Community Leader
Octavian Valentin A Member Since: Mar 26, 2015
11 of 26

Welcome to the "club" ...

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
12 of 26

Yesterday I received an invitation from a client to apply to his job.

The job was for a website programmer.

I'm a resume writer. 

Boggles the mind how this problem has existed for so long now and no end in sight. 

I'll bet you anything that when the new fee increase is put into place there will be absolutely NO PROBLEMS with it.

Is anyone even working on solving these problems?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
13 of 26

I am just curious. Why are you so worried that you don’t receive any invites?

I personally hate invites (but that’s just me) as they usually offer ridiculous rates and yet I have to spend time on polite messages saying  that I am not interested. I like to be able to choose what I want to work on and who I want to work for.

I understand that with the connects it is better to receive an invitation, as you don’t have to spend any connects, but why wasting your time on invitations which (as most of you said) are not even related to your field of work?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
14 of 26

@Aleksandra K wrote:

I personally hate invites (but that’s just me) as they usually offer ridiculous rates and yet I have to spend time on polite messages saying  that I am not interested. I like to be able to choose what I want to work on and who I want to work for.

I understand that with the connects it is better to receive an invitation, as you don’t have to spend any connects, but why wasting your time on invitations which (as most of you said) are not even related to your field of work?

My last three invites although some time ago were all related to what I do. A lot of folks before all the changes were invited to jobs that were related to their field and it is how they found most of their work.

But the new Top Rated, connects changes etc, have all but put an end to the invites. My new stats chart shows I have been viewed  Your profile was discovered 0 times last week. (-100% from the previous week). Something has definately gone seriously wrong with things.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Faheem K Member Since: Feb 18, 2015
15 of 26

There could some issues within the Upwork . we have seen many technical issues like not getting messages , late messages , Misfit job invites . I believe this is somewhat related to change in categories. Job invites if they are as per your skills really enhance the chances of hiring . 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
16 of 26

Suzanne,

I am not quite sure how these invites used to function, as I have been here only for a few months. I have received only a few and believe it or not they were almost all in the same day. Probably something has changes since people complain about receiving fewer invitations. However, the platform is created mostly for freelancers to apply for jobs themselves, so I still think that is the best way to get a job.

Maybe your 0 views are just because there are no new clients in the area you work, so nobody needed that type of services (I am just guessing here). We are still not sure how these views are calculated, as it just might be a freelancer who is looking at your profile and not a new client.  

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
17 of 26

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Suzanne,

I am not quite sure how these invites used to function, as I have been here only for a few months. I have received only a few and believe it or not they were almost all in the same day. Probably something has changes since people complain about receiving fewer invitations. However, the platform is created mostly for freelancers to apply for jobs themselves, so I still think that is the best way to get a job.

Maybe your 0 views are just because there are no new clients in the area you work, so nobody needed that type of services (I am just guessing here). We are still not sure how these views are calculated, as it just might be a freelancer who is looking at your profile and not a new client.  

Alekandra,

Invites use to come on a regular basis, and it is fine to apply for jobs, but it was nice to have invites for jobs that were related to what I do. Whether it is fewer clients that or new or whatever, one of the perks for Top Rated was to have invites, as well as Upwork referring us for jobs, Since the Top Rated program and the issues as of lately, the invites are nill. I have a very high rating on how many times my profile has been viewed. This is the only time except when I have not been available I have ever had it at 0. So it is an issue somewhere along the line.

I guess it matters to some and not to others. I have worked very hard to have the feedback I have and even my JS. I would like to see some of the benefits that were promised showing up rather then disappearring.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Jean S Member Since: Oct 22, 2007
18 of 26

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Great for you Aleksandra, but for goodness sake, put yourself in other people's shoes please!!

I used to receive a lot of invitations to GOOD jobs with GOOD pay rates. I don't bill out at $15 an hour like you. I depended on those invitations for income as do many others on here.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
19 of 26

@ Jean

I am sure Aleksandra meant no offence in her post, and you have taken it a bit too personal. $15/hr or $55/hr does not indicate a difference in freelancers, that comment was harsh.

@ All

I had posted something similar in another thread and will still stick by it. Though the job invitations algorithm is broken - and that is a problem, it is not the monster we are making it out to be. The fact is that many of us depended on the "system" to select for, and give preference to, above other freelancers. Now if this was the main means by which a contract was secured, then that is a flawed approach - as is being evidenced by many persons complaining now.

The fact is that, with the invitations system broken, all freelancers are now "equal" at the job hunting table. What will give you the edge is that cover letter, or bid, or profile - rather than the system that was winning all the jobs for you. Maybe that needs to be looked at also.

I do not support the push towards "giving more to those who already have enough" and that has been expressed explicitly by Upwork in words and actions. "We intend to get more jobs to top rated freelancers, and the statics are showing that these freelancers now receive 2x jobs in comparison." That philosophy is not in my book.

So although I am saddened that the system is broken, I am actually happy that there is more equality now in terms of opportunities to actually bid for a job with "Equal Opportunity." I am willing to defend this argument 100% until otherwise convinced.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
20 of 26

@Setu M wrote:

The fact is that, with the invitations system broken, all freelancers are now "equal" at the job hunting table. What will give you the edge is that cover letter, or bid, or profile - rather than the system that was winning all the jobs for you. Maybe that needs to be looked at also.

But the invitation system is not broken for all freelancers.

When I apply for jobs in one of my fields where clients have sent out invitations, there is basically a group of 4-6 freelancers that get invited almost every single time. I don't know whether they are top rated etc. and I couldn't care less.

But some people are getting all the invites others are not receiving anymore. And knowing that my profile has been viewed twice a week for some time now doesn't make me sing and dance either. I do think that the broken search is the bigger problem...

Edited to add: Profile views now down to 0.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS