Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JS score + merged/paused/dead contracts

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
1 of 32

Here's my situation: (sorry it's a long and perhaps confusing!)

- I started an hourly contract with a client at a lower rate. It went on for several months. 

- Then he had less and less work that needed to be done, so eventually the contract got paused. 

- Then in the beginning of this year, I asked him if he didn't need any further work, to close the contract & leave feedback. I also asked him - if he did want to keep me on - if he could increase the rate on our contract.

- He chose the latter option, so I asked him to leave feedback on the previous (lower rate) contract. He's not great with communication (he's always busy/forgets things), so he never left feedback on the previous contract.

- But I wasn't too bothered because some time ago, there was a thread where the mods confirmed that contracts get merged if the client increases the rate on an existing contract (instead of ending and then starting a new one).

- However, on this updated contract with the higher rate, the client never sent me any work, so no money was charged and it also got paused for several months. 

- Yesterday I asked him to close the contract and leave me feedback (I assumed feedback would apply because the contract would be merged with the previous one).

- He apologized for the delay and did end it, but now I see that there's no option for feedback, as this contract was treated as a new contract - not merged with the previous one. Since no money was exchanged, it will probably be treated as a abandoned contract and my JS will take a hit.

So I guess I'm asking the mods (or anyone who can clarify):

1. Why have the rules changed again? Why weren't these contracts merged but my previous ones were?
  2. How badly will my JS be affected because of this contract where money was never charged? (And please don't tell me that a couple of contracts won't affect my JS, because they will!)
  3. I noticed that even though the feedback period had ended for the previous contract (the one on the lower rate),I was able to send an "enable client to change feedback" request. So now will he be able to leave feedback even though he hadn't before?
Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
2 of 32

Isabelle sorry to interfere but I can give you two answers out of three Smiley Very Happy

1. I also worked for a client who decided to increase the rate and it was considered as two separate contracts. They were never merged and we were both able to leave feedback, as if the contract was finished.
  2. Nothing for this, sorry
  3. You can enable him to add feedback BUT he must do that in a very short period of time. He no longer has 14 days, as with regular feedback.

I hope this was helpful. I am sorry about the JS Smiley Sad

Highlighted
Community Guru
3 of 32

Thanks Aleksandra - very helpful! It's strange that yours didn't merge though - here are the threads where the mods spoke about merged contracts:

Garnor wrote: 

"On long-term contracts where the rate is increased, this prompts both parties to leave Feedback which shows temporarily on your profile. It's possible you've received multiple rate increases and have multiple Feedback ratings as a result of work on these long term jobs. When the contract is completed, only the final Feedback rating will show on your profile. We have not changed this process."

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Announcements/My-Stats-for-Freelancers-A-focus-on-Job-Success/m-p/69...

And another post that mentions this:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Feedback-disappeared-Really-upset/td-p/69389/highlight/t...

Garnor wrote: "I can confirm we haven't made a change to this process and the functionality for replacing the multiple Feedback ratings with the final Feedback rating has been in place for a while."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
4 of 32

Hm…maybe they will merge when my second contract ends.  

Thank you for the information. Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
5 of 32

Isabelle,

1. I have no answer for this.
  2. The "no feedback" will not affect your score badly, only slightly - I guarantee. However you remember that there was a question "why the contract was closed" That question will affect your score badly if the client chose somethig unfavourable like "not completed succesfully".
  3. As Aleksandra said, "enable client to change feedback" will allow him to leave one, but it must be done quickly, cannot be undone, and cannot be done twice.

Once feedback revision is enabled, you will receive a notification to let you know you can go in and make the change. You will have 14 days to make the change. Changes can only be enabled on a contract once, so be sure to act promptly.

https://support.upwork.com/entries/23124021-Can-my-freelancer-or-I-change-the-feedback-we-left-

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
6 of 32
Thanks Setu for the clarification.

Regarding number 2 - I'm not so worried about the (2nd) contract having no feedback, as much as I'm worried about the fact that I never logged time on that contract - money was never charged. I'd like to know from mods how much weight a "dead" contract like that has on JS?
Highlighted
Community Guru
7 of 32

No money being passed is not an issue or factor to the JS score, its the "no feedback" that is a part of the calculations. Based on what has been said and what I have seen in terms of results, it does not account for much.

The most important factors that will affect your JS score, is whatever will determine if the contract was "successful" or "not successful."

With that being said, yes it would be good for a Mod to weigh in, but they will never give the weighting of the different components. Only general answers.

****Edited to add***

I get your question about no money, and if that affects the score. I have been having good sessions with CS recently (believe it or not) in getting infor about JS score, so I will try my luck again and report back.

Highlighted
Community Guru
8 of 32

So CS was not as incredible today Smiley Happy, my lucky streak has ended. "CS can only speak on what is in the official article." Not useful to me. But she did say the whole purpose of getting a contract is to earn money, so why wouldn't $0 affect your score. Not sure what to make of that though.

I can say this though, I was guaranteed (not by CS) that JS score is NOT $ weighted (only public feedback - star ratings is). So I would suspect that the actual $0 does not affect the score, but everything else that comes with it (no feedback etc).

Highlighted
Community Guru
David G Member Since: Oct 6, 2011
9 of 32

I think I remember reading that contracts which never get off the ground do affect your JS score. It was one of the things in the list the mods posted about what goes into calculating your score.

How big of an effect will it have? I have no idea.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ronald T Member Since: Sep 14, 2009
10 of 32

"Why have the rules changed again?" Because it's Upwork, and perhaps to some extent those advocating rule changes that require system changes is what keeps them in work (aka "busy work" in the "corporate world"). Of course, if that's the case, it's a small part of the overall problem.

Off topic...not entirely on point....

After joining oDesk (now Upwork) in late-2009, beginning around 2013, I have spent more time and effort keeping up with rule changes than actually working via Upwork (aka oDesk). Now, again we have new programs for both clients and freelancers e.g., Upwork Enterprise "Talent Cloud Solutions" for clients and new groups by invitation only for freelancers. Are these new programs worth spending the time and effort needed to find out whether they are of any value to clients and freelancers?

With regard to freealncers' jobs in progress, I had often wondered why so many of my freelance competitors here on Upwork had so many 'jobs in progress'; as many as a dozen or more. I am learning that a lot of those seemingly open contracts have been completed; however, for various reasons they have been kept open or open and 'paused by Upwork' due to inactivity.

As Upwork continues to prune its membership, suspending and closing both client and freelancer accounts, methods need to be devised to assist surviving freelancers that would like to have those older, no longer viable contracts closed. Maybe an option to have Upwork close the contract for "administrative reasons" instead of the client or freelancer ending the contract.

At present, there is no mutually beneficial, client-freelancer option that I know of that does not harm those involved in some way e.g., refunds, etc. Hence, freelancers just leave those contracts idle; that is, open or open and 'paused by Upwork' due to inactivity.

Ron aka LanWanMan
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS