cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a SCAM!

Lizzette R Member Since: Jun 29, 2015
91 of 100
Definitely. Thank you. I’m definitely going to be more aware next time.
Hafsa D Member Since: Feb 18, 2019
92 of 100
I’m in the same satuation. What my bank will do?
How this scam can harm me?
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
93 of 100

Hafsa D wrote:
I’m in the same satuation. What my bank will do?
How this scam can harm me?

the check is fake (of course)

you could lose the money, your account could be closed and the police involved.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
94 of 100

Is the FBI page to report this stuff functional? I went to report a telemarketer that wants to save me on non-existing tax debt who also promised to stop calling me to the FTC and the closed the page due to government shutdown. So I guess it's just anarchy and I just mess with them now and tell them sign me up and give them fake info.

So hey lady how money you out? You just bought someone in some far off country a nice stolen merc.

95 of 100
Fortunately I’m not out any money.
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
96 of 100

Lizzette R wrote:
Fortunately I’m not out any money.

oic well then that's good. You're their perfect target, friendo. Might want to read up on internets and scammers.

Sara J Member Since: Jun 27, 2016
97 of 100

I have had my identity stolen from Upwork before with just the information that is visible on my profile to Upwork users only.  The opened merchant accounts in my name then hand keyed stolen credit card numbers to pad that account and then let all their merchant account fees go delinquent and next thing I knew I was getting contacted by these banks threatening to put the owed debts into collections.

I immediately filed a report with the FTC and my local police department.  Once I had the FTC report and the police report only then could I prove to these banks that they are fraudulent accounts and get them shut down.  Then came tax time when I get a IRS notice that I need to claim these merchant accounts...so I had to file a 14039 affidavit so the IRS would mark those accounts as actually being fraudulent...which is where my police report and the FTC report I initially filed literally saved my behind.

It is 2019, everything and everyone is online, and chances are someone has all your personal information in one form or another.  Yes you need to try to be more aware but even the best people fall prey so do not ever feel "stupid" for it happening because chances are the people who tell you that, their info could be next in line to be used.  I have done extensive research into ID theft since my encounter and the numbers are scary and staggering.  What's worse is how incredibly easy it is to get someones personal and financial info.

While we are a "virtual" community, do not act like none of us function in the real world.  We are all here for the same reason and want the same outcomes and if we don't support each other then none of this would be possible.  With that said, these scammers are, in fact, using REAL LIFE peoples identities and information to try to scam another individual and that is not okay and action needs to be taken in one form or another.  I personally would want to be told if someone was using my identity and info to do this to someone, but not everyone cares or thinks it is a big deal...it just comes down to doing what you feel is right.  I did not contact the person whose information was being illegally used (an architect in Vermont...with a thriving reputable firm that does some amazing work)...key word here is "ILLEGALLY" being used...just because it's online and not in-person doesn't mean it doesn't break laws.  

We will never solve this problem, and yes, in the end it is our own responsiblity to vet these people before getting too far but sometimes it is just so well done that we are fooled, it happens, that is our society today.  BUT, the more tools we have at our disposal could do nothing but further help us protect ourselves and possibly others on Upwork and anywhere else.  We REALLY need to be able to see real factual information about clients on Upwork, they should be required to have a profile photo, they should be required to have a verified form of payment on file before they are allowed to post jobs.  At times Upwork treats the freelancers like the enemy with all our verifications we have to go through, even to change our profile picture...yet they are allowing these scammers to post jobs like it's nothing...with little to verification process.  Yes people will lie about doing the work and get paid for it...but more times that Upwork realizes freelancers do the work and do not get paid for it because their client is not real and had no intention of paying.

The more we report these people to Upwork hopefully they will see just how many there are on this site and begin to do something about it.  So keep this dialog open, keep it fresh with updates, report scams to Upwork and do what your gut tells you whether it is reaching out to the real life human they are impersonating or filing with the FTC or like me, I had to freeze my credit on top of it all.  Internet and Virtual do not mean "fake"...they slide into reality a lot faster that you realize.

Good luck everyone!  Stay vigilant but not scared of taking chances...and have a wonderful and successful 2019!!

-Sara J

Hafsa D Member Since: Feb 18, 2019
98 of 100
How could it harm me? Or my bank account?
99 of 100
Notify your bank immediately. They will likely be very understanding of the situation. Depending on the bank they may charge you a fee for depositing a fake check but it won’t go further. Your bank account is safe unless you gave this person your account number, etc.

The police will not get involved unless you inform them.
Carla P Member Since: Apr 21, 2019
100 of 100

You guys! I was msged this yesterday! I wouldn't have seen this if it wasn't for searching for the programs that they said I would need. What in the world! I had a feeling that i could get frauded but this is on another level. The stupid thing they told me was that they needed my username and password for the online banking and I told him that I wouldn't be able to do that. So he said okay that's fine. So there I go giving him another option and he said he will send a check instead. You guys this company is

**edited for Community Guidelines**. Thank you so much for this! Almost fell for it..

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS