21 of 61
Angela: I did, and he's right.
natram
Community Guru
Natasa R Member Since: Feb 2, 2012
22 of 61

Setu wrote:

"If I missed anything let me know."

Man, you make the rest of us look bad. Smiley Very Happy 1000''s kudos to you for your patience. 

droleary
Community Guru
Darrin O Member Since: Jan 20, 2015
23 of 61

@Setu M wrote:

All I have stated has been discussed thoroughly before

While true, it should not be left as a burden for every Upwork freelancer to go through the entire history of all discussions to find answers to what should be simple questions regarding site "features".  Infighting here in the process of answering these questions over and over is counterproductive.  Lay blame on Upwork, not Gwen, not any other newbie freelancer or Elance convert, for not making these things clear.

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
24 of 61

@Darrin O wrote:

Lay blame on Upwork, not Gwen, not any other newbie freelancer or Elance convert, for not making these things clear.

Darrin, I think it was more a case of:
It's not what you say, but how you say it.

droleary
Community Guru
25 of 61

@Ela K wrote:
Darrin, I think it was more a case of:
It's not what you say, but how you say it.

Normally, I'd agree.  But Upwork has had many, many chances to address their problems when raised by pleasant "how you say it" people.   I'm hardly going to fault Gwen, or anyone else, for getting frustrated or angry to the point of not mincing words.

Im-as-mad-as-Hell.jpg

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
26 of 61

Except that it's counterproductive not mincing words with the very people who might be able to help you.

droleary
Community Guru
27 of 61

Stephen and Michael,

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you in any way, just making the point that the picture is larger than you're allowing for, and appreciating the full scope of the matter will give you a different perspective on the whole situation.  Someone who is drowning will struggle against the lifeguard who is trying to save them.  It's not their fault, and it would be wrong for you to reach the conclusion that they don't want or deserve to be saved.

So if you really want to help Gwen, and yourself and other freelancers, stop the infighting and redirect your words of criticism back towards Upwork where they belong.  Demand transparency for the issues that were raised rather than taking issue about how they were raised or how often they've been raised in the past.  It should come as no surprise to anyone that things will keep getting worse and worse so long as Upwork fails to listen to the people who have already asked nicely.

suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
28 of 61

@Darrin O wrote:

Stephen and Michael,

Again, I'm not disagreeing with you in any way, just making the point that the picture is larger than you're allowing for, and appreciating the full scope of the matter will give you a different perspective on the whole situation.  Someone who is drowning will struggle against the lifeguard who is trying to save them.  It's not their fault, and it would be wrong for you to reach the conclusion that they don't want or deserve to be saved.

So if you really want to help Gwen, and yourself and other freelancers, stop the infighting and redirect your words of criticism back towards Upwork where they belong.  Demand transparency for the issues that were raised rather than taking issue about how they were raised or how often they've been raised in the past.  It should come as no surprise to anyone that things will keep getting worse and worse so long as Upwork fails to listen to the people who have already asked nicely.

Darrin,

The tension I am sure is due to the fact that Upwork is not being very transparent about all the changes. I was for the JS score and like(d) much of what they were trying to achieve with it, but the way it is is being weighed I have issues with it.

I have issues with nothing is being fixed and we are basically told the same thing over and over and over again when we ask questions. They give us a little bit of info and then close the door on us again using it is private so we can't share...

It is causing a lot of tension with everyone. I am sure everyone is feeling like a broken record repeating the same questions over and over and over again and nothing is answered or resolved.

Some in the forum have their own way of posting as well and I am not saying it is right or wrong but some come across a bit more abrupt, some more helpful some sarcastic, etc.

A forum is kind of like a neighborhood. You are going to find a wide variety of neighbors and some you like some you don't, but you all have to figure out how to live in the same neighborhood. 

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
29 of 61

There is never an excuse for bad behaviour - more than an apology.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
30 of 61

Darrin,

There's nothing wrong with asking one's colleagues (and competitors) for help. When one begins to specify the kind of help that will be accepted and the manner in which it must be expressed, one has crossed over from respectfully addressing colleagues and competitors to issuing orders to staff.

Best,

Michael

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS