Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JS Score - More (and more) Questions than answers

gguarino
Ace Contributor
Gwen E Member Since: Apr 24, 2015
11 of 61

Angela,

I will take your comments in to consideration. While I'm doing that, Please allow me to respond to your very rude response:

It's extremely rude to completely ignore the post, in a reponse to a post for the purpose of 'show-boating,' or being a general know-it-all kind of blabbering nothingness. 

If you would kindly direct yourself to my original post...I asked for a response to my issues. If there are folks who take time to read my post and have no response to the post, which I asked for, then it's very rude to completely ignore the post, and make a condescending response, anyway. I made it perfectly clear that i would like to find community response to my issues. If 'the community' has nothing to say, due to these issues being beaten to death on these boards, then beating me with your beatings is offensive, rude and I don't much appreciate the tone. 

But again, I very much appreciate your attempt at trying to devalue my lengthy thoughts on these subjetcs.

You have a nice day!

P.S. I have read many, many posts and responses to similar posts related to these issues. I'm a concerned member who wants to keep these issues at the forefront and choose not to sweep them away with bogus and canned responses from UpWork. I would like some REAL answers to these issues. 

If you can direct me to these answers, I'm all ears.

Politely Yours,

Gwen

lanwanman
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
12 of 61

@Jean S wrote:
...and for goodness sake, get rid of that overview where you're criticizing everything about Upwork.

Sorry Gwen, but Jean is right about changing the overview. It sure is good for a laugh...not at you Gwen...but at Upwork....

All kidding aside, I would change that overview as soon as possible.

Ron aka LanWanMan
yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
13 of 61

Ronald T wrote:

All kidding aside, I would change that overview as soon as possible.

On the ohter hand, it makes a reasonable editorial.

Gwen E Member Since: Apr 24, 2015
14 of 61

Jean,

I'll address your comment urging me to delete my JS score commentary on my profile, directly related to these issues.

I'm not criticizing UpWork, I'm stating my position on the criteria buyers may or may not use for making choices about a potential providers skills and abilities to do a job.

I attempted to be fair and impartial until I learn more details that can shed more light on this. I think it's fair to allow potential buyers of what's going on, if for no other reason than to give folks a choice to investigate further. As I mentioned...I'm a provider AND a buyer here at UpWprk and I see the issues. I would like some answers. If UpWork is not willing to provide clear, concise, detailed information and transparency on this, I will use the only voice I have...my profile.

I do hope this is now more acceptable to you. I'm not bashing anyone, I just want more clarity and transparency...which if I'm not mistaken, is what many, many, many others are asking for.

Again, I mean no offense to anyone and if I get banned or deleted or banished from this place, I'll know the reason. And, that's good enough for me. I've already warned my clients.

Thank you for your concern!

Gwen

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
BEST ANSWER
15 of 61

Gwen, you may want to go easy on the people you are asking for clarity.

1. Closing the contract does not affect your JS score. Lack of feedback does. Since the client has to leave a feedback when he/she closes the contract, it is advised to let it happen that way to ensure feedback.
  2. Lack of long term contracts is not a negative, but count as a positive when you have them. So in the formula it gives a +1 literally, no long term = + 0. Furthermore many freelancers have 5% or less long term contracts and 100% JS score so it does not matter.
  3. Contracts without activity would be > 3 months more than likely based on other metric. Remember what is important is the reasons a client states when closing a contract. Everything else is worth next to nothing in the calculations. These would fall under no feedback.
  4. The most you can do to penalize a client is to also give a low public and private feedback. Upwork mostly does not penalize the client. You can contact CS if you think you need some form of arbitration re a bad client. There is at least one case I know that a feedback was prevented due to poor client relations.
  5. No man made system can account for all variables or all bad clients. If there is an algorithm that removes bad client ratings from your profile, it would only occur after the client is deemed "bad," not before or in retrospect.
  6. Privacy reasons will not allow for you to see your own JS score lines/calculations (Upwork regulations). Seeing these scores would only let you know who graded you badly but really wouldn't help to improve since most likely the client was just disgruntled or ignorant to the system. A lawyer cant help since you signed that agreement with Upwork.
  7. Market effectiveness does not count to your JS score.
  8. Search has been broken for months, but yes, a lower JS score will affect where and how you are found by a client searching for your product. And there is no other was to get referenced apart from improving said score.
  9. The 12 month star rating is only for your eyes on your page. The client sees the lifetime ratings on the profile page.
  10. Once again you are not penalized for no feedback easily. I am certain of this. I have seen many profiles with 100% JS and half near half their completed jobs have no feedback.
  11. A JS score is only calculated after 4 completed jobs, or some derivative of this. Not hours logged.
  12. Experience level is not calculated by the system or done by $$, it is chosen by you. Go to your settings and you will find how to change it there.
  13. Once again, you are excluded from the top XXX search pages because your JS score is low. Also the search will show differently based on who searches at times, but the low JS score is the culprit.

If I missed anything let me know.

Now, to conclude, though the JS score implementation and its calculation is poor, it was designed for a reason. Most freelancers are focused in the wrong area in respect to what is weighted heavily. Focus on two things. Did the client select "project completed successfully" and that score of "1-10."

Since I have answered you so diligently, I get to berate you on behalf of all the members you decided to be so rude to. All I have stated has been discussed thoroughly before, and no one here has to respond in a manner you would like. Be respectful here, and everyone will be more than willing to assist.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----

View solution in original post

mlceron
Ace Contributor
Maria C Member Since: Feb 3, 2015
16 of 61

Setu, you have the patience of a saint, really.

iaabraham
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
17 of 61
A thousand kudos Setu!
iftikhar-ishaq
Community Guru
Iftikhar I Member Since: Mar 10, 2015
18 of 61

I Knew that only Setu has the stamina to to answer these questions.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
19 of 61
When Preston says a post is too long, everyone has to agree that it must be true 🙂
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
amlord
Community Guru
Angela L Member Since: Oct 20, 2009
20 of 61

@Setu M wrote:
When Preston says a post is too long, everyone has to agree that it must be true 🙂

Haha, now that's funny right there!

I bet even Preston would get a chuckle from that statement. 😄

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS