Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JS score update due tomorrow!

heavenmade
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
31 of 50

Hi Sadan

All i know is it would not have been caused by the auto job closures thats for sure! As i said there is a 14 day state of limbo.......

setumonroe
Community Guru
Setu M Member Since: Jan 26, 2014
32 of 50
Ian is correct.

Unless all the clients for the closed jobs mysteriously left feedback already, the effects wont show until 14 days later; which would be on the next update.

That is assuming that Upwork has not implemented something to cushion the blow this time, since they blundered.
---- easy like Sunday morning ----
heavenmade
Community Guru
Ian David John E Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
33 of 50

Hi Setu,

Thank you for confirming what I said!

Setu said: "That is assuming that Upwork has not implemented something to cushion the blow this time, since they blundered."

Setui I really hope so!!! Time will tell.....

sadanmasroor
Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
34 of 50

Ian,

My JS score increased by 10% because of a job that was closed couple of hours before the previous update and just to let you know I had not left any feedback for the client by that time. Also if you read the blog post regarding the JS it calculates all the contracts that were closed before the update. Also one or two contracts with no feedback do not affect the JS in any way. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
35 of 50

@Sadan M wrote:

Ian,

My JS score increased by 10% because of a job that was closed couple of hours before the previous update and just to let you know I had not left any feedback for the client by that time. Also if you read the blog post regarding the JS it calculates all the contracts that were closed before the update. Also one or two contracts with no feedback do not affect the JS in any way. 

You can't really go off of that though. What fell off on the other end of old projects? I haven't seen Upwork say this, but Elance weighted your score against others, so if they do the same, you don't know how others are doing. Maybe they tweaked the algo that affected you negatively.

Really can't say unless Upwork specifically tells you that they calculate all jobs even if they are recent. 

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
36 of 50

@Ian David John E wrote:

Hi Michael,

Trust me I don't want to be the bringer of bad news! Who does? All I know is the effects will not show up until the next update. As the auto job closures are in a 14 day state of limbo.....

This makes sense. Upwork really doesn't know the job success yet since the client can still leave feedback positive or negative. It would make sense that recent gigs aren't calculated yet. 

sadanmasroor
Community Leader
Sadan M Member Since: Sep 3, 2010
37 of 50

One possibility I do see is that they added the cushion to exclude the contracts closed by them because they never thought of issues this might pose on the contractors JS score.

setumonroe
Community Guru
38 of 50

It would be really good if Upwork really did make an exception. But from a stats point of view, at least we would now know what a "pattern of no feedback meant." 5? 8? 10? contracts with no feedback. 

researchediting
Community Guru
Douglas Michael M Member Since: May 22, 2015
39 of 50

Setu, Ian,

OK, I get what you're saying about the fourteen days.

And I agree, if there's a hit, Upwork should fix it.

And...

I still don't get how any atypical big hit will ever drive the published score down. Won't any atypically low score be trumped by a more representative one?

Still puzzled,

Michael.

edit: Addressed below.

setumonroe
Community Guru
40 of 50

@Douglas Michael M wrote:

I still don't get how any atypical big hit will ever drive the published score down. Won't any atypically low score be trumped by a more representative one?

Still puzzled,

Michael

You a correct that it shouldn't drive the published score down, but it will slip. The 2-year line is the truest representation of the freelancer's JSS, but also usually the lowest and the slowest to respond to changes. But for a freelancer who was doing well, even the 1-year line should not be far apart from the 6-month line.

So yes, there may no be a drastic change. Unless great strides were made in the last 6 months, like a 100% JSS.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS