cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a SCAM!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
21 of 100

Hi Monna,

We'll have the client you are referring to checked by the team. Please review this post and hopefully it'll help you avoid similar jobs in the future.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Monna E Member Since: Mar 17, 2017
22 of 100

Thank you,  Valeria K

I have read the post you mentioned and thank you.  

I'm just happy that inner voice kept after me that something wasn't right. 

Radmila K Member Since: Apr 1, 2017
23 of 100

Can you please help me, I have got the same job proposal and we talked through Google Hangouts, which was not odd for me, since I already have clients and we use that platform. I googled the software they asked me to buy and found out that it is a scam. Can you please help me? I have flagged the proposal as inapropriate. Is there anything else I can do? I don't want other persons to be scammed.

Community Guru
Carolyn G Member Since: Mar 20, 2017
24 of 100

Hi Radmila,

Thank you so much for reporting this job as a scam, we take that very seriously. I am going to send you a private message regarding this issue to confirm the job post has already been removed.

~Carolyn
Untitled
Sahar K Member Since: Apr 25, 2017
25 of 100

i was also got hired for the same kind of a job and told to purchase those softwares. As i was confused and was searching about those softwares i found your post. thank you so much for sharing this. i feel relived . because the job offer, benifits , and salary pakage was so attractive that couldn't keep my self from constantly thinking about this. As i am new on upwork and this was my first job purposal i was super excieted when i got hired but thank GOD.  

Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
26 of 100

Hi Sahar,

I see the client you communicated with yesterday was removed from Upwork by our team already for violating Upwork ToS. Please stop communicating with this client, review the red flags and safety advice we shared, make sure to accept payments only through Upwork and never pay in order to get hired or start working. Also, go through the guides, tutorials, courses, videos, Help articles and Community discussions compiled in the this thread, designed to help new users get started on Upwork. 

Natalie L Member Since: Jun 26, 2017
27 of 100

Is this still on-going? I've been contacted by **Edited for Community Guidelines**, same sort of situation via hangouts. They said I'd receive a payment (if I took the job) to pay for the required software. I don't want to be involved in some sort of scam, but I have looked **Edited for Community Guidelines** up and they are an actual company. Any advice or experience?

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
28 of 100

@Natalie L wrote:

Is this still on-going? I've been contacted by **Edited for Community Guidelines**, same sort of situation via hangouts. They said I'd receive a payment (if I took the job) to pay for the required software. I don't want to be involved in some sort of scam, but I have looked Erie group insurance up and they are an actual company. Any advice or experience?

It is of course a scam, and the company you looked up may well exist, but the scammer has nothing to do with them.

OF COURSE nobody will send you a check for software, if some client wanted you to have software they would just buy it for you and send you the licence key.

This is one of the oldest, dumbest scams on the book.... 

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
29 of 100

Hi Natalie,

The job you are referring to has already been removed as inappropriate and you'll see that the proposal has been withdrawn. As Petra pointed out, it's a common scam and you should never agree to accept payments off the platform for any reason if you met the client on Upwork. Check out this post for more tips about how to avoid questionable jobs.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Natalie L Member Since: Jun 26, 2017
30 of 100
Thank you. I feel like an absolute fool. What do I do now? If they have my details, how do I make sure they don't use them?
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS