kotchnev
Community Member

Issue was solved 4

Issue was solved 4

14 REPLIES 14
petra_r
Community Member

Andrew K wrote:

I am resident of Russia. I am going to move to US for a month. I will live in a flat rented via airbnb. May I change my location in profile in US in this case? And will I able to do this?

Don't. You won't be "living" in the USA, you are also not "moving to" the USA if you're visiting for a month, and may not have a work permit / work visa etc.

If you want to do this in order to have access to US only jobs, you'd have to prove your US residence and you can't do that.

kotchnev
Community Member

I am not asking about changing my location right now. I am asking about changing my location when I physically will be located in US.

And I am not asking about US law related to work permit/visa etc. I am asking about Upworks rules. I read several topics here related to location. And it look like Location in Profile should reflect my physical location, and not my citizenship.

petra_r
Community Member

Andrew K wrote:

I am not asking about changing my location right now. I am asking about changing my location when I physically will be located in US.

You won't be able to prove residence in the USA.

Andrew K wrote:

And I am not asking about US law related to work permit/visa etc.

You may not... Upwork, however, may well do so.  

Andrew K wrote:

I am asking about Upworks rules. I read several topics here related to location. And it look like Location in Profile should reflect my physical location, and not my citizenship.

It has to reflect where you live, not where you visit. 

If you set your profile to US you'll be asked for a US driving licence or US ID, or proof of residence, and/or your Employment Authorization card...

kotchnev
Community Member

Here is a similar question https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Location/m-p/695953

And the answer is "This refers to where you live currently."

And "live" here means physical location, not citizenship.

petra_r
Community Member

Andrew K wrote:

Here is a similar question https://community.upwork.com/t5/New-to-Upwork/Location/m-p/695953

And the answer is "This refers to where you live currently."

And "live" here means physical location, not citizenship.

You will not "LIVE" in the USA. You will be visiting. For a few weeks.

But please, just go ahead and when you are asked to provide the required paperwork by Upwork and can't, see your account suspended like the lady from India who was stuck without access to her Upwork earnings because her account could not be reinstated until she could prove that she was no longer in the USA...

main-qimg-255f278b236711412d5f1b1d54a84bb5.png

kotchnev
Community Member

I do not care about "lady from India". I am care about Upworks rules.

So are saying to me that Community Guru Preston H gave wrong unswer in thread that I mentioned? Or are you saying that Upwork rules differ in different countries (US vs Egypt in our case)?

petra_r
Community Member

Andrew K wrote:

Or are you saying that Upwork rules differ in different countries (US vs Egypt in our case)?

Upwork don't care too much about what freelancers do in other countries, but with the USA being so strict on matters of immigration and people working on the wrong visa, and Upwork being a USA based business, they very much care what freelancers do IN THE USA because it has the potential off affecting them, as it is Upwork who send you the money.

Also, the point is pretty moot because you could not prove residence in the USA by means of US issued ID documents such as a US driving licence, ID card, passport or Employment authorization card, let alone any utility bills. If you change your location to the USA, you will be asked to verify that. You won't be able to. Game over.

Hi Andrew,

I would like to confirm that you can update your address if you`re moving to another location for a longer period of time. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork

Goran V wrote:

Hi Andrew,

I would like to confirm that you can update your address if you`re moving to another location for a longer period of time. Thank you.

This reply is terribly misleading. The address used on Upwork should be the address the freelancer is registered and pays taxes. It is obvious that the OP will only be "move to US for a month" mixing moving and visiting. I am sure people will keep an eye out his profile now and flag it as soon as the location changes. So if he interpretes your reply as a 'go ahead and change your location to US' he might end up getting kicked off the platform.

kotchnev
Community Member

OK. Thank you. Now it became clear.

lysis10
Community Member

Andrew K wrote:

I am resident of Russia. I am going to move to US for a month. I will live in a flat rented via airbnb. May I change my location in profile in US in this case? And will I able to do this? Or are there different red tapings will occur like "proof your location by providing electicity bill on behalf of your name" or similar which will intervene me to change my location?

You gon be another NO REASON stat, son, if you try to do this. Best to not even log in while in the US, because we all know nobody has documents to prove residency and ability to work for a month. You better avoid or you'll be crying on reddit that you got banned for NO REASON.

Listen to Petra.

kotchnev
Community Member

Jennifer M, thank you, grandma, for your advice.

lysis10
Community Member

Andrew K wrote:

Jennifer M, thank you, grandma, for your advice.

lmao well played, my boy. HAHAHA 

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Andrew K wrote:

I am resident of Russia. I am going to move to US for a month. I will live in a flat rented via airbnb. May I change my location in profile in US in this case? And will I able to do this? Or are there different red tapings will occur like "proof your location by providing electicity bill on behalf of your name" or similar which will intervene me to change my location?

You don't change your location when you go for a vacation somewhere. If you spend a few weeks in the US, there is really no need to worry about that at all, because you will not be working in the US, as you don't have a working visa, and you likely don't want to risk deportation or other unpleasant ramifications. Be aware that US immigration has the internet too.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths