Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS Drop due to Private Feedback

johelbs
Ace Contributor
Johel B Member Since: Jan 24, 2016
1 of 24

Hello everyone,

I've been working as a Top Rated freelancer for +1 year, maintaining a constant 100% JSS. Unfortunately, my JSS score has recently dropped to 90%. I did the math and realized that there's only one client I have recently closed contracts with. Ironically, the client was thrilled with my work and rehired me on 5 additional small jobs —each one of them with 5 stars and great comments on the Public Feedback.

I decided to ask my client about the Private Feedback, and she admitted that because of the language barrier (her native language is Chinese), she misunderstood the question and provided a wrong Private Feedback and she was willing to change it. I asked CS about it, and they stated there's no way to change Private Feedback, so they suggested me to use the Top Rated perk to remove one Feedback from my profile.

— I think Upwork should enable clients to change Private Feedback at least once. What if this client is affecting lots of freelancers' profiles as well as mine (?)
— Since all of my contracts came out perfectly, and the client provided a great Public Feedback, how do I know which contract should I remove? Frustrating, right? Is there any chance I can delete the contract with the worst Private Feedback? Suggestions?

Thanks a lot for reading! Smiley Very Happy

Johel

raina5
Community Leader
Kate R Member Since: Dec 5, 2016
2 of 24

I've had a similar situation recently. I thought I had it figured out, from one situation I went through where no money changed hands, and I asked to have it removed, but my JSS is still horrible, from a 100% like yours. It's very distressing.

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
3 of 24

Kate R. stated:

I've had a similar situation recently. I thought I had it figured out, from one situation I went through where no money changed hands, and I asked to have it removed, but my JSS is still horrible, from a 100% like yours. It's very distressing.

______________________________________________________________________________________________

Kate, 91% is NOT horrible.  Be happy and simply "keep on keep'en on."

johelbs
Ace Contributor
4 of 24

"KKate, 91% is NOT horrible.  Be happy and simply "keep on keep'en on."

Yes, maybe 91% is not bad at all, but I'm on Kate's team. When you work hard and all your clients are thrilled with what you've done, you expect JSS reflects that effort. Let's keep on going anyways! Smiley Very Happy

purplepony
Community Guru
Pat M Member Since: Jun 18, 2016
5 of 24

Johel stated:

Yes, maybe 91% is not bad at all, but I'm on Kate's team. When you work hard and all your clients are thrilled with what you've done, you expect JSS reflects that effort. Let's keep on going anyways!

_____________________________________________________________________________________________

I definitely understand and appreciate what you're saying.  As I'm sure you know, there are MANY factors that are utilized to determine JSS; including public and private...  Some of which we Freelancers fully know and understand, and some of which we don't.  I was Top Rated not that long ago, and my JSS is now 82%.  Basically, you're somewhat "preaching to the choir" here. 

goldenseal
Community Leader
Joshua T Member Since: Apr 18, 2016
6 of 24

A similar thing happened to me. A client was rushing through the form, didn't read the question, and gave a low score which dropped my JSS 8%. He felt terrible about it when asked and contacted CS, who of course told him it couldn't be changed.

They really, really need to reconsider that. One misunderstanding or errant click, and a great freelancer's reputation can take a huge hit. And in your case, even if you figure out which job it was, you shouldn't have to waste your Top Rated removal perk to fix it.

charles_kozierok
Community Guru
Charles K Member Since: Mar 6, 2017
7 of 24

This should be a feature in the system.

This sort of functionality is what the development team should be prioritizing, IMO.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
8 of 24

It makes a lot of sense that private feedback can't be changed, since a large part of the reason private feedback is necessary is freelancers bullying clients into changing public feedback.

That said, a single piece of bad private feedback which is inconsistent with other private feedback and with the public feedback on the job should not have this significant an impact on JSS--particularly if the client is ongoing and leaves more positive private feedback on other jobs. There are many variables that could be factored in to mitigate this impact without allowing clients to change private feedback.

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
9 of 24

I'm surprised at the number of freelancers who contact clients to ask about the feedback. No wonder clients don't want to leave any feedback. Even when it is supposed to be double-blind, they still get harassed. 

johelbs
Ace Contributor
10 of 24

I did —of course— politely contacted my client about this, even though this is the first time I ask a client concerning the feedback. As stated in the post, this particular client hired me on 5 consecutive small jobs (I actually received a sixth offer a few hours ago), and if I did nothing, then I'd be responsible for sinking my JSS down to the very bottom. She felt quite concerned because she was indeed, more than satisfied with my work.

There might be freelancers who "harass" or "bully" clients into changing Private Feedback; however, you gotta walk in some other people's shoes and understand that a robust system should also provide support for exceptions. Smiley Wink

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS