cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JOB FRAUD!!! My first job at UpWork

Highlighted
Sherrina R Member Since: Jun 23, 2016
1 of 4

So I receive a job offer from a lady claiming to be Head of Operations for **Edited for Community Guidelines**. I was so excited especially since I have been out of work for months. At the time I didn't know this organization was based in India as I have never heard of it.  The job post is : 

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

The next day they will send you a message asking you to contact them outside Upwork via Google Hangouts. Don't even bother. This is the message:

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

This seriously upsetting. I'm just trying to do honest work here, not have my time wasted by scammers.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Craig A Member Since: Jan 18, 2016
2 of 4

Unfortunately, scammers are everywhere, not just on Upwork.

They target new freelancers. After a while you will recognise them immediately, and won't waste any time with them.

Before long, you won't even receive the invites.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Preston H Member Since: Nov 24, 2014
3 of 4

Sherrina:

Let me save you some time.

You are new on Upwork. You are offering to do entry-level work as a transcriptionist.

NONE OF THE OFFERS YOU WILL RECEIVE right now are legitimate.

Just ignore all invitations and unsolicited job offers. None of them are worth your time. They are all scammers or time-wasters. Don't be curious about them. Don't google them. Don't read them. Decline them politely and immediately.

AFTER you have some experience, you may begin to receive legitimate offers. You will not receive any until then.

You need to focus on applying to jobs that are a good fit for your skills.

Highlighted
Vladimir G Moderator Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
4 of 4

Hi Sherrina,

I'm sorry about the invite you received, my compliments on taking the right approach and not proceeding with the client's instructions. Please take screenshots of your conversation and report the client directly to Support so we can address the job post and client's account. Make sure not to start working unless you have an active contract on Upwork, use Upwork Protection Programs and only accept to get paid through the platform. 

To help you work safely on Upwork, please have a look at tips and warning signs shared in this thread and our Trust & Safety FAQ.

You can find valuable information in the Getting Started as a Freelancer section of the Help Center and in our Freelancer Guide. I also suggest watching our educational videos and reading the best practice advice shared by other users:

Freelancer Tutorial Videos

Want to get that first job? Then check this out...

Proposal Workshop Video

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS