Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's My Birthday! OMG My Pay Didn't Show Up /wrists

Highlighted
Community Leader
Matthew T Member Since: Nov 18, 2017
1 of 17

Wow, the one time I actually NEEDED things to work the way they always do, man ouch, I had a couple contracts come to completion and get paid out by the clients last Sunday and one on Monday, and was so looking forward to them becoming available on time so that I could use them to travel to where my celebration is this evening, pulled a couple all-nighters to complete the larger project quickly and still 5-star it.

So when the funds became available yesterday I breathed a sigh of relief and sent them on over to Bank of America, they never showed, I called the bank and they didn't receive a ping from our Escrow, I looked at it again on UW transactions and saw that it said that the transfer I did yesterday, wasn't done until today (I'm UTC -6), still though, cool today is still good , but no luck it's 7 AM now and not sure if I should even hope to see it.

A lot of things go wrong, and there isn't ever anything you can really do about it except push through and make sure your clients and yourself come out the better for it. And I know the pay gets floozy time and again, it's not something I generally concern myself with, it's just that this one time, I really, really needed it to work right.

There's no recourse, no one to call and verify anything on UpWork's side, all the documentation gives sufficiently "fluffy" average time periods, any support email will quote the "fluffy" averages and I don't know. It's just disappointing, do you ever just feel completely powerless with no where to turn and no way to fix it yourself?

I'm not sure if I am sad for myself or those who are throwing the party, I do not usually celebrate holidays or birthdays, I'm an introvert of the highest caliber, or was, I used to be Deaf, I received Cochlear Implants last year, learned to speak, and hear and make friends... and it's almost like an obligation as much as a clients needs, a group of friends throwing you a party and planning a outing, I feel like betraying a contract. Not that cold, just not sure how to express that.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
2 of 17

That s*cks Smiley Sad

How much is the ticket? Can't you borrow some?

The problem is that at least here in Europe if something does not hit the bank account on Friday, it does not get through until Monday.

Highlighted
Community Leader
3 of 17

Petra R wrote:

That s*cks Smiley Sad

How much is the ticket? Can't you borrow some?.

It is actually close enough (in Texas thinking) that I was going to drive it, but it would run about 100 for gas alone, or do you all call it "petro" A sad thing, I sat here a bit before writing the post, thinking to myself, "Someone can loan it to me, I pay my debts" but when I say I was a full on introvert, I mean it, being Deaf I could and would go months on end without human interaction, it wasn't until I began to hear and speak that I learned any kind of social skills, so the list of friends to hit up, are the f'ers always borrowing from me, HA!

The problem is that at least here in Europe if something does not hit the bank account on Friday, it does not get through until Monday.

Now that S**ks, and what I am terrified UW might do, pretty much all banking institutionis in America accept, send, and credit electronic deposits in real-time no matter what time it is or what day. I do my primary client billing through Square, and the instant that a client pays an invoice, I can transfer the funds into Bank of America and they be available for use immidietely, works the same way once UpWork finally releases funds, instant access once sent. it's all electronic now, the "business days" and "fluff days" you find in disclaimers are no reflection of how it actually works.

That makes it more stressful, and why I was saying it's depressing that there is no one to call to verify anything on UW side, all the documentation refers to very FLUFFY number of days before a transfer arrives at your bank and I looked through the forums and it looks like the mods just all quote the documentation, so, no one to ask.

Highlighted
Community Guru
4 of 17

Matthew, there is no point asking Upwork, they can not speed up transfers between their bank and your bank. Once the money u´is in the system it can't be seen or touched.

Bank to bank takes a day or 2 or three in most cases

Highlighted
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
5 of 17

I am in the US and my bank transfers usually take 1-2 days.  I always get paid through Paypal, which is instantaneous, and then transfer what I don't need immediately to my bank.  So sorry to hear that you've had this experience.

Highlighted
Community Leader
6 of 17

Thank you Mary, I appreciate that, I didn't mean to rant, not really, I accept the inevitabilty of the situation, my dog got tired of me asking him why the process would deviate from one instance to another, with the same institutions.

So I came hoping to see what others had experianced and have found that it really does vary to some degree and add credence to the 4-day estimate given by the documentation. I also used to use PayPal, prior to adopting Square for client invoicing.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 17

For whatever reason, you won't see that money until Tuesday. Anything withdrawn Thurs-Sunday isn't in your bank account until Tues. Anything withdrawn Mon-Wed is in your account in 2 days. The Thurs withdraw is what throws me off. Not sure why it takes so long when money can be deposited on a Saturday. But it's been that way for a long time.

If you need the money right away, spend the $2 to send to PayPal. Withdraw from PayPal. Morning withdraws you'll see same day. At night, you will see it the next day unless it's really late. I think PayPal says by 6pm PST to see money the next day.

Community Guru
8 of 17

Jennifer M wrote:

If you need the money right away, spend the $2 to send to PayPal. Withdraw from PayPal. Morning withdraws you'll see same day. At night, you will see it the next day unless it's really late.

Or Payoneer. 10 minutes.

Highlighted
Community Leader
9 of 17

Petra R wrote:

Jennifer M wrote:

If you need the money right away, spend the $2 to send to PayPal. Withdraw from PayPal. Morning withdraws you'll see same day. At night, you will see it the next day unless it's really late.

Or Payoneer. 10 minutes.

Please gods NO! I won't I refuse I refute I demure to give anymore of my money to Paypal or the like, Payoneer? That's a cool name though

I just finally broke myself free of PayPal a couple months ago, for years I let them drain me financially, it's bad enough the cuts that we pay as Freelancers, there's nothing left, in my opinion, for just another uneeded step in the process, straight from UW to Bank is generally instant, so the only flusteration is waiting for UW to release it, someday, you know what I mean, period of waiting after the client pays before we have access.

Highlighted
Community Leader
10 of 17

Jennifer M wrote:

For whatever reason, you won't see that money until Tuesday. Anything withdrawn Thurs-Sunday isn't in your bank account until Tues. Anything withdrawn Mon-Wed is in your account in 2 days. The Thurs withdraw is what throws me off. Not sure why it takes so long when money can be deposited on a Saturday. But it's been that way for a long time.

Sorry Ma'am, what is it you are basing those numbers on? my bank, Bank of America, Fort Worth branch, transfer from UpWork Escrow are credited as soon as initiated, I always notice it later the same day.

Which banking institution does the schedule in which you refer apply to?

Edit: I should note that in an effort to see if there was any kind of wait "sometimes" I went back and reviewed all my previous withdraws and the coinciding deposits at the bank, it looks like a couple of times it has taken a couple of days but otherwise, instant.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS