🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » It's been months with almost no job invitatio...
Page options
ardits

It's been months with almost no job invitation

Well, I used to get regular job invitations 4-6 months ago, and that was working really well for me. Then the invitations stopped, and I don't know why.

I didn't receive any negative review. So, I am wondering if this has happened to others as well, and why is this happening at the first place.

25 REPLIES 25
jasvirsaini

Hi ardit,

Yes it happened to me. I was used to get invitations almost 3-4 a day from July to december 2014 then it has stopped suddenely.

I had few disputes and some bad client experience.

The private feedback given by client at the end of the job is very crucial in getting your profile up or down

I hope my answer helps you.

Jass

Regards,

Jass
sivavranagaro

Yeah, I receive less invitations than previously. I don't know why. 

Ardit, you are not alone. Many of us noticed the same problem with the invitations. Personally speaking, this issue started in the middle of 2014 when I noticed that the invitations were gradually replaced by non-fit job invitations to the point where I no longer received any invitations at all (good-fit as well as non-fit). My last invitation was in February 28, 2015, and at that point, 9 out of 10 invitations were non-fit job invitations. The last one was actually from an oDesk recruiter who contacted me on behalf of a client who specifically wrote the requirements "bilingual in Swedish and Norwegian". This was the client's requirement and it was clearly pointed out in the job description. oDesk's recruiter thought I was a good fit for the client and invited me. I am trilingual but Norwegian is not one of my languages and it is not even listed in my profile.

So after a struggle to reach out to Customer Support to ask them check why all my invitations came to an end, one of the mods was kind enough to help me out  and I was finally contacted by someone from oDesk who took the time to see if there is a technical issue involved. 

A couple of days later, they told me that they couldn't find anything wrong with my profile despite the fact I no longer received any invitations. I was told that I have a very strong profile with a very high probability of success but they couldn't see why this was happening. The only thing they noticed was that I wasn't actively applying to jobs, which is not true because I have been applying to jobs - that is to jobs that are related to my work. So they asked me to start applying to more jobs during a test period to see if this will affect the algorithm and make a positive change to the invitations, and that's where we are today.

I was told one more thing and I have heard this from two different reps now. In one of my messages, I explained about the non-fit invitations in detail and gave the the rep examples from clients' replies where he could clearly see that they had all used oDesk's recommended feature. All these clients had clicked the button that invites the "recommended freelancers". According to some of the clients' replies, they had noticed later that many of the "recommended freelancers" were not even related to the work. The rep forwarded my message to the appropriate team to investigate this while they are working on improving the algorithm and the system's accuracy and effectiveness.

So what I have been told by different reps now is that the algorithm along with some recent changes in the categories are the reasons why we have been receiving non-fit invitations and it could also be related to why we are no longer receiving any job invitations. This is no news to most of us because the algorithm has been a known issues for the longest time now. It took us some time, venting and arguing with several reps, but at least oDesk is now actively working on this and they have told me that we will see some improved changes very soon (in less than two weeks). I guess we have to wait and see.

I wonder what this does for the client's experience? I have read that many of us, myself included, are not getting those regular invites. Who is? Are clients not getting any recommended freelancers when they check the box? They are probably frustrated as well to see the thousands of freelancers on the site, but not a single one has the job skills they are looking for.

This has to be a huge problem for oDesk and you would think a top priority.

I don't apply for jobs very often because I have plenty of regular work, but I do like to take on a new job from time to time. What if I am the perfect fit for a client but I don't get recommended because I haven't applied for a job in a few weeks? Argh! It is too much for me to digest this early.

dmagsino

Wooh! this is also my problem, not like before its like 4-6 jobs invitation I received per month in the last quarter of 2014 but now almost 0-2 from the last 2 months 'til now. I experienced also contacted by the Odesk recruiter to apply the job she recommended but after applying no more reply from the client. It seems many had changed in odesk and there are a lot affected maybe there's a point to improve but not totally I think. I also wonder why only few mark Good Fit in the job post I am interested wherein Im pretty sure I am a good fit. 

dgsunder

Same thing happening to me too. It's very frustrating!!!

I have the same problem. I used to recieve several invitations every day. Now, for last several months I did not recieve any. I have 100% feedback score, and now I am put in the program for Top Rated freelancers, and still nothing.

Did anyone of you get some good answer from support team about this issue?

Thanks!

Vera

adbacos

I also have the same problem as you guys. I really don't know why the invites suddenly stopped coming. I didn't have any negative feedbacks and I also became a top rated contractor. This is really frustrating.

I joined oDesk in early 2015 and have managed to accrue 100+ hours of work, mostly from one client, yet have received very few invitations. While this overall may be a meagre amount, I would at least expect frequency of invites to have increased at the 100-hour mark. I'm also top rated, but this doesn't seem to afford me anything much in terms of benefits, as far as I can tell. There was a time a few months ago when I all of a sudden began receiving lots of invites in a 48 hour period - it was actually so incessant that it was ridiculous! Unfortunately, most were time wasters/non-fits. Then after that, nothing but the occasional ill-fitting invitation.

This is a common complaint among freelancers, and it's very frustrating that it almost feels down to luck as to who gets the interview (and resultant job) and who doesn't. I wish oDesk would not only properly address the issue, but sort it out too! If the freelancers best suited to a project aren't being put forward, this provides a poor service to both freelancers and clients.

oambrosa

Welcome to the "club" ...

Yesterday I received an invitation from a client to apply to his job.

The job was for a website programmer.

I'm a resume writer. 

Boggles the mind how this problem has existed for so long now and no end in sight. 

I'll bet you anything that when the new fee increase is put into place there will be absolutely NO PROBLEMS with it.

Is anyone even working on solving these problems?

a_kazleva

I am just curious. Why are you so worried that you don’t receive any invites?

I personally hate invites (but that’s just me) as they usually offer ridiculous rates and yet I have to spend time on polite messages saying  that I am not interested. I like to be able to choose what I want to work on and who I want to work for.

I understand that with the connects it is better to receive an invitation, as you don’t have to spend any connects, but why wasting your time on invitations which (as most of you said) are not even related to your field of work?

@Aleksandra K wrote:

I personally hate invites (but that’s just me) as they usually offer ridiculous rates and yet I have to spend time on polite messages saying  that I am not interested. I like to be able to choose what I want to work on and who I want to work for.

I understand that with the connects it is better to receive an invitation, as you don’t have to spend any connects, but why wasting your time on invitations which (as most of you said) are not even related to your field of work?

My last three invites although some time ago were all related to what I do. A lot of folks before all the changes were invited to jobs that were related to their field and it is how they found most of their work.

But the new Top Rated, connects changes etc, have all but put an end to the invites. My new stats chart shows I have been viewed  Your profile was discovered 0 times last week. (-100% from the previous week). Something has definately gone seriously wrong with things.

There could some issues within the Upwork . we have seen many technical issues like not getting messages , late messages , Misfit job invites . I believe this is somewhat related to change in categories. Job invites if they are as per your skills really enhance the chances of hiring . 

Suzanne,

I am not quite sure how these invites used to function, as I have been here only for a few months. I have received only a few and believe it or not they were almost all in the same day. Probably something has changes since people complain about receiving fewer invitations. However, the platform is created mostly for freelancers to apply for jobs themselves, so I still think that is the best way to get a job.

Maybe your 0 views are just because there are no new clients in the area you work, so nobody needed that type of services (I am just guessing here). We are still not sure how these views are calculated, as it just might be a freelancer who is looking at your profile and not a new client.  

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Suzanne,

I am not quite sure how these invites used to function, as I have been here only for a few months. I have received only a few and believe it or not they were almost all in the same day. Probably something has changes since people complain about receiving fewer invitations. However, the platform is created mostly for freelancers to apply for jobs themselves, so I still think that is the best way to get a job.

Maybe your 0 views are just because there are no new clients in the area you work, so nobody needed that type of services (I am just guessing here). We are still not sure how these views are calculated, as it just might be a freelancer who is looking at your profile and not a new client.  

Alekandra,

Invites use to come on a regular basis, and it is fine to apply for jobs, but it was nice to have invites for jobs that were related to what I do. Whether it is fewer clients that or new or whatever, one of the perks for Top Rated was to have invites, as well as Upwork referring us for jobs, Since the Top Rated program and the issues as of lately, the invites are nill. I have a very high rating on how many times my profile has been viewed. This is the only time except when I have not been available I have ever had it at 0. So it is an issue somewhere along the line.

I guess it matters to some and not to others. I have worked very hard to have the feedback I have and even my JS. I would like to see some of the benefits that were promised showing up rather then disappearring.

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Great for you Aleksandra, but for goodness sake, put yourself in other people's shoes please!!

I used to receive a lot of invitations to GOOD jobs with GOOD pay rates. I don't bill out at $15 an hour like you. I depended on those invitations for income as do many others on here.

@ Jean

I am sure Aleksandra meant no offence in her post, and you have taken it a bit too personal. $15/hr or $55/hr does not indicate a difference in freelancers, that comment was harsh.

@ All

I had posted something similar in another thread and will still stick by it. Though the job invitations algorithm is broken - and that is a problem, it is not the monster we are making it out to be. The fact is that many of us depended on the "system" to select for, and give preference to, above other freelancers. Now if this was the main means by which a contract was secured, then that is a flawed approach - as is being evidenced by many persons complaining now.

The fact is that, with the invitations system broken, all freelancers are now "equal" at the job hunting table. What will give you the edge is that cover letter, or bid, or profile - rather than the system that was winning all the jobs for you. Maybe that needs to be looked at also.

I do not support the push towards "giving more to those who already have enough" and that has been expressed explicitly by Upwork in words and actions. "We intend to get more jobs to top rated freelancers, and the statics are showing that these freelancers now receive 2x jobs in comparison." That philosophy is not in my book.

So although I am saddened that the system is broken, I am actually happy that there is more equality now in terms of opportunities to actually bid for a job with "Equal Opportunity." I am willing to defend this argument 100% until otherwise convinced.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

@Setu M wrote:

The fact is that, with the invitations system broken, all freelancers are now "equal" at the job hunting table. What will give you the edge is that cover letter, or bid, or profile - rather than the system that was winning all the jobs for you. Maybe that needs to be looked at also.

But the invitation system is not broken for all freelancers.

When I apply for jobs in one of my fields where clients have sent out invitations, there is basically a group of 4-6 freelancers that get invited almost every single time. I don't know whether they are top rated etc. and I couldn't care less.

But some people are getting all the invites others are not receiving anymore. And knowing that my profile has been viewed twice a week for some time now doesn't make me sing and dance either. I do think that the broken search is the bigger problem...

Edited to add: Profile views now down to 0.

Ela K wrote: 

But the invitation system is not broken for all freelancers.

When I apply for jobs in one of my fields where clients have sent out invitations, there is basically a group of 4-6 freelancers that get invited almost every single time. I don't know whether they are top rated etc. and I couldn't care less.

This is the very point. It is just that the system is now selecting for those 4-6 freelancers that it deems more desirable. Perhaps they are a few of the ones that qualify to receive disproportionately more jobs. This system of invitations is inherently biased, as well as broken. Therefore it would be unwise to bet on it. Furthermore in your example, even though the system invites these 4-6 freelancers consistently, you are able to apply - and compete.

@Setu M wrote:

This is the very point. It is just that the system is now selecting for those 4-6 freelancers that it deems more desirable. 

When I want to hire a designer I really DO NOT want to be shown those 4-6 data entry clerks who are not qualified and that is exactly what happened to me.

@Setu

How about thinking about this from the clients point of view. I wantd to hire somone awile ago for a job. I was shown inappropriate people for the job. On top of that I got flooded with over 60 applications, 40 of them in the first 1/2 hour. 

It used to be different when I went to hire someone. I could make a job private and go with the suggested freelancers and within an hour I would have hired someone. Now it's a nightmare and I ended up going somewhere else. 

How fair do you think that is? Clients pay your wages and if we start leaving this platform for better pastures you most certainly will not have to worry about fairness for freelancers.

As for Alexsandra...I merely asked her to think of someone other than herself. Myoptic views like that are not helpful.

I'd like to see client stay on Upwork...not start to go somewhere else for freelancers.

Jean, I have no issues with your reply. Everyone here has accepted that search is broken, that has now trickled down to invitations. Only that majority of clients do not ask the system to select clients, and even less actually search manually in its truest form. So while I accept your response, it is limited to a small portion of the client base.

The system was already designed to hide some profiles, suggest others, rearrange the list in the order it deems best based on whatever criteria etc.

I would much rather a well redesigned system which enables a fair chance to all qualified, search is only one component of that. Invitations and algorithms which decide who is more relevant (based on earnings, top rated or other skewed metric) is undesirable.

***Edited to add***

When the connects system was introduced, most of the regulars here saw an improved system in the job application process. The system experienced a significant decrease in unqualified applicants, easier hiring, and more confidence in bidding. When I lost a bid for a job, I could actually nod my head to the other applicants and say yes, some are more deserving of the job. That is the area where focus should have been placed. Not in algorithms, and preferences, and top rated perks, which broke the system. There was a better way, in which fairness could also have been maintained.

Jean (edited to add who I am replying to)

My comments are from my point of view, whether you agree or disagree with me is up to you.

My posts are never personal so I would appreciate a different tone in future, or none to my comments.

Thank you.

@Aleksandra K wrote:

Jean (edited to add who I am replying to)

My comments are from my point of view, whether you agree or disagree with me is up to you.

My posts are never personal so I would appreciate a different tone in future, or none to my comments.

Thank you.

I understand Aleksandra but please don't make light of what in the past has been an important feature  (invitations) to many of us here. A large number of us really liked getting invitations and they were very important to us. You seemed to make it sound as if it's not big deal.

I understand it's not a big deal to you but it is a big deal to many of us who bill at high rates.