Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It's a SCAM!

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
51 of 100

@Natalie F wrote:

Hi. This is good to know. I have been told exactly the same thing, with one difference: I am to receive a check with which to purchase a laptop, a scanner, and the above software. I am waiting for the real check to show up, 

You would be the first in the 12 year plus history of this scam to receive a real check, the whole point is that you bank a fake one, then send real money to the scammer (posing as vendor of imaginary equipment) and a week later you lose all the money. 

It is one of the oldest, dumbest scams on the Internet.

Community Guru
Irene B Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
52 of 100

But....but....but....just perhaps...maybe...I could be...THE ONE~

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
53 of 100

Hi Natalie,

Did it happen on Upwork? I'm afraid, I can't identify the interview you are referring to.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Prima L Member Since: Jun 5, 2017
54 of 100

Hello, I am new to Upwork.

Though the start is tough (with no score and reviews), I have been keeping on sending out proposals and tried to answer all invitations.

I got this one yesterday, similar to an old post here below.

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/IS-THIS-A-SCAM-GOOGLE-HANGOUT-INTERVIEWs/td-p/178337

Information of the job also sounds legitimate, the same as the story above, I was told to be hired after the interview,  informed about benefits, pay rate and hours and duties required for the job and received a check to buy office supplies.

*Edited for Community Guidelines*

After informed that I will receive a check, I was quite certain it's a fraud job. 

Here are what I will consider hints to be cautious.1) Though a legitimate website will be forward to you, it's not guaranteed that the person who speaks with you is really working there. I could give you an example, Just saying someone claimed from Amazon contacts you, give you the legitimate website info and then ask you to send your information to  *Edited for Community Guidelines*, that's 100% not related to Amazon.

2) Never play with a check, it's dangerous. I am new residence in the U.S, but I knew that if you cash out a stolen cash, it could be a 1st-degree forgery.

So, to whom who are new as me here, be extra cautious, never sell yourself out just to get a rush job to start.

That's what I think, looking forward to your suggestion.

Prima

Community Guru
Kathy T Member Since: Jul 17, 2015
55 of 100

Prima - Although your message is informative, it's unlikely that NEW freelancers will read about it until they are scammed about it. There have been so many informative messages on here, as well as information about scams posted by Upwork and freelancers just don't take the time to learn. Even with so many avenues of information about scammers and what to look out for (and it's the same scams over and over again because they are getting responses to their scams) there are still freelancers who come on here EVERY DAY and say, I sent money, I gave out personal information, they said they will send a check ----- where's my money, how do I get paid?

So, sadly, as you do want to warn freelancers, your message will probably not reach many many freelancers BEFORE they are scammed. Only afterwards. 

Community Guru
Maria T Member Since: Nov 12, 2015
56 of 100

There are so many, so many post about scams, especially the kind of "I'll send you a check" and "send me money for work permission"

Would not there be some way to warn about these scams (or those that are fashionable at that time) to new freelancers at the time of creating the profile?
I do not know how, maybe directing them to the concrete forums.
Surely someone will have a great idea.

Every time I read that they have ripped off or tried to rip off a beginner, I have a mixture of sensations. On the one hand, sorrow, on the other desperation because it is clear that they have not been informed (or most correctly, they haven't informed themselves) of how this works.

Read all the advice, rules and other data is arduous (especially if English is not your language), I know because it happened to me, but in the end, it is beneficial.

And also, we have the forums!
And a lot of wonderful people who will be willing to advise !!

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
57 of 100

Hi Prima,

Thanks for sharing your experience and suggestions for other freelancers. We really appreciate when freelancers flag jobs they realise are fraudulent because it helps us review them and take actions as soon as possible.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Shira G Member Since: Dec 5, 2017
58 of 100
This scam is still going on today I was just contacted by someone say interview through hangout and was offered the job and told to purchase a $100 dollar itune card. You all need to remove them from your site.
Avery O Moderator Member Since: Nov 23, 2015
59 of 100

I'm sorry for the late reply, Shira. 

I checked your account but was unable to identify the client you were referring to. Do you still have the job post link? If so, please send it via a private message so that I can go ahead and check his account. Thank you!

-Avery
Untitled
Jax F Member Since: Feb 5, 2018
60 of 100

can you name the company that tried to scam you?

did they send an offer letter or other documents?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS