cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a SCAM!

Lizzette R Member Since: Jun 29, 2015
71 of 100

I stupidly fell for this scam even though I knew it was too good to be true. I emailed the person the scammer was impersonating, but besides that, I don't know what to do. This person now has my address and contact info.  Advice??

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
72 of 100

Hi Lizzette, 

We recommend not to meet client requests where they ask for your personal information Clients normally don't need this information and you can share with them your general location if that's a need. But, sharing your personal address is not something you should provide.

I would recommend that you read up on these freelancer resources and these tips for avoiding questionable jobs for help getting started, and for more information about working safely through Upwork.

You should be able to flag the job post as inappropriate by going to the job post and clicking on the "Flag as inappropriate" button, or sending the job post link directly to the Customer Support Team for their review.

-Avery
Untitled
Lizzette R Member Since: Jun 29, 2015
73 of 100

The FBI has been notified of the situation.

Cristina Lynn M Member Since: Dec 26, 2018
74 of 100
I had an interview today thru outlook and got hired. The person asked me to purchase softwares and sent me a check.

MYOB business essentials software 2017, For Peach Tree premium
For Peach Tree premium 2017 US Patent Single Users Pack, Adobe Photoshop 2016, Adobe Acrobat 2017, Ariba 2017, ASP 2017, CSS 2017, Dreamweaver 2017, HTML 2017, Illustrator 2017, Microsoft Access 2017, Microsoft Excel 2017, Microsoft Word 2017, MySQL 2017, PHP 2017, UNIX 2017, XML 2017, Vendor Management 7 2017, MacBook Pro - the model with a 13-in. screen and 2.4GHz chip.

I am new here and not sure if this is legit or a scam. Please advise.
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
75 of 100

Huge scam.

76 of 100
They asked me to deposit the check and the bank declined it.
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
77 of 100

they got one

so how much did you send them?

78 of 100
They sent me a check, and ask me to deposit it to my bank. My bank declined it. Saying it is an unacceptable item.
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
79 of 100

@Cristina Lynn M wrote:
They sent me a check, and ask me to deposit it to my bank. My bank declined it. Saying it is an unacceptable item.

They didn't harass you to send them a wire transfer for the "extra" amount?

80 of 100
No. They sent me the check after they told me that I need to purchase the softwares I mentioned above. Then they asked me to send them a confirmation if the check went through. After depositing the check thru my mobile bank app, I researched about the softwares, particularly MYOB business essentials software 2017, I found discussions here.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS