Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS Algorithm

abbetancourt18
Abraham B Member Since: Sep 27, 2016
1 of 17

Hello everyone!

I’m desperately looking for some help here. I’m having kind of a big issue with the Job Success algorithm here in Upwork. Let me explain a bit better, a couple hours ago I was checking my profile and my score was at 100% (it has been like this for the  last 2 - 3 months). 

A couple hours later I logged in to check out my messages and stuff and I received a communication from Upwork congratulating me about reaching $500 with this one client, allegedly saying that my fees will be cut down to 10% per payment with this client exclusively. I then move on to see my profile to see if there’s any changes and I found out that my score has been lowered down to 69%.This would heavily affect my opportunities.

What’s happening? Is there any problem with the website? can anyone from the Upwork team help me/assist me? I was really looking forward to get my score back.

Abraham.

joanbonjoc
Community Guru
Jo-An B Member Since: Aug 2, 2016
2 of 17

Hi Abraham,

There are many factors that go into your JSS calculation including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, pattern of contracts without feedback, etc. To learn more details about your Job success score and why it has changed check out this Help Article.

~ Jo-An

Untitled
allanluke
Allan Cliffton D Member Since: Jul 6, 2016
3 of 17

you mean the client must leave a feedback to retain my JSS to current score?

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 17

Allan Cliffton D wrote:

you mean the client must leave a feedback to retain my JSS to current score?

no

remco89
Ace Contributor
Remco V Member Since: Mar 13, 2018
5 of 17

As far as I'm aware JSS gets calculated every 2 weeks on a Sunday, so someone in the last two weeks may have given you some really bad feedback.

Even if the public feedback is positive, private feedback can still be bad and affect your JSS. 

remco89
Ace Contributor
Remco V Member Since: Mar 13, 2018
6 of 17

... to add:

I just looked at your profile and you have quite a few small jobs, but the latest big one is a $600 job. Has this contract ended? If yes, my gut feeling is that their feedback was less than positive. And because its such a huge job comparing to your others, it will have a bigger affect on your JSS.

versailles
Community Guru
Rene K Member Since: Jul 10, 2014
7 of 17

@Remco V wrote:

... to add:

I just looked at your profile and you have quite a few small jobs, but the latest big one is a $600 job. Has this contract ended? If yes, my gut feeling is that their feedback was less than positive. And because its such a huge job comparing to your others, it will have a bigger affect on your JSS.

The job you're talking about is still open, so no feedback provided yet.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless
noctilucentarts
Matt K Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
8 of 17

"And because its such a huge job comparing to your others, it will have a bigger affect on your JSS..."

This is not supposed to be the case.  UpWork Help specifically told me that the price of the job is irrelevant.  Feedback for a $300 job gets counted the same as a $30 job.  I'm confused...

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 17

Some of your positive feedback contracts may have fallen out of your two-year window, giving the 2.5 star contract more weight. Long-term clients can boost your JSS so if that percentage went down, it will hurt. Also, clients who would recommend percentage plays a role. Closed without pay and refunded contracts will also lower your JSS. So, in the last two weeks, some bad things must have happened and (possibly) some good things were lost. 

melaniekhenson
Community Guru
Melanie H Member Since: Nov 2, 2017
10 of 17

Hey, Abraham. I saw that you have five jobs that started more than three months ago. How long has it been since you had any activity at all on them? If it has been more than a couple months, it is possible those open jobs are bringing your JSS down.

I would contact the clients and politely ask them to close the contracts. If you don't hear from them, close one at a time, leaving a couple weeks between each. Just what I would do.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS