cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a SCAM!

Desiree B Member Since: Feb 11, 2016
1 of 100

There was a scam attempt  from this client **edited for Community Guidelines** last night after i was instructed to connect via Hangouts IM for an online interview.  They asked for my complete name, age and adress then proceeded to the interview. After a series of questions the client confirmed i was hired and introduced me to these softwares .

Myob business essentials software 2015, US Patent Single, Users Pack simply accounting 2015,Apple Final Cut Express 3.5 HD Upgrade,Norton Ghost 9.0,Microsoft Office XP 2016 Standard Upgrade,Peach tree Premium Accounting 2016.

Said i need to purchase all of them to get started ASAP and that i have to get them from the company's certified vendor, means of payment acceptable by the vendor agent is via /Money Gram. The Cost is $150 but i will be reimbursed along with my first weekly paycheck next week. 

I have read about the same scenario on the internet and declined the offer. Told the client i know it's a scam. Smiley Mad Smiley Mad

Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
BEST ANSWER
2 of 100

Good job catching this!  BTW, they don't need to know either your address or age.  Be sure to report this jerk to Upwork as well.

3 of 100

Already flagged the job post as inappropriate. Thanks!

Jonni I Member Since: Dec 26, 2018
4 of 100

So I do not understand this scam, who makes the money? the website that sells the MYOB software?

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
5 of 100

Hi Desiree, 

I edited your post because it violated the Upwork Community Guidelines. Just the same, thank you for reporting the job post, and flagging it as inappropriate. Please continue reporting clients who violate the Upwork Terms of Service to ensure that there are only quality and honest jobs for our freelancers. We will also continue doing the same!

Avery

-Avery
Untitled
6 of 100

Hi Avery, thank you for editing my post. It was my first time posting in the Upwork Community. I'll make sure to take note of the quidelines. Smiley Happy

Chirag H Member Since: Aug 9, 2018
7 of 100

hello mam , 

i also did face this kind of examples i did complete interview yesterday and they said me to buy some software from their vendor so im thinking about that what to do next about this. help me .

thank you

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
8 of 100

I'm sorry to learn about your experience, Chirag.

I would suggest to stop communicating with this client as these types of jobs are usually associated with scams. In addition to that, please also note that clients are not allowed to request for free test work. In the future, please flag these clients job post as inappropriate so that the team can review and take action as they see fit. 

-Avery
Untitled
Melissa W Member Since: Feb 15, 2016
9 of 100

I just got a SCAM kinda like this today! It seems like that is all I have been getting since I merged over to Upwork from Elance. I got another SCAM just like this one last week! Its really annoying

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
10 of 100

Melissa,

Elance was never exempt from any of the scams that can be found on Upwork.

However, it scored with its extremely efficient reporting system - sadly lacking on Upwork.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS