cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a SCAM!

Kimberly C Member Since: Jun 28, 2017
41 of 100

I am only 48 hrs new to UpWork and I think I got the scam too.  I applied for a Customer Service postion helping out with warranty checks and today I was interview for a position with a totally different company, food.  I too was excited about getting an interview that I was eagar to interview for it on hang out.  I didnt realize at the time the 2 jobs didn't match.   I was giving the position and they were going to send me a check to purchase the software and equiment.  When I asked why they didnt just send me the stuff directly I got a nice explaination and it sounded legit.  When I got home to reread my proposal and the eamil, I contacted the lady back about the discrepancy she said they needed to fill this postision instead.   They told me to make sure I was on Hang Out tomorrow at 8am.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
42 of 100

@Kimberly C wrote:

When I asked why they didnt just send me the stuff directly I got a nice explaination and it sounded legit.  When I got home to reread my proposal and the eamil, I contacted the lady back about the discrepancy she said they needed to fill this postision instead.   They told me to make sure I was on Hang Out tomorrow at 8am.

Sigh....

Did you give them any personal info?

The chance of this being legit is zero and even if it was (it's obviously not) you'd be breaching Upwork terms of service.

NOBODY in the universe was ever sent a real check by a complete stranger they met on the internet to buy "stuff" with and there is no such thing as a "nice explaination" for the check nonsense and no, it did not sound legit.

Do NOT communicate with them again and I really home you didn't give them personal details.

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
43 of 100

I'm sorry that you had an unfortunate first experience on the platform, Kimberly. May I request that you please flag the job post as inappropriate so that actions can be taken against the client's account. 

Please check the freelancer resources we compiled and tips for avoiding questionable jobs, for more information about working safely through Upwork.

-Avery
Untitled
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
44 of 100

LOL.

Very entertaining thread.

I love how all the scam offers and scam companies and scam explanations of ridiculous requests always sound "legit" to the job-hungry newbie.

That greed us what scammers count on.

Wendy B Member Since: Jul 1, 2017
45 of 100

Someone just did the same thing to me today.  He told me I was hired and would have a $150 sign on bonus after purchasing all of the software and supplies.

I was so looking forward to having my first assignment!

Jacklyn W Member Since: Jun 27, 2017
46 of 100

**edited for Community Guidelines**

Ace Contributor
Selena B Member Since: Jun 2, 2017
47 of 100

It's a scam, Jacklyn

Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
48 of 100

Hi Jacklyn, 

If you haven't already, please flag the client's job post as inappropriate, or report it directly to our Customer Support team for their review. 

-Avery
Untitled
Josh M Member Since: Aug 22, 2017
49 of 100

This scam came up earlier today from *Edited for Community Guidelines*, a site I never even started an account on! I spent about an hour on Google Hangouts with an *Edited for Community Guidelines*, and it all seemed like a legit opportunity. However, she started talking about me having to buy a bunch of the software listed in this thread, so I googled "US Patents Single User Pack" and immediately found this thread. Thank you, Upwork community! You saved me some time. Smiley Happy

Natalie F Member Since: Nov 24, 2017
50 of 100

Hi. This is good to know. I have been told exactly the same thing, with one difference: I am to receive a check with which to purchase a laptop, a scanner, and the above software. I am waiting for the real check to show up, after she asked me if I would just upload a pdf copy of the check to my bank account. I called my bank, and they said they never heard of using a pdf. The company customer servie for fraudulent activity was closed so I sent them an email to verify, complete with screenshot of the hangouts conversation.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS