🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » It would be nice if we could submit an hourly...
Page options
kenstone
Community Member

It would be nice if we could submit an hourly proposal to fixed price job listings.

Just as many job posters have no clue what dollar amount they should put for the price they also have no clue that they are missing out on many freelancers that only work hourly.

Thoughts?

10 REPLIES 10
petra_r
Community Member

Ken S wrote:

Just as many job posters have no clue what dollar amount they should put for the price they also have no clue that they are missing out on many freelancers that only work hourly.

Just mention it while applying.

Why *only* hourly?

martina_plaschka
Community Member

Ken S wrote:

Thoughts?

How do you figure that? I don't think there is a functionality that selects fixed price or hourly?

browersr
Community Member

You can but the cost of doing that will be higher now that you pay for connects. While I have never applied to a fixed bid job with an hourly rate, I HAVE replied to fixed bid offers with an hourly rate. I explain fully why I don't do fixed bid and why I find it - in my area - to be highly problematic for both freelancer and client. I then tell them how to control costs using things like max weekly hours, etc. Sometimes clients really want fixed but other times it's because they are scared that hourly means massive uncontrolled cost. 

Having said the above, and if the job is posted and you are applying, as Petra has stated, you can apply and then extol the virtues of an hourly. Unless everything about the job, sans the contract type, is a perfect match, I do feel like that is a waste of time and now of paid for connects. The client has stated their preference, but if they invite me, then it's just my time in providing a compelling reason why hourly is actually better. 

re: "It would be nice if we could submit an hourly proposal to fixed price job listings."

I do that all the time.

This is not a big deal.

Many of my finished hourly contracts were originally posted as fixed-price.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

It works both ways, Scott. I do exactly what you do, but on fixed rate. So many jobs, so little time. Ha.
feed_my_eyes
Community Member

Ken S wrote:

Thoughts?

I'm exactly the opposite - I hate using the time tracker so I frequently apply to hourly jobs and offer to work for a fixed price instead. If clients want to work with me, they don't seem to have a problem with it. But I imagine that if a client chooses to work on a fixed price basis, they're going to want you to give an estimate of your time and not go over that, so there won't be much of a difference for you. 

re: "I hate using the time tracker so I frequently apply to hourly jobs and offer to work for a fixed price instead"

There are different types of work that are more or less appropriate for fixed-price contracts.

And different types of clients.

In my line of work there ARE tasks that can definitely be done using fixed-price contracts, and that works out well for both client and freelancer.

But sometimes one encounters a CLIENT who doesn't respect the fixed-price contract model, and takes up way too much time with communications, requests for changes, etc. That's when an hourly contract is the better option.

Preston H wrote:

re: "I hate using the time tracker so I frequently apply to hourly jobs and offer to work for a fixed price instead"

There are different types of work that are more or less appropriate for fixed-price contracts.

And different types of clients.

In my line of work there ARE tasks that can definitely be done using fixed-price contracts, and that works out well for both client and freelancer.

But sometimes one encounters a CLIENT who doesn't respect the fixed-price contract model, and takes up way too much time with communications, requests for changes, etc. That's when an hourly contract is the better option.

I never argued otherwise, Preston; I just mentioned that I personally don't like using it, while explaining how the OP can state a preference within his proposals.

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

I do only fixed rate and a lot of my clients are from hourly posts.

It comes down to how well you search through the job posts, writing good proposals and the art of negotiation.

re: "The client has stated their preference..."

There are clients who absolutely know what they are doing when they choose a fixed-price or hourly contract. They mean what they say.

And there are clients who are flexible, who just want to get some type of project done for them. And they don't really care about the contract model.

Most of the time, I don't think there is any way to know for certain.

Obviously if you are flexible as a freelancer, there is less risk in applying to a job that doesn't fit your preference. But yeah, if you're really only interested in one contract model, you risk losing connects for no reason if you apply to the other type of job.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths