Did you mean: 

JS Score - More (and more) Questions than answers

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
41 of 61

@Garnor M wrote:

Hi folks,

Valeria's responses and the detail we've given in our blog post, Help articles and replies here is consistent. You can find the best summary of the guidance for managing your Job Success score in this Help Article here.

To specifically address some of the confusion in this thread, I'll point you to this section below from our Help Article:

But the calculation is more complex than that simple formula.

• For example, long-term relationships are considered a plus and can help boost your score, but not having them won’t count against you because other factors are taken into account.
  • Missing feedback is only flagged when it represents a significant portion of your contracts.
  • We also try to account for instances when negative outcomes are due to factors outside of your control. Therefore, contracts without activity due to a poor client interaction are not counted against your score. A client that repeatedly receives poor feedback from freelancers will be flagged, and their inputs omitted from your score.

I understand where you're coming from with "significant contracts with no feedback," but I think it's a huge oversight from your engineers when you don't account for repeat customers. I'm obviously not the only one who has the same customer who just keeps creating new contracts. It's kinda unreasonable for me to go back and say "hey guy, I know you run a business, but can you rate me on the last 15 projects you paid for so I don't get kicked off the platform?"

If the same guy is hiring the same contractor over and over again, it makes sense that he's happy with the work. It doesn't make sense to devalue a provider because their customers keep coming back and just don't rate anymore for whatever their reasons. With the one guy I'm referring to, he rated me several times back in December and just stopped presumably because he felt like he'd rated me several times already and figured he'd done his part. Since he's still with me 7 months later, it kinda makes sense that the job was a success. If he suddenly becomes unhappy, he has every opportunity to rate me poorly. 

I don't mean to beat up on you. I know you didn't create the algorithms, and I generally just try to work the system and ignore the hate. But, I think this is a pretty bad oversight on the algorithm engineering side.

anima9
Community Guru
Robert James R Member Since: Apr 17, 2015
42 of 61

Jennifer M, you are my favorite Elancer here so you better not leave us! I like the way you reason out and unlike most of us, you can actually compare platforms. 

I really hope attracting another mod's attention would make the higher ups notice us more.

kbadeau
Community Guru
Kelly B Member Since: Jan 1, 2016
43 of 61

In addition to Jennifer's situation, there are folks like me who have clients who DON'T start a new contract each time; they just keep adding on milestones so they don't have to spend time creating new contracts for every small thing I do for them. I had the client close out one contract and start another one just so I could get some (positive) feedback from him, but that's been six months now, and I can't ask him to do that again. So I have a long-running satisfied client who will not have a positive effect on my jss and I still have to try to squeeze in bite-sized easy jobs to try to make up for the errors I made with inactive contracts when I didn't know better during my initial time on Upwork.

The JSS remains a murky mystery which baffles me. The easier you make it for good freelancers to connect with good clients, the more money Upwork will make.

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
44 of 61

@Kelly B wrote:

The JSS remains a murky mystery which baffles me. The easier you make it for good freelancers to connect with good clients, the more money Upwork will make.

It need not baffle you. When you break it down it really is very simple.

1.  Contracts with money (ever) paid, even if idle, don't hurt your JSS unless you have a very high percentage of them
  2. Contracts which close without feedback, but with money (ever) paid don't hurt your JSS unless you have a very high percentage of them
  3. Contracts where no money was EVER paid will hurt once they've been idle for 2-3 months.
  4. Contracts  which closed without any money EVER paid will hurt your JSS if closed without (private) feedback
  5. Contracts with poor public and / or private feedback will hurt your JSS
  6. Long term active client relationships, over one or several contracts, boost your JSS a bit

That's it, really. The only other factor to remember is that there are 3 calculation windows and those are rolling, so things can change as contracts fall out of the window your JSS is calculated on - for better or for worse.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
45 of 61

"Missing feedback is only flagged when it represents a significant portion of your contracts."

I have 71 jobs without feedback, from a lifetime total of 241. Most of those 71 are from repeat clients. That's 29% of my total jobs. Does that count as significant?

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
46 of 61

@fergus M wrote:

"Missing feedback is only flagged when it represents a significant portion of your contracts."

I have 71 jobs without feedback, from a lifetime total of 241. Most of those 71 are from repeat clients. That's 29% of my total jobs. Does that count as significant?

Since this thread, unfortunately, is no longer about a top Upwork employee doling out dangerous advice, I may as well tell you that 29% may very well constitute that much dreaded 'no-feedback-pattern' that may harm your JS score. Who knows. It may or may not be detrimental to your score. You will never know until you let it happen.

fergusm1970
Community Guru
Fergus M Member Since: May 23, 2015
47 of 61

That's what I suspected. The friend I mentioned earlier had 28% of jobs without feedback - because almost all her work was for two clients - and she got absolutely hammered by the JS Robot Of Doom.

If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.― George Orwell
researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
48 of 61

Hello? Hello? Anybody home?

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
49 of 61

@ Cristian,

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
elastella
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
50 of 61

Bumping this thread as I would really like to get an official answer re Jeff Chen's blog post.

Thanks.

Ela

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS