cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: It's been months with almost no job invitation

Highlighted
Ardit S Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
1 of 26

Well, I used to get regular job invitations 4-6 months ago, and that was working really well for me. Then the invitations stopped, and I don't know why.

I didn't receive any negative review. So, I am wondering if this has happened to others as well, and why is this happening at the first place.

Highlighted
Jasvir S Member Since: Mar 15, 2015
2 of 26

Hi ardit,

Yes it happened to me. I was used to get invitations almost 3-4 a day from July to december 2014 then it has stopped suddenely.

I had few disputes and some bad client experience.

The private feedback given by client at the end of the job is very crucial in getting your profile up or down

I hope my answer helps you.

Jass

Regards,

Jass
Highlighted
Community Guru
Vesna M Member Since: May 15, 2012
3 of 26

Yeah, I receive less invitations than previously. I don't know why. 

Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
4 of 26

Ardit, you are not alone. Many of us noticed the same problem with the invitations. Personally speaking, this issue started in the middle of 2014 when I noticed that the invitations were gradually replaced by non-fit job invitations to the point where I no longer received any invitations at all (good-fit as well as non-fit). My last invitation was in February 28, 2015, and at that point, 9 out of 10 invitations were non-fit job invitations. The last one was actually from an oDesk recruiter who contacted me on behalf of a client who specifically wrote the requirements "bilingual in Swedish and Norwegian". This was the client's requirement and it was clearly pointed out in the job description. oDesk's recruiter thought I was a good fit for the client and invited me. I am trilingual but Norwegian is not one of my languages and it is not even listed in my profile.

So after a struggle to reach out to Customer Support to ask them check why all my invitations came to an end, one of the mods was kind enough to help me out  and I was finally contacted by someone from oDesk who took the time to see if there is a technical issue involved. 

A couple of days later, they told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with my profile despite the fact I no longer received any invitations. I was told that I have a very strong profile with a very high probability of success but they couldn't see why this was happening. The only thing they noticed was that I wasn't actively applying to jobs, which is not true because I have been applying to jobs - that is to jobs that are related to my work. So they asked me to start applying to more jobs during a test period to see if this will affect the algorithm and make a positive change to the invitations, and that's where we are today.

I was told one more thing and I have heard this from two different reps now. In one of my messages, I explained about the non-fit invitations in detail and gave the the rep examples from clients' replies where he could clearly see that they had all used oDesk's recommended feature. All these clients had clicked the button that invites the "recommended freelancers". According to some of the clients' replies, they had noticed later that many of the "recommended freelancers" were not even related to the work. The rep forwarded my message to the appropriate team to investigate this while they are working on improving the algorithm and the system's accuracy and effectiveness.

So what I have been told by different reps now is that the algorithm along with some recent changes in the categories are the reasons why we have been receiving non-fit invitations and it could also be related to why we are no longer receiving any job invitations. This is no news to most of us because the algorithm has been a known issues for the longest time now. It took us some time, venting and arguing with several reps, but at least oDesk is now actively working on this and they have told me that we will see some improved changes very soon (in less than two weeks). I guess we have to wait and see.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Candi H Member Since: Jan 14, 2015
5 of 26

I wonder what this does for the client's experience? I have read that many of us, myself included, are not getting those regular invites. Who is? Are clients not getting any recommended freelancers when they check the box? They are probably frustrated as well to see the thousands of freelancers on the site, but not a single one has the job skills they are looking for.

This has to be a huge problem for oDesk and you would think a top priority.

I don't apply for jobs very often because I have plenty of regular work, but I do like to take on a new job from time to time. What if I am the perfect fit for a client but I don't get recommended because I haven't applied for a job in a few weeks? Argh! It is too much for me to digest this early.

Highlighted
Dan Marti M Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
6 of 26

Wooh! this is also my problem, not like before its like 4-6 jobs invitation I received per month in the last quarter of 2014 but now almost 0-2 from the last 2 months 'til now. I experienced also contacted by the Odesk recruiter to apply the job she recommended but after applying no more reply from the client. It seems many had changed in odesk and there are a lot affected maybe there's a point to improve but not totally I think. I also wonder why only few mark Good Fit in the job post I am interested wherein Im pretty sure I am a good fit. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Diana S Member Since: Jan 27, 2015
7 of 26

Same thing happening to me too. It's very frustrating!!!

Highlighted
Vera S Member Since: Mar 6, 2015
8 of 26

I have the same problem. I used to recieve several invitations every day. Now, for last several months I did not recieve any. I have 100% feedback score, and now I am put in the program for Top Rated freelancers, and still nothing.

Did anyone of you get some good answer from support team about this issue?

Thanks!

Vera

Highlighted
Aeron Darell B Member Since: Jun 25, 2015
9 of 26

I also have the same problem as you guys. I really don't know why the invites suddenly stopped coming. I didn't have any negative feedbacks and I also became a top rated contractor. This is really frustrating.

Adele W Member Since: Jan 13, 2015
10 of 26

I joined oDesk in early 2015 and have managed to accrue 100+ hours of work, mostly from one client, yet have received very few invitations. While this overall may be a meagre amount, I would at least expect frequency of invites to have increased at the 100-hour mark. I'm also top rated, but this doesn't seem to afford me anything much in terms of benefits, as far as I can tell. There was a time a few months ago when I all of a sudden began receiving lots of invites in a 48 hour period - it was actually so incessant that it was ridiculous! Unfortunately, most were time wasters/non-fits. Then after that, nothing but the occasional ill-fitting invitation.

This is a common complaint among freelancers, and it's very frustrating that it almost feels down to luck as to who gets the interview (and resultant job) and who doesn't. I wish oDesk would not only properly address the issue, but sort it out too! If the freelancers best suited to a project aren't being put forward, this provides a poor service to both freelancers and clients.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS