Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JS score + merged/paused/dead contracts

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
11 of 32

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback; I wish one of the moderators would weigh in here Smiley Sad I really want to know what the official policy is for merged contracts. If I had known that my 2 contracts WOULDN'T be merged, I would have asked my client to give me a short job so that at least a small amount of money could been charged on the (2nd) contract. Those 2 contracts even fall under the same job posting that the client put up 11 months ago, so this constantly changing system is really frustrating.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
12 of 32

Isabelle,

I know this is not answering it, but since one of those links was the merging of my feedback I thought I might chime in here. I had 3 contracts with the same client. Previous to this the first two were treated for some weird reason as separate contracts and were not merged. It was when the third contract was started that the previous two were merged and my feedback disappeared. It still is not in the help files or terms although they stated this was a practice they have done for some time. 

So, I guess what I am saying is that they seemed to have merged the previous two contracts after a third was opened but not before.

You should not take too hard a hit unless the client leaves negative feedback on the one that just ended. But a mod maybe can clarify this better for you.

Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
13 of 32

Hi Isabelle,

Sorry about the confusion. We are looking into this further. However, for now could you please ask your client to navigate to the earlier contract he had with you (before the raise). He can do it by going to Jobs > Contracts and searching by your name. When he clicks on the contract that was ended in February, he will see the option to leave feedback. That feedback should show as final.

Thank you for your patience.

~ Valeria
Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
14 of 32

Hi Valeria,

Thanks so much for the response. The feedback period window for the Feb contract has long ended; but I used the "enable client to change feedback" option, and asked him to leave feedback.

However, he has always been difficult to reach (not that it's an excuse, but he's running a center + other projects and sometimes misses/forgets messages). Is there any way for Upwork to prompt him to leave feedback?

I guess, though, I'm not too bothered about a few more contracts without feedback. What I am bothered by is that the 2nd contract (updated contract with higher rate) is going to be registered as a "no money exchanged" contract, which will affect my JS more than a simple "no feedback" contract. When in fact, it should have been merged with the previous one.

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
15 of 32

HI Isabelle,

I will do my best to answer your questions. However, since some of them are case specific, if you require more details or explanation I would advise you to contact CS.

•Why have the rules changed again? Why weren't these contracts merged but my previous ones were?

The rules have not changed, only the final feedback will be diplayed for longterm repeat jobs. When completing long-term jobs with the same client and of the same scope, those jobs will each be prompted for public and private feedback. When the final job is completed only the final public feedback will be displayed.

•How badly will my JS be affected because of this contract where money was never charged? (And please don't tell me that a couple of contracts won't affect my JS, because they will!)

In most cases if a job is closed with out activity and no feedback is left, yes it will count negatively. However, if your client closed the contract giving a valid and positive reason and left you positive private feedback, you will have nothing to worry about.

•I noticed that even though the feedback period had ended for the previous contract (the one on the lower rate),I was able to send an "enable client to change feedback" request. So now will he be able to leave feedback even though he hadn't before?

Yes, encourage your client to leave feedback on the previous job. Having your client leave feedback will not hurt your JS unless its negative feedback, so I definitely encourage you to try and track him down.

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
16 of 32

@Lena E wrote:

•How badly will my JS be affected because of this contract where money was never charged? (And please don't tell me that a couple of contracts won't affect my JS, because they will!)

In most cases if a job is closed with out activity and no feedback is left, yes it will count negatively. However, if your client closed the contract giving a valid and positive reason and left you positive private feedback, you will have nothing to worry about.

-Lena

Lena,

What is considered a valid and positive reason? Out of the few options a client can choose from? Other than "work is not needed anymore" or something along those lines? On top of choosing a "10" (would you recommend this freelancer...)?

Many thanks,

Ela

Highlighted
Community Manager
Lena E Community Manager Member Since: Apr 7, 2015
17 of 32

Hi Ela,

A client could mark the job as completed successfully which would be a positive reason, as opposed to marking the job as completed unsucessfully, there are several other responses as well.  

-Lena

Untitled
Highlighted
Community Guru
18 of 32
Hi Lena, thanks for your reply. A couple of points:

- The client wouldn't have been able to mark the job as sucessfully completed because no money was paid. So it can only be negative. This is where my problem lies - you say the rules have not changed, then why were my 2 contracts treated as separate when they should have been merged?

- I would love nothing more than to contact CS, but after 3+ terrible experiences in a row, I know that they won't be able to help. 8 times out of 10 they do not even understand the issue and reply with something completely off-topic. That is why I come here - I have found that the mods' responses are faster, more accurate and considerate.

I'm just hoping that Valeria continues with her follow-up.
Highlighted
Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
BEST ANSWER
19 of 32

Hi Isabella,

After we have researched your situation a bit further, I would like to share a few points with you.

- Each time a long-term contract with some money paid on it is updated with a new rate there is an option to leave public and private feedback. However, only final public feedback left in the end of the contract will be displayed on freelancer's profile. However, in your case nothing was paid on the contract after the update, therefore there was no option to leave final public feedback.

- Private feedback can be left each time the contract is updated and when it is closed regardless of whether any money was paid or not. All ratings along the way can contribute towards a freelancer's Job Success score.

- Even if no money was paid on the contract after the update, the client still has an option to mark the contract as successfully completed.

I hope this information helps.

~ Valeria
Untitled

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
20 of 32

@Valeria K wrote:

- Even if no money was paid on the contract after the update, the client still has an option to mark the contract as successfully completed.

I hope this information helps.

But isn't that counterintuitive? 

I surely wouldn't rate such a contract as completed successfully. Because it never started.

And if a contract was never executed, why would I leave really positive private feedback for a freelancer I possibly never worked with? I am not referring to Isabelle's case as there are several other scenarios that could result in a contract never getting off the ground. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS