🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » Re: Its an offer on the chat valid during an ...
Page options
c3a077dd
Community Member

Its an offer on the chat valid during an open contract?

Hi! 
I have an open contract with a client, I reached the first milestone and got paid, now the client made me an offer to continue the relationship and pay a bonus for a new task on the same contract. 
Is this valid? as is only writen on the chat I want to make sure I will have support. 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Camilla.

If a job you worked on included expenses related to the task, the client can pay for them as a bonus after the work is completed or factor into the cost of a milestone/project.

Personally, I'd want to know all costs up-front and cover them with the milestone/project cost.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
g_vasilevski
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Hi Camila,

Please keep in mind that our fixed price protection does not cover promised funds or unfunded milestones. To learn more about how you're protected, check out this Help Article.
You can also communicate with your client directly to set up a second milestone under the same contract. Thank you.

~ Goran
Upwork
ashrafkhan81
Community Member

It is not valid and in most cases clients do not pay.

Client already has payment method on file, it hardly takes a minute to create a new milestone.
darrenwall74
Community Member

Hi Camilla.

All is good if the client releases the funds (which has happened) on the existing milestone and then funds another.

A single contract can have one active but multiple milestones in succession. Once you have completed a new milestone and the funds are released, the client can pay a bonus.

I hope that helps.

So if the clients offer to cover expenses beside the price on the contract is not valid? 

petra_r
Community Member

Camila B wrote:

So if the clients offer to cover expenses beside the price on the contract is not valid? 

What kind of "expenses"? "Expenses" for what?

There have been some very nasty scams recently which involved "paying" a bonus for sending money or crypto or gift cards and then the  bonus was reversed....

c3a077dd
Community Member

Phone Bills related to a SIM card. 

tta192
Community Member

If you don't trust them enough yet, just ask for the estimated costs to be paid upfront. Once you develop a longer history with the client you can allow for more flexibility. Paying as a bonus is really convenient and it's not automatically a red flag - but make sure it's small amounts and paid often.

You can also set a limit for the pending bonus as a percentage of what you already received on the contract, so you don't take a hit if they decide not to pay.

Camila B wrote:

Upwork does not have an expense processing system. If you incur any, you will still pay the fee on your earnings.

But if you are buying crypto for the client and he promises to pay by bonus, giving you a huge commission, no, that's a fraud. 

Hi Camilla.

If a job you worked on included expenses related to the task, the client can pay for them as a bonus after the work is completed or factor into the cost of a milestone/project.

Personally, I'd want to know all costs up-front and cover them with the milestone/project cost.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members