🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Issue with an hourly project
Page options
eed824e7
Community Member

Issue with an hourly project

I've got this client I'm working for, I'm to rebuild her website, Initially, I told her 12hrs for 3 weeks and she said she could do 10hrs instead, I obliged. Here's the problem, I'm **Edited for Community Guidelines** into this project and I just realized it's more complex than I thought, her website has more content than I anticipated, Most part of the website is also static, so it makes it harder.

I don't see myself even remotely completing this project in 30hrs (10hrs * 3weeks) I would need additional 40hrs to the 19hrs I've already done if I'm to get this project completed. I've approached her to work things out with her, but she's blaming me and saying I'm unprofessional and I lied to her. Truth is, none of this was a lie, unprofessional?, I agree So right now I'm blaming myself for it, I made a mistake, but it's quite hard to totally determine how many hours a project will really take just by looking at it She has offered to meet me halfway, In her own words, "She would pay for an additional 11.5 hours over the agreed 36 hours and you will complete the other 11.5 hours not paid. Which means you are still getting 15.00 per hour to complete it and I have to pay an additional $345.00 over what you proposed."

I could accept that, but I'm also feeling really bad about this, I feel like I lied to her, I feel like I'm cheating her and I hate to cheat people, I'm thinking of not asking her to pay any additional like I would work for the remaining 40hrs for free and not get paid. It's important to note that, this client has never given me any problems, I've worked for her before, so she's really calm and understanding. I don't want to destroy the relationship I've built with her.

oh, and for what it's worth?, I'm not being this considerate because she'll write a bad review, I'm a Top-rated seller and I can always get rid of it, I've never used that part of Toprated perk before and I don't want to ever use it, not on a good client, that perk is meant for **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

In my 3yrs of freelancing, I've never really had an issue with any client before, I don't want to have any problem with this woman, What do I do now?

1 REPLY 1
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Kevin,

While I can't advise you what steps to take, I can recommend to communicate the details with your client and determine the best course of action that is the best fit for you and your client. 
I would also suggest going over all the details of the projects so that you can have a more accurate estimation about the hours you will need or anything else. 

If you have any additional questions, feel free to follow up here. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members