Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JS score + merged/paused/dead contracts

Highlighted
Community Guru
Isabelle Anne A Member Since: May 19, 2014
21 of 32
I've just seen your 2nd response now Valeria - thanks so much for looking into it & coming back to me with the clarification!
Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
22 of 32

@Lena E wrote:

Hi Ela,

A client could mark the job as completed successfully which would be a positive reason, as opposed to marking the job as completed unsucessfully, there are several other responses as well.  

-Lena

Hi Lena,

It is rather unlikely that Isabelle's client marked the job as "completed successfully" - as it was never started. So that is not really an option. Out of the other options - which is also considered a positive reason?

I am asking because I have been there. And my JS took a big hit.

I just would like to know if there are in fact several positive reasons to choose from - I tend to think there is only one (=successful completion). And all the other options have a more or less negative impact on the freelancer JS.

Though "work is no longer needed" or similar has to be neutral??

I would like to be wrong.

Thanks,

Ela

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
23 of 32
Ela,

There really is no "neutral" option. since anything other than "job completed successfully" will result in your JS score getting lower. You are taking a hit, its just how much.
This is the reason why I have been pressing for the final calculation to be mad public, so freelancers can know what to expect.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
24 of 32

There is one thing I don’t understand. If the contract started but then the client decided he no longer needs this particular project and decided to close it, how can you blame the freelancer? What do you expect us to do? To beg the client to give us some work just for the sake of feedback or JS?

The client shouldn’t be even allowed to leave feedback, because if he didn’t assign any work to the freelancer then in no way should the freelancer suffer for it. Upwork needs to implement a new feature that will allow clients to close such contracts without hurting the freelancer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
25 of 32
Exactly, and I really have no way of knowing what kind of feedback he left on the 2nd contract.

I have badgered him enough for feedback on the 1st (which he didn't give). At this point I don't even care about feedback - I just don't want the 2nd contract to be counted as a dud in my JS - it should be merged with the first.
Highlighted
Community Guru
Aleksandra K Member Since: Mar 31, 2015
26 of 32

I truly hope that CS can help. Ask them to merge the contracts! They can do it if they want to!

We are all aware how efficient they are, however, I must admit that the last three times I had to contact CS they replied within 24 hours and they were really helpful.  I’ve noticed that once a certain problem is addressed here things start moving.

Good luck!  Smiley Happy

Highlighted
Community Guru
27 of 32

Thanks for the support Smiley Happy

I guess I do eventually have to go to CS, although that's a last resort. I've found that the mods are usually 100% more efficient than CS. The last 2/3 CS representatives didn't even read the message I sent and replied with links to help pages that had nothing to do with my problem. Very disappointing.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
28 of 32

Isabelle,

You do realize that merging the contracts changes nothing about how it affects your JS score. Based on Valeria's response

"- Private feedback can be left each time the contract is updated and when it is closed regardless of whether any money was paid or not. All ratings along the way can contribute towards a freelancer's Job Success score."

each contract (or part/upgrade of the same contract) is treated like an individual contract - since the client gets to leave a different feedback each time, which is then calculated towards the JS score. So even if this one was merged with the previous one, they would still require individual feedback. 

You said that no feedback was left on the previous one - that is set in stone already. If you got this one merged it would and will still require a separate feedback that will also count towards the JS score. So merger or not, the contract will still require 2 separate feedback. Since the client closed this "second" contract that means it got a feedback. The point I am making is that even if the contracts are merged, it will not affect the feedback, since both feedback are independent and count towards the JS score. So merging cannot solve your problem. Getting the client to mark this second half as "completed successfully" is the problem.

The $0 itself also plays no role in the JS score based on all reports and indications from the mods so far. Only the review and the option chosen as to why the contract was closed. I hope you get my point.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
Highlighted
Community Guru
29 of 32

"Getting the client to mark this second half as "completed successfully" is the problem."

Exactly - he wouldn't been able to do that because the 2nd contract wouldn't show him that option (because there was no money on that one). BUT, if the 2nd one had been treated as part of the 1st one (which was supposed to happen), then he would have be able to mark it successfully completed. So that's exactly what I'm upset about here - my client having to choose a negative reason for the contract ending because there would be not option to mark "job successfully completed".

"The $0 itself also plays no role in the JS score based on all reports and indications from the mods so far."

Not true unfortunately. I can't find the thread, but having no money charged on a contract does impact your score.

David G also remembers it - he said the following in this thread:

"I think I remember reading that contracts which never get off the ground do affect your JS score. It was one of the things in the list the mods posted about what goes into calculating your score."

Lena also said in this thread:

"In most cases if a job is closed with out activity and no feedback is left, yes it will count negatively."

Highlighted
Community Guru
Ela K Member Since: Feb 9, 2015
30 of 32

@Isabelle Anne A wrote:

"Getting the client to mark this second half as "completed successfully" is the problem."

So that's exactly what I'm upset about here - my client having to choose a negative reason for the contract ending because there would be not option to mark "job successfully completed".

And the option "successfully completed" wouldn't be available to the client - why? 

Is that something you know for sure? Because I thing you got it wrong.

This is what Lena wrote earlier in this thread:

"In most cases if a job is closed with out activity and no feedback is left, yes it will count negatively. However, if your client closed the contract giving a valid and positive reason and left you positive private feedback, you will have nothing to worry about."

I then asked her what counts as valid and positive reasons and she replied:

"A client could mark the job as completed successfully which would be a positive reason, as opposed to marking the job as completed unsuccessfully, there are several other responses as well. "

I think we have established that this is the ONLY positive reason available to clients. But it seems to available at all times, no matter whether money was exchanged or not. And yes, as I stated earlier, it is completely counter-intuitive.

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS