Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JS Score - More (and more) Questions than answers

gguarino
Ace Contributor
Gwen E Member Since: Apr 24, 2015
31 of 61

FYI Jean, I updated my profile overview. I wasn't critisizing everything about UpWork, but I edited it to be more PC based on your urging. Thanks so much for the advice!

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
32 of 61

I'm personally awaiting my 5% JS score when I import my Elance profile and the tons of no feedback projects from repeat customers get calculated. Oy vey.

colettelewis
Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
33 of 61

"I'm personally awaiting my 5% JS score when I import my Elance profile and the tons of no feedback projects from repeat customers get calculated. Oy vey."

Well, that really should NOT happen as you have a golden rep. on Elance!

christian1220
Community Leader
Cristian F Member Since: Jun 21, 2015
34 of 61

"The Upwork system takes frequent snapshots of your 6, 12 and 24-month history in the marketplace and calculates a score. We choose the best score out of these rolling windows."

This paragraph is from the Upwork blog - https://www.upwork.com/blog/2015/06/job-success-score-upwork/

So, my question is:

Let's say my 6 months JS score is 90, 12 months JS score is 84 and 24 months JS score is 78. These are dummy numbers, of course. In this hypothetical situation my best score is 90. This means that on my public profile the JS score would be displayed as 90 or 78 ?

Thank you

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
35 of 61

Contracts without activity can lower your score

Sometimes contracts start, but due to the client or freelancer, no activity takes place. After a reasonable period of time, these contracts impact your score. Ending these contracts quickly or requesting the client close the contract as soon as possible can prevent this situation.

This is also a quote from the aforementioned original blog article by Jeff Chen.

He is actively advising freelancers to end inactive contracts quickly. Because they can (vague), after a reasonable period of time (even more vague), harm their JS score. 

Well, most of us more experienced Upworkers know by now what happens when a freelancer 'fires' a client. Even if the contract never got off the ground.

I wish this article was up a few months ago, as it would have given me something to blame for my massive JSS drop other than my inexperience.

Contrary to what the blog post says, moderators, quite rightly, always stress the fact that providers should refrain from ending a contract themselves.

A lot of new people are joining the platform from Elance, not accustomed to the strange and mysterious ways of the Dark Score - and this is the kind of advice Upwork is giving them?

If nothing happens - just go ahead and close the contract?

So, possibly (read: very likely) receiving bad private feedback (contract not completed successfully & because why would that client recommend you?) is better than having an inactive contract just sitting there?

I don't think so.

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
36 of 61

@Ela K wrote:

Contracts without activity can lower your score

Sometimes contracts start, but due to the client or freelancer, no activity takes place. After a reasonable period of time, these contracts impact your score. Ending these contracts quickly or requesting the client close the contract as soon as possible can prevent this situation.

This is also a quote from the original blog article by Jeff Chen.

He is actively advising freelancers to end inactive contracts quickly. Because they can (vague), after a reasonable period of time (even more vague), harm their JS score. 

Contrary to what the blog post says, moderators, quite rightly, always stress the fact that providers should refrain from ending a contract themselves.

A lot of new people are joining the platform from Elance, not accustomed to the strange and mysterious ways of the Dark Score - and this is the kind of advice Upwork is giving them?

If nothing happens - just go ahead and close the contract?

@Ela - Thanks!

@Lena,

I would think the necessary resolution to this contradictory advice needs to be given not just here but in corrected descriptions in the announcements and in Mr. Chen's blog post. The sooner, more publicly, more prominently and more definitively the corporate advice is reconciled, the fewer days, weeks, and months you and your colleagues will spend addressing the contradictions, and the more accurate the Job Success score will be.

Thanks and best,

Michael

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
37 of 61

Hi Ela,

Let me clarify that we always recommend asking the client to end the contract first. The reason is that in such case you are sure that there is no more work left on the contract and that there will be feedback left by the client. If the client is unresponsive, it's okay for the freelancer to end the contract, and the Job Success score will not be affected unless the client still leaves negative feedback or there is a pattern of contracts ended by the freelancer without feedback from the client.

~ Valeria
Upwork
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
38 of 61

@Valeria K wrote:

Hi Ela,

Let me clarify that we always recommend asking the client to end the contract first. The reason is that in such case you are sure that there is no more work left on the contract and that there will be feedback left by the client. If the client is unresponsive, it's okay for the freelancer to end the contract, and the Job Success score will not be affected unless the client still leaves negative feedback or there is a pattern of contracts ended by the freelancer without feedback from the client.

That's crystal clear, Valeria.

Now, is anyone going to follow up and correct Mr. Chen's incorrect statement that client and provider closure are equivalent, and check all other documentation and messaging to see that the mistake is not replicated elsewhere?

Thanks,

Michael 

elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
39 of 61

Valeria K wrote:

Hi Ela,

Let me clarify that we always recommend asking the client to end the contract first.

If the client is unresponsive, it's okay for the freelancer to end the contract, and the Job Success score will not be affected unless the client still leaves negative feedback or there is a pattern of contracts ended by the freelancer without feedback from the client.

Valeria,

Thanks for your reply. I know that this is how it works. Because I experienced it first hand. And Upworkers who stay on top of the many threads posted here regarding this topic know it as well.

But people who are new to this platform are not aware of this; or the workings of the JS score, for that matter.

The blog post paints a different and simplified picture of the issue at hand.

In my opinion, it is misleading.

Ela

garnorm
Community Guru
Garnor M Member Since: Oct 29, 2014
40 of 61

Hi folks,

Valeria's responses and the detail we've given in our blog post, Help articles and replies here is consistent. You can find the best summary of the guidance for managing your Job Success score in this Help Article here.

To specifically address some of the confusion in this thread, I'll point you to this section below from our Help Article:

But the calculation is more complex than that simple formula.

• For example, long-term relationships are considered a plus and can help boost your score, but not having them won’t count against you because other factors are taken into account.
  • Missing feedback is only flagged when it represents a significant portion of your contracts.
  • We also try to account for instances when negative outcomes are due to factors outside of your control. Therefore, contracts without activity due to a poor client interaction are not counted against your score. A client that repeatedly receives poor feedback from freelancers will be flagged, and their inputs omitted from your score.
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS