Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS Algorithm

richard_wein
Community Guru
Richard W Member Since: Jun 22, 2017
11 of 17

From looking at Abraham's job history, it's hard to see how his JSS could have gone down by so much so suddenly. I can only think that, as Melanie has suggested, it's mainly down to open but inactive jobs. But that would mean that there's a major sudden-death element to the inactive jobs algorithm, i.e. it has no effect at all until some threshold is reached, and then it kicks in with a vengeance. Unfortunately, it wouldn't surprise me if the algorithm is that bad.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
12 of 17

Supposedly the threshold for open/inactive jobs is somewhere around the 3 month/90 day point.

noctilucentarts
Matt K Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
13 of 17

I've been dealing with a similar problem.  My score has been in freefall for 5 months now from 92% to now 80% as of yesterday.  I've been getting my detailed stats every 2 weeks to deduce it.  I had - and still have - many open contracts, some going back to the Elance-oDesk migration!  Apparently those were pulling down my JSS, as we all know. 

In fact, one of the help agents finally told me clearly rather than the usual cut & paste responses that my score is a *full 8 points* lower all because of open contracts.  So I've started closing them gradually. 

However, after closing them they are STILL negatively impacting my score.  As I said, I've been very aware of my detailed stats, and UpWork seems to have classified those now-closed contracts as "too many hours logged" - meaning they continue to negatively impact my score - and will for 2 years!  I pretty much NEVER do hourly jobs so it's literally impossible for me to log "too many hours", further as I say, I've been monitoring my stats closely and it could only be caused by closing those old jobs because my "too many hours logged" stat was at zero just 2 weeks ago, and I've done zero hourly jobs since then.  

There's also the constant cut & paste reply about outcomes with no feedback claiming it "doesn't affect your score but is an area to watch" - which seems untrue. 

I also have the bizarre stat of "outsourcing work to another freelancer without client's consent" supposed 1 time, which has NEVER happened, period!  I'm a one-man operation writing everything myself.  (at times I *wish* I did have someone for outsourcing work!).... for a client to ever claim that is absurd - I wish I could learn who it was.   

So now I'm stuck - I'm getting simultaneously penalized at every 2-week JSS calculation for the old remaining open contracts, but if I close them I STILL get penalized as "too many hours logged"....  the most frustrating thing being it's not even my fault, but just clients paying but not closing them, and having them fall between the cracks (Until recently I didn't even notice the button on the bottom of the jobs page to "see more" and was shocked to see a dozen still open contracts)....  

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
14 of 17

@Matt K wrote:

I STILL get penalized as "too many hours logged".... 

What do you mean by "too many hours logged?"

I'd be looking at private feedback for the reason. What is your "Clients who would recommend you" percentage? Around the 80% or below?

The latest drop is almost certainly due to that client who left you 4 stars, they have given perfect 5s to all but one of their previous freelancers, so 4 (from them) is low and likely came with low private feedback.

noctilucentarts
Matt K Member Since: Jan 11, 2016
15 of 17

Yes that 4-star thing is bizarre too, I asked her abou it haven't heard back yet.  The doc was delivered on time, well written, they gave zero changes, and I even did it somewhat lower than my normal rate.  AND they even asked me to write 3 more - right after leaving only 4-star feedback!  

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
16 of 17

Matt K wrote:

I've been dealing with a similar problem.  My score has been in freefall for 5 months now from 92% to now 80% as of yesterday.  I've been getting my detailed stats every 2 weeks to deduce it.  I had - and still have - many open contracts, some going back to the Elance-oDesk migration!  Apparently those were pulling down my JSS, as we all know. 

In fact, one of the help agents finally told me clearly rather than the usual cut & paste responses that my score is a *full 8 points* lower all because of open contracts.  So I've started closing them gradually. 

However, after closing them they are STILL negatively impacting my score.  As I said, I've been very aware of my detailed stats, and UpWork seems to have classified those now-closed contracts as "too many hours logged" - meaning they continue to negatively impact my score - and will for 2 years!  I pretty much NEVER do hourly jobs so it's literally impossible for me to log "too many hours", further as I say, I've been monitoring my stats closely and it could only be caused by closing those old jobs because my "too many hours logged" stat was at zero just 2 weeks ago, and I've done zero hourly jobs since then.  

There's also the constant cut & paste reply about outcomes with no feedback claiming it "doesn't affect your score but is an area to watch" - which seems untrue. 

I also have the bizarre stat of "outsourcing work to another freelancer without client's consent" supposed 1 time, which has NEVER happened, period!  I'm a one-man operation writing everything myself.  (at times I *wish* I did have someone for outsourcing work!).... for a client to ever claim that is absurd - I wish I could learn who it was.   

So now I'm stuck - I'm getting simultaneously penalized at every 2-week JSS calculation for the old remaining open contracts, but if I close them I STILL get penalized as "too many hours logged"....  the most frustrating thing being it's not even my fault, but just clients paying but not closing them, and having them fall between the cracks (Until recently I didn't even notice the button on the bottom of the jobs page to "see more" and was shocked to see a dozen still open contracts)....  

I don't think there is any such thing as too many hours logged or an outsourcing penalty. If your 6-month score is the best of the three calculation windows, that is the one that will be used. So, contracts you close today (if they affect your score) will not affect it in 6 months if you are able to get several jobs (and reviews) in that period. 

126b57bf
Anthony C Member Since: Jul 29, 2020
17 of 17

ok when I receive small feedback, how can I improve it?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS