Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JS score update due tomorrow!

stephenbrightman
Community Guru
Stephen B Member Since: Dec 4, 2012
21 of 50

Thanks Mr M. Didn't mean to doubt you.

My score went down today 98 to 97 after they closed six jobs (but one gave feedback at the eleventh hour). OK, it's only one point, and the score's high enough. But why I'm ripping angry is that this was imposed on me by Upwork, by doing the exact thing that they've advised against for months, while I had been carefully trying to manage the situation to avoid this happening.

It also gives a bit of insight into the vague mumblings of "a significant percentage of jobs" that we keep hearing. Because even though five in a row is an ugly scar on my profile, that's less than 2% of my jobs!

Ho hum, onward and three steps forward, two steps back...

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
22 of 50

I must be missing something. My understanding of the JS update is that there is never any certainty that one's most recent activity will affect the score, because of the 3-date snapshot system. As mentioned before, much anxiety and speculation could be avoided if Upwork would show us the three snapshots when they update the score, so that we have some context for understanding any change.

Best to all,

Michael

edit: Struck assertion was based on flawed understanding, addressed below.

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
23 of 50

The score closest to 100% is almost always the shortest line.

On a different note, I am convinced of a 3 month line - but I don't want to be banned.

---- easy like Sunday morning ----
suznee
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
24 of 50

I think the JS is broken. Mine dropped the last time and this time nothing changed in my stats or the JS score. Nothing at all and a contract with a long term client changed.

Everything is exactly the same as it was when the previous client gave me a 7 on if he would recommend me, but it seems weird my long term clients did not budge considering this was a long term contract that closed and as Mr M stated I know the private feedback was good. 

nikkigaskins
Ace Contributor
Nikki G Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
25 of 50

Surprisingly, my score went up by one percentage point....from 93% to 94%.

HOWEVER, the number of clients that would recommend me apparently dropped from 95% to 91% Smiley Sad

That I don't understand...or still the whole JSS thing for that matter really.

*sigh*

Nikki

jamesseligman
Community Guru
James S Member Since: Mar 20, 2015
26 of 50

I went from 95% to 94%, not a big deal. It's not like I've gotten more invites, more interviews, more jobs because f it.

Funny thing is that I think I was getting more projects when I wasn't top rated.

heavenmade
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
27 of 50

Hi Guys

I think this is a False Flag! I don't think you will see the full effects of all the job closes until the next  Job Success update.

Why you may ask? My understanding is!

The only way this would not be the case is if the client and the freelancer  leaves feedback from that dormant job before the 14 day period is over.

Your Job Success Scores will be hit on the next update!!!

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
28 of 50

@Ian David John E wrote:

Your Job Success Scores will be hit on the next update!!!

Why?

Assume the worst: Mass auto job closure makes a big, atypical hit in one's point-in-time JS. If it's atypical enough, it will never show. It will roll off the time frame after being eclipsed by the typical better scores each and every time the JS is calculated, no?

Still puzzled,

Michael

heavenmade
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
29 of 50

Hi Michael,

Trust me I don't want to be the bringer of bad news! Who does? All I know is the effects will not show up until the next update. As the auto job closures are in a 14 day state of limbo.....

sadanmasroor
Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
30 of 50

Hi Ian,

I am not sure who gave you this information that effects do not show up until next update. Somebody I know had her JS decreased by 12% because of a bad contract that was closed just a day before the calculation. If what you are saying would have been the case than her JS would not have decreased in this update and should have taken a hit in the next update. 

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS