🐈 Community
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS Algorithm
Page options
abbetancourt18
Community Member

JSS Algorithm

Hello everyone!

I’m desperately looking for some help here. I’m having kind of a big issue with the Job Success algorithm here in Upwork. Let me explain a bit better, a couple hours ago I was checking my profile and my score was at 100% (it has been like this for the  last 2 - 3 months). 

A couple hours later I logged in to check out my messages and stuff and I received a communication from Upwork congratulating me about reaching $500 with this one client, allegedly saying that my fees will be cut down to 10% per payment with this client exclusively. I then move on to see my profile to see if there’s any changes and I found out that my score has been lowered down to 69%.This would heavily affect my opportunities.

What’s happening? Is there any problem with the website? can anyone from the Upwork team help me/assist me? I was really looking forward to get my score back.

Abraham.

16 REPLIES 16
joanbonjoc
Community Member

Hi Abraham,

There are many factors that go into your JSS calculation including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, pattern of contracts without feedback, etc. To learn more details about your Job success score and why it has changed check out this Help Article.

~ Jo-An

Untitled

you mean the client must leave a feedback to retain my JSS to current score?

Allan Cliffton D wrote:

you mean the client must leave a feedback to retain my JSS to current score?

no

remco89
Community Member

As far as I'm aware JSS gets calculated every 2 weeks on a Sunday, so someone in the last two weeks may have given you some really bad feedback.

Even if the public feedback is positive, private feedback can still be bad and affect your JSS. 

remco89
Community Member

... to add:

I just looked at your profile and you have quite a few small jobs, but the latest big one is a $600 job. Has this contract ended? If yes, my gut feeling is that their feedback was less than positive. And because its such a huge job comparing to your others, it will have a bigger affect on your JSS.

@Remco V wrote:

... to add:

I just looked at your profile and you have quite a few small jobs, but the latest big one is a $600 job. Has this contract ended? If yes, my gut feeling is that their feedback was less than positive. And because its such a huge job comparing to your others, it will have a bigger affect on your JSS.

The job you're talking about is still open, so no feedback provided yet.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

"And because its such a huge job comparing to your others, it will have a bigger affect on your JSS..."

This is not supposed to be the case.  UpWork Help specifically told me that the price of the job is irrelevant.  Feedback for a $300 job gets counted the same as a $30 job.  I'm confused...

tlbp
Community Member

Some of your positive feedback contracts may have fallen out of your two-year window, giving the 2.5 star contract more weight. Long-term clients can boost your JSS so if that percentage went down, it will hurt. Also, clients who would recommend percentage plays a role. Closed without pay and refunded contracts will also lower your JSS. So, in the last two weeks, some bad things must have happened and (possibly) some good things were lost. 

melaniekhenson
Community Member

Hey, Abraham. I saw that you have five jobs that started more than three months ago. How long has it been since you had any activity at all on them? If it has been more than a couple months, it is possible those open jobs are bringing your JSS down.

I would contact the clients and politely ask them to close the contracts. If you don't hear from them, close one at a time, leaving a couple weeks between each. Just what I would do.

From looking at Abraham's job history, it's hard to see how his JSS could have gone down by so much so suddenly. I can only think that, as Melanie has suggested, it's mainly down to open but inactive jobs. But that would mean that there's a major sudden-death element to the inactive jobs algorithm, i.e. it has no effect at all until some threshold is reached, and then it kicks in with a vengeance. Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me if the algorithm is that bad.

Supposedly the threshold for open/inactive jobs is somewhere around the 3 month/90 day point.

noctilucentarts
Community Member

I've been dealing with a similar problem.  My score has been in freefall for 5 months now from 92% to now 80% as of yesterday.  I've been getting my detailed stats every 2 weeks to deduce it.  I had - and still have - many open contracts, some going back to the Elance-oDesk migration!  Apparently those were pulling down my JSS, as we all know. 

In fact, one of the help agents finally told me clearly rather than the usual cut & paste responses that my score is a *full 8 points* lower all because of open contracts.  So I've started closing them gradually. 

However, after closing them they are STILL negatively impacting my score.  As I said, I've been very aware of my detailed stats, and UpWork seems to have classified those now-closed contracts as "too many hours logged" - meaning they continue to negatively impact my score - and will for 2 years!  I pretty much NEVER do hourly jobs so it's literally impossible for me to log "too many hours", further as I say, I've been monitoring my stats closely and it could only be caused by closing those old jobs because my "too many hours logged" stat was at zero just 2 weeks ago, and I've done zero hourly jobs since then.  

There's also the constant cut & paste reply about outcomes with no feedback claiming it "doesn't affect your score but is an area to watch" - which seems untrue. 

I also have the bizarre stat of "outsourcing work to another freelancer without client's consent" supposed 1 time, which has NEVER happened, period!  I'm a one-man operation writing everything myself.  (at times I *wish* I did have someone for outsourcing work!).... for a client to ever claim that is absurd - I wish I could learn who it was.   

So now I'm stuck - I'm getting simultaneously penalized at every 2-week JSS calculation for the old remaining open contracts, but if I close them I STILL get penalized as "too many hours logged"....  the most frustrating thing being it's not even my fault, but just clients paying but not closing them, and having them fall between the cracks (Until recently I didn't even notice the button on the bottom of the jobs page to "see more" and was shocked to see a dozen still open contracts)....  

@Matt K wrote:

I STILL get penalized as "too many hours logged".... 

What do you mean by "too many hours logged?"

I'd be looking at private feedback for the reason. What is your "Clients who would recommend you" percentage? Around the 80% or below?

The latest drop is almost certainly due to that client who left you 4 stars, they have given perfect 5s to all but one of their previous freelancers, so 4 (from them) is low and likely came with low private feedback.

Yes that 4-star thing is bizarre too, I asked her abou it haven't heard back yet.  The doc was delivered on time, well written, they gave zero changes, and I even did it somewhat lower than my normal rate.  AND they even asked me to write 3 more - right after leaving only 4-star feedback!  

Matt K wrote:

I've been dealing with a similar problem.  My score has been in freefall for 5 months now from 92% to now 80% as of yesterday.  I've been getting my detailed stats every 2 weeks to deduce it.  I had - and still have - many open contracts, some going back to the Elance-oDesk migration!  Apparently those were pulling down my JSS, as we all know. 

In fact, one of the help agents finally told me clearly rather than the usual cut & paste responses that my score is a *full 8 points* lower all because of open contracts.  So I've started closing them gradually. 

However, after closing them they are STILL negatively impacting my score.  As I said, I've been very aware of my detailed stats, and UpWork seems to have classified those now-closed contracts as "too many hours logged" - meaning they continue to negatively impact my score - and will for 2 years!  I pretty much NEVER do hourly jobs so it's literally impossible for me to log "too many hours", further as I say, I've been monitoring my stats closely and it could only be caused by closing those old jobs because my "too many hours logged" stat was at zero just 2 weeks ago, and I've done zero hourly jobs since then.  

There's also the constant cut & paste reply about outcomes with no feedback claiming it "doesn't affect your score but is an area to watch" - which seems untrue. 

I also have the bizarre stat of "outsourcing work to another freelancer without client's consent" supposed 1 time, which has NEVER happened, period!  I'm a one-man operation writing everything myself.  (at times I *wish* I did have someone for outsourcing work!).... for a client to ever claim that is absurd - I wish I could learn who it was.   

So now I'm stuck - I'm getting simultaneously penalized at every 2-week JSS calculation for the old remaining open contracts, but if I close them I STILL get penalized as "too many hours logged"....  the most frustrating thing being it's not even my fault, but just clients paying but not closing them, and having them fall between the cracks (Until recently I didn't even notice the button on the bottom of the jobs page to "see more" and was shocked to see a dozen still open contracts)....  

I don't think there is any such thing as too many hours logged or an outsourcing penalty. If your 6-month score is the best of the three calculation windows, that is the one that will be used. So, contracts you close today (if they affect your score) will not affect it in 6 months if you are able to get several jobs (and reviews) in that period. 

126b57bf
Community Member

ok when I receive small feedback, how can I improve it?

Latest Articles
Upcoming Events
Feb 13
Feb 28
Upwork Community Virtual Hour
Community Hour English
Mar 28
Upwork Virtual Community Hour
Community Hour English
Learning Paths