Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS Discrepancy

piyushseem
Community Leader
Piush P Member Since: Apr 29, 2015
1 of 11

Respected Upwork Manager/Community Guru,

I am suffering from JSS issue since 15 days, I have opened ticket but no one can find the right thing yet. It is a long story but in brief I would like to share as per below:

I am working at UpWork since true 5+ years (you can check my first job date and I am not transferred from E-Lance) but never disappointed like today… because, 15 days ago (before JSS update cycle) my one client gave me private text message at the time of job ending that I have “missed his deadline”, while he did not mention that why it is happened… Let me explain why it is happened…there were 2 reasons:
1. The actual plan was differ and during development it overloaded to his additional works thats why he increased his budget $300 to $1500 as per. If work will increase than timeline and its cost both will increase as per.
2. In other hand during his work, suddenly I have suffered from “SWINE FLUE” and I was in ventilator as 10 days in hospital. However my wife messaged to my each ongoing client over the Skype for this emergency and said that either they can close the job to save his/her business OR can wait for me to resume the work when I will back.

Luckily each of my ongoing clients (including this client too) supported to me during this life turning moment and said that they all will wait for me and my good health… Obviously it took few weeks to recover me but when I resumed and finished the work as per my existing clients, by mistake my one client “**Edited for Community Guidelines**” forgot about my life killing illness and just left the message in his private section that I have missed his dead line, and magically my JSS dropped down as 86%.

So my question is how only one bad message can dropped my JSS from 100% to only 86%??? I have communicated with support team and open a ticket regarding this case but they always said that my JSS from past 2 years is only 82% but they gave me highest like 86%…….If it is true than why my JSS was non stop 100% since 16 weeks???? Why my each past job’s public feedback is full 5 stars out of 5 stars???? why my each past client left super feedback regarding my work and quality??? why my 91% past clients recommend me as per my JSS chart??? why I have 70% long term and repeated clients when my JSS was 100% but now it reduced as 41%….  hahahah I think suddenly they died when my JSS dropped as 86% ???

When I deeply talked with support team with “**Edited for Community Guidelines**”, he accepted that it is an error in my account regarding my JSS (Moderator please check the ticket’s initial conversation where he accepted 2 times) and it should be like 96%…. but however after few days of communications he changed his sentence like tap recorder and always repeating same sentence that my JSS was 82% since last 2 years calculation… I gave him lot of evidence but they never considered my any of thing as well as I hope they did not read my most of reply and just repeat his sentence again and again….

Finally, I have communicated with my client **Edited for Community Guidelines**, and directly asked from his thing then he realised that he did a huge mistake because he forgot at the time of ending contract that I was suffering from SWINE FLUE and left the message as MISSING DEAD LINE. **Edited for Community Guidelines** was honest person and he decided to talk with upwork support team to remove his mistake, but Upwork team did not consider his request.

Upwork is a very huge work place and during an emergency case when each of other work-place consider that type of situation, thats why upwork is not considering and deducted huge percentage of JSS???

Further… again I am suffering from another type of JSS error that I had completed 4 jobs with full 5 stars feedback + bonus from my each client in last 15 days, but sadly today they increased only 2% while they deducted 14% only by one text message??? What is the criteria of JSS???

I would request to Upwork Manager to look into my whole case else I will stop my work here, because it is not a fair thing that I have earned 100% JSS after my true 5+ years hard work and only few bad things (where I was not wrong because they were an emergency) destroyed my whole career and included me into a lower category as compare to freshers… because recently I have seen that there are lot of profiles in my same genre who had worked for very little project (literally $20-$50) with very less experience and have full 100% JSS.

SO MY QUESTION IS: ELEPHANT AND AUNT ARE SAME???? Usually for less than 50 dollars, anyone can give full marks… however more than thousand dollars work has much risk than little work (in my work history I have worked most of time over the thousands dollars).

Look forward to hear its resolution…

Ticket ID: 18379284

Thanks!!!

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
2 of 11

1) Not all your past jobs were 5 stars

2) Customer service is not going to tell you specifically what caused the drop in your JSS

3) Private feedback also affects your JSS. We don't see this and customer service won't tell you what it is and the client cannot change it.

4) Did you refund a job? Were you hired for a job and the job was canceled? If so, even though no money was exchanged) the client can still leave you private feedback which will affect your JSS.

datasciencewonk
Community Guru
Kat C Member Since: Jul 11, 2016
3 of 11

@Amy T wrote:

1) Not all your past jobs were 5 stars

2) Customer service is not going to tell you specifically what caused the drop in your JSS

3) Private feedback also affects your JSS. We don't see this and customer service won't tell you what it is and the client cannot change it.

4) Did you refund a job? Were you hired for a job and the job was canceled? If so, even though no money was exchanged) the client can still leave you private feedback which will affect your JSS.

One job below five stars isn't going to KILL someone's JSS. You have a larger collection of less than five-star feedback on your profile than he does, but your JSS is higher. 

But, as you state, if the clients are giving lower ratings in private feedback, that does have a distinct impact.

tgstudio
Community Guru
Amy T Member Since: Jan 31, 2013
4 of 11

One job below five stars isn't going to KILL someone's JSS. You have a larger collection of less than five-star feedback on your profile than he does, but your JSS is higher. 

But, as you state, if the clients are giving lower ratings in private feedback, that does have a distinct impact.

Oh I know. He was stating all his work was 5 star. One bad review "shouldn't" knock it down that much but we have no idea what kind of private feedback he is getting. And if he has done refunds, etc.

piyushseem
Community Leader
5 of 11

@Kat

Exactly what I want to say that how only one bad feedback can megically down my JSS from 100% to just 86%... in other hand I had completed 4 huge jobs within last 15 days where I am 101% onfident that they all were very happy becuase 2 clients made a huge bonus for my quality work and 1 is going to give me another his new job and last one already gave me a huge job offer today.... so if they left wrong feedback than they never make bonus and new jobs...

Finally, the strong point was in my case that at beginning a support team member also accept that there are an error in JSS particualr in my profile and they calculated and said that it should be 96% (Why upwork senior members do not check whole conversation of my ticket minutely), but I do not know after few days he came back with ticket respond and said like tap recorder each time that it was 82% since 2 years calculation but they gave me 86%. If it is true than why my JSS was 100% since 16 weeks????

piyushseem
Community Leader
6 of 11

@Amy T

1) 99% jobs has full 5 stars reiew with nice feedback, you can check my profile. In other hand what I said in my story that it was 100% non stop since 16 weeks (it is not small entity) suddenly why it reduced as 86% only from one stupid mistake by my client???

2) who's said? They targeted me that my one recent job contains has "Missing Deadline" thats why I lost my JSS suddenly, while that time I had completed 2 jobs and after discussion with my both of clients, one have accepted that they forgot about my illness and as I stated that he was very honest person so he realised his mistake and immediately contacted with support team in favour of me. We all are humans and some time we can forget about actual thing and can do as per presence of mind but it does not mean that it should not be considerable even an emergency situation....

3. Yes I accept it... but it can be negociate/considrable as per an emergency situation like my illness.

4. In last 4 years I did not make any refund becuase each job completed successfully. If it will true that means my JSS never go as 100% till 16 weeks.

katrinabeaver
Community Guru
Katrina B Member Since: Jan 9, 2011
7 of 11

Sorry for your sickness. You said your wife messaged all of your clients.  Did she do that through the platform?  

"Fairness is giving all people the treatment they earn and deserve. It doesn't mean treating everyone alike-Coach John Wooden"
piyushseem
Community Leader
8 of 11

@Katrina,

That time I was suddenly fall into life killing illness, and so I was unconscious and on ventilator till 7 days... In other hand how she can use my account becuase she do not know about my logins as well as it is against the ToS.

But she used Skype from my computer which was in auto login mode. And she informed them and provided my all medical reports as an evidence (I also submitted my medical test to upwork, but very wondered that they did not considered yet). The special thing was, my each ongoing clients accepted this situation and support us in this bad condition. However when I backed and completed all the related work than one of my client forgot about this bad thing and left the bad message like "Missing Deadline", and magically my JSS down from 100% to 86%.

bukyyy
Ace Contributor
Bukola O Member Since: Dec 23, 2016
9 of 11
Sorry about your sickness. Your job success will increase in the coming weeks don't worry yourself. Some clients don't know the impact of bad private feedback. Just work on your current projects and watch your jss increase. I had 13% some weeks back now I have 47%. I'm sure by the next update you'll have something above 90%. Keep calm and work.
P.S.: Go to all contracts and click on the contract that the client was willing to change his feedback and see if you can enable him to change his feedback.
vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 11

Hi Piush,

Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about these circumstances and appreciate you doing what you can to communicate with your clients and update them regarding your availability. Note that by design there's no option for clients to amend the private feedback they left, as our agent explained. Also, I see our agent followed up and explained the error they made with their earlier comment regarding your Job Success Score, which is calculated correctly.

Rest assured that you can improve your score by completing more contracts successfully. 

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS