cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a SCAM!

Dewan Md A Member Since: Feb 26, 2017
11 of 100

ok .. same here .. This job posting is similar and asking for me to work outside upwork

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
12 of 100

Hi Dewan,

Please note that the job post you're referring to has been already cancelled and the client removed from the platform by our team. Please stop communicating with the two clients you recently communicated with, make sure only to work and accept payment through Upwork and review these safety tips.

Susan B Member Since: Mar 16, 2017
13 of 100

Well, it is March, 2017 and they are still up to the same old scam. I, too, was approached through Upworks. Exact same scenario too. I am in contact with them right now through Hangouts.

Anyone have any idea how we can help the FCC catch these people?

I can't believe anyone would actually fall for this, but apparently it happens all too often. I would like to be able to help put them in jail. LOL

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
14 of 100

Hi Susan,

The job and the client's account you are referring to have already been removed from Upwork because they were violating ToS. 

~ Valeria
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
15 of 100

re: "Anyone have any idea how we can help the FCC catch these people?"

The FCC can't do anything about these people.

The FCC is a U.S. agency and the perpetrators do not live in the U.S.

The way to stop the scammers is to train newbie freelancers on Upwork to not participate in the scams. Otherwise, the scammers will always be with us.

I really do believe this is true. Because the scammers NEVER contact me. They're just doing what they do for money. They know there is no money to be made from somebody with my level of experience. So they do NOT waste their time contacting me. Ever.

If scammers found that trying their scams on Upwork freelancers NEVER worked, and they NEVER made money here, then they would go away.

So Upwork either institutes training. Or it accepts scammers. Those are the two choices.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
16 of 100

The third choice is that Upwork does a better job screening out the scamming clients. They're really pretty obvious once one recognizes the hallmarks.

Client accounts with no payment verification should not be allowed to post a job looking for multiple freelancers, or to send invites to freelancers. That would limit quite a lot of the usual suspects.

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
17 of 100

@Jess C wrote:

The third choice is that Upwork does a better job screening out the scamming clients. They're really pretty obvious once one recognizes the hallmarks.

Most of the scams take place off site, usually Google Hangouts. Upwork can't check on anything offsite. Even on site, Upwork can't monitor every single message between a client and freelancer. Since freelancing is your business it is up to you to know what to look for and to be prepared for. It's also up to you to notify Upwork of any scam messages taking place between the client and yourself.

Client accounts with no payment verification should not be allowed to post a job looking for multiple freelancers, or to send invites to freelancers. That would limit quite a lot of the usual suspects.

Again, freelancers need to be responsible for their freelancing Business. I've worked with a few clients who were new and did not have any verification on their accounts. All you have to do at that point is not to start working until their account is verified and escrow is Fully funded for the job or milestones (as they come up). It's never been a problem for me. No verification/escrow no work.

Community Guru
Jess C Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
18 of 100

@Kathy T wrote:

@Jess C wrote:

Most of the scams take place off site, usually Google Hangouts. Upwork can't check on anything offsite. Even on site, Upwork can't monitor every single message between a client and freelancer. Since freelancing is your business it is up to you to know what to look for and to be prepared for. It's also up to you to notify Upwork of any scam messages taking place between the client and yourself.

Again, freelancers need to be responsible for their freelancing Business. I've worked with a few clients who were new and did not have any verification on their accounts. All you have to do at that point is not to start working until their account is verified and escrow is Fully funded for the job or milestones (as they come up). It's never been a problem for me. No verification/escrow no work.

Yes, of course, freelancers need to be responsible for their own business, but Upwork can do more to make the platform a place that freelancers and clients can both have more confidence in. The half-dozen scams I just reported this morning all had these hallmarks: brand new account, no payment verification, looking for multiple freelancers, sent out at least 10 invites, job description consisting of the definition of graphic designer or logo designer copied right from Upwork's own "tooltips." There's no reason Upwork couldn't screen these out.

Community Guru
James S Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
19 of 100

@Preston H wrote:

The way to stop the scammers is to train newbie freelancers on Upwork to not participate in the scams. Otherwise, the scammers will always be with us.

Agreed, the scam works; that's why they keep doing it. 

@Preston H wrote:

Because the scammers NEVER contact me. They're just doing what they do for money. They know there is no money to be made from somebody with my level of experience. So they do NOT waste their time contacting me. Ever.

Even when I was brand new here, I never received any scam offers/invites. But I would know how to spot it from a mile away. 

Maybe before getting a new freelancer profile approved, along with the video verification that they have to watch a video or webinar on how to spot a scam and explain the most common one. It really does blow me away how many post are here on the form about the scam and people keep falling for it. 

Monna E Member Since: Mar 17, 2017
20 of 100

I have been searching since early yesterday morning and I finally found my answer.  My situation is almost completely the same, "word for word" but with the difference that they will send me a check to buy the equipment I need to work with.

I have not signed anything and have not given out any personal information such as social security number, or bank account number.  

Too many red flags have bugged me all night and I was right to trust my gut instincts. 

I was so anxious to get this position, I let them pull me off of the Upwork platform and now I know that's the #1 red flag. 

I hope everyone has a safe and productive day (the right way).

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS