🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Isn't it a lie ??
Page options
rohan999
Community Member

Isn't it a lie ??

When the first time Upwork made the connects premium, same time Upwork said that client won't be able to send more that 3 invitations and Upwork is doing that that for making this platform even for everyone. And now we are seeing that clients are inviting 10-15 invitations or even more for free. So why did Upwork lie that time ??? And what's the reason behind that ? I barely get a few invitations and when I open that I see client already sent 15 invitations. Is it a joke ? 

23 REPLIES 23
prestonhunter
Community Member

I don't remember Upwork ever saying that they reason they were restricting the number of free invitations to 3 per job posting was in order to make the platform even for everyone.

If they said something like that, then I will have to take your word for it.

At this point in time. I do not care what they said in the past about this. I did not like that limitation when it was implemented. I much prefer the higher number of 15.

I posted a job today. I invited more than 3 people to the job. I am glad as a client that I may do so for free.

As a freelancer, I prefer the limit of 15 versus 3.

It does not cost me any connects to respond to an invitation.

So I do not see a downside to myself as a freelancer to raising that limit.

I know it doesnt bother clients like you to invite 15 or more unnecessarily as long as its just a mouse click. And I always found ameture/new clients doing that. Big budget clients always know what they are looking for and who exactly are capable of doing that. And if someone invites 15 people for a $10-20 job of background removing then I think he is not reasonable here in Upwork. There are so many other platforms where buyers and sellers got plenty of time to play around. Here I attached a screenshot what Upwork said back then. Thanks.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Rohan S wrote:

I know it doesnt bother clients like you to invite 15 or more unnecessarily as long as its just a mouse click. And I always found ameture/new clients doing that. Big budget clients always know what they are looking for and who exactly are capable of doing that. And if someone invites 15 people for a $10-20 job of background removing then I think he is not reasonable here in Upwork. There are so many other platforms where buyers and sellers got plenty of time to play around. Here I attached a screenshot what Upwork said back then. Thanks.

As much as I love Petra, she is not Upwork. But she was right, they did, at that time, have to upgrade the job to invite more than 3 freelancers. Upwork may have chosen to change that policy. But Upwork is free to change policies as they see fit to improve business. Clients being able to invite more than 3 freelancers is to all of our benefit. Why do you think it's not to your benefit? If only 3 freelancers can apply for free (are invited), and you were 4th on the client's invite list, wouldn't you want to get to apply for free versus having to pay? 

Thanks a lot. At least you know that fact that they said that once. Thing is when they first remove free connects same time they said that from that moment freelancer will buy connects and clients will be limited to 3 invitations. We asked "why ?"  they said that it's for so that every freelancer gets equal opportunities. I have talked several times back then about this with Upwork as after that policy, the number of invitations dramaticaly dropped. That was the reason I knocked them. I don't have their mails stored anymore that's why I attached her screenshot. But if you say Upwork has the rights to change anything, that's a different thing. Obviously they can do whatever they want. What my point is that they said something and later they disregard that. And as far as the benefits. I don't see any benefits. I would always like to fight with two other qualified freelancers rather than 15.

petra_r
Community Member

Rohan S wrote:

Here I attached a screenshot what Upwork said back then. Thanks.

No, you didn't. You posted a screenshot of an out-of-context response of mine. Please remove it from your post immediately.

Also, what I said in no way supports your claim that Upwork said that they're "doing that that for making this platform even for everyone."

You just made that part up.

Now remove the screenshot.

Ultimately Upwork has every right to change things dynamically and adjust the number of invites that it allows clients to send out to find what works best.

Heaven knows why you think that's "a lie" - Things change.

rohan999
Community Member

So you are admitting that, It was changed later ? Or who was wrong back then ? You or Upwork ? 

tlbp
Community Member

Why does Upwork need to make things even? Upwork makes money when freelancers earn money. The more and faster freelancers earn, the better for Upwork. It's not a job development NGO. 

rohan999
Community Member

It's a job development NGO or not that's not the question. They have policies. Back then they said that limiting the invitations is for give equal chances to all freelancers and after that they changed that to previous line.

Rohan S wrote:

It's a job development NGO or not that's not the question. They have policies. Back then they said that limiting the invitations is for give equal chances to all freelancers and after that they changed that to previous line.

There used to be free connects as well. Things change. Ignore the clients that still send out 100+ invites and stick to the ToS. 

Yes. That's the thing. They said they did that for make the platform clean and more functional for both freelancers and clients. And they again brought that same thing they once removed.

petra_r
Community Member

Rohan S wrote:

Back then they said that limiting the invitations is for give equal chances to all freelancers 

No, they never said anything of the sort.

rohan999
Community Member

So that means you were wrong then ?

petra_r
Community Member

Rohan S wrote:

So that means you were wrong then ?

Oh for crying out loud.

They never gave the reason for restricting invites to 3 you keep falsly claiming they gave. You claim they said the reason  "is for give equal chances to all freelancers" which is obviously nonsense. It wouldn't do anything of the sort and they never said anything like that.

Upwork can change and adapt their policies however they feel serves their business best. They don't have to ask your permission. 

I also don't understand why you are so outraged about it. If clients are restricted as to how many invites the send, you get less invites. How's that good for you?

rohan999
Community Member

I talked with Upwork and they said like that. And I don't need to make anything up as I am not here with a friendly conversation with you. And it's not the question whether I get benifits or not. I asked whether they changed it or not. Neither upwork needs my nor your permission, I got that. I didn't post your screenshot referring to Upwork's comment. I posted that because that person didn't know that restriction ever took place.

petra_r
Community Member

Rohan S wrote:

I didn't post your screenshot referring to Upwork's comment. I posted that because that person didn't know that restriction ever took place.

Which person? You are completely confused. You posted my comment claiming it proved that Upwork said something or the other. Nobody questioned that there was a restriction. Everyone questioned whether Upwork said it was for your claimed reason.

Rohan S wrote:

I talked with Upwork and they said like that. 

You didn't "talk with Upwork" - at best you talked to some support-rep.

rohan999
Community Member

I would like not to have you comment on any of my future content.

Rohan S wrote:

I would like not to have you comment on any of my future content.

You don't get to decide who is commenting here.

Man, it's a good thing the three-invite limit was trashed. You don't want Upwork limiting the number of invites.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

I'm 99% sure that the three invitation limit was to convince clients to upgrade their membership or pay extra to get more invitations, and had nothing to do with being fair to freelancers. No freelancer in their right mind wants to get fewer invitations, and many of us (including me) complained about this policy at the time. But I'm guessing that many clients must have complained as well, and/or fewer jobs resulted in hires, or Upwork wouldn't have changed it. It would be pretty stupid for a business not to change something if it isn't working out; this is not the same as "lying". What you're really saying is that because you aren't getting enough invitations, you don't think that other freelancers should be allowed to get invitations either. If the only way that you can get work is by limiting your competition, then you need to re-think your marketing strategy.

Christine A wrote:
What you're really saying is that because you aren't getting enough invitations, you don't think that other freelancers should be allowed to get invitations either.

He gets about 12 a month, which is pretty much in line with his category and market-sector/demographic

lysis10
Community Member

The invite limitation was the dark times.

Nope! Not at all. I got plenty of invitations. But the problem is that's not helping me at all. I see they are interviwing 20 people for a project of just $15. That's not a decent thing. Back then there the hiring rate vs invitatios was pretty good. Right  now it's a mess. We get an invitation, we recieve that and later found they are interviwing 15-20 people. And among them 70-80% are less experienced or not experienced at all. That means a client is sending invitaions to 5 experienced freelancers and same time 10 beginners. If there was a limitation then the client would think a bit seriously that exactly what kind of freelancers he is looking for and who can do their job better. Right now it's more like shooting 20 rounds randomly and hoping for one will hit the target somehow. That's my point. And when I Contacted with Upwork back then, they said it would help everyone having a fair chances. But afterthat they changed that as well. 

Christine A wrote:
I'm 99% sure that the three invitation limit was to convince clients to upgrade their membership or pay extra to get more invitations, and had nothing to do with being fair to freelancers. No freelancer in their right mind wants to get fewer invitations, and many of us (including me) complained about this policy at the time. But I'm guessing that many clients must have complained as well, and/or fewer jobs resulted in hires, or Upwork wouldn't have changed it. It would be pretty stupid for a business not to change something if it isn't working out; this is not the same as "lying". What you're really saying is that because you aren't getting enough invitations, you don't think that other freelancers should be allowed to get invitations either. If the only way that you can get work is by limiting your competition, then you need to re-think your marketing strategy.

I would say 75% of the complaints about Upwork can really be summed up as "I can't succeed in a competitive market, shift things so that they favor me." 

So what, Rohan. Upwork - like any other business - has the right to change their policies and that does not mean they are lying. Give it up, man.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members