Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS Dropped from 94 to 92?

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
21 of 27

The star rating and private feedback are just a few of the factors used to calculate JSS. JSS is defined in a different manner than individual contract satisfaction. (Agree or not, it is what it is.)

Here are some numbers I've been tracking. I am able to experiment a bit b/c I've not been taking new clients. 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/IMO-JSS/td-p/266708/highlight/false

tlbp
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
22 of 27

Also see, this thread:

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/JSS-Calculations/m-p/283657#U283657

I would view this as an indication that the visible star rating has very little to do with the JSS calculation. Even though stars are a factor, I don't think they are weighed as heavily as other factors. For me personally, this meant that a client who gave me one of my lowest star ratings actually helped my JSS because she became a long-term client during that same calculation period.

Also, I think someone mentioned that three different calculation windows are used and the best is taken. So, maybe two weeks ago something was still in all of the windows and dragging me down, but fell out of one of those windows for this calculation period.  

From what I can tell there are:

1. multiple factors considered

2. not every factor is given the same weight

3. different calculation windows and items dropping out of those windows can cause unexpected fluctuations

Just my opinion, of course, others have given it more study. 

jmccpa
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
23 of 27

Tonya,

Thanks.

In my situation, I have been on Upwork just since January of this year.

As a CPA, many of my past year clients have hired me to prepare and file Federal and State tax returns.

This task is, of course, seasonal.

I am likely to be hired again this coming CPA tax season( Feb-April) and thus they will become "long term clients".

But maybe not if they see my JSS is going down each 2 weeks!

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
mwiggenhorn
Community Guru
Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
24 of 27

Joe, I don't believe that existing clients even look at your JSS.  They already know the quality of your work and will re-hire based on their experiences with you.

jmccpa
Community Guru
Joseph C Member Since: Jan 22, 2016
25 of 27

Mary,

Thank you. You are very kind.

I guess you're right, but I'm just trying to make a point.

I submit that many of us serious folk are rapidly losing confidence in the calculation of the JSS. I am.

It should not be a BIG SECRET and each of us should be able to see the exact calculation at each update.

What is Upwork afraid of?

If the elements are valid, it is not likely that the bad guys will be able to manipulate it. 

That's a lame reason.

Just my honest opinion and, as to there being a subjective element that we don't know about, I guess I just made it worse for me.  So be it.

Joseph M. C. ,P.C., CPA/ABV
petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
26 of 27

Joseph C wrote

Just my honest opinion and, as to there being a subjective element that we don't know about, I guess I just made it worse for me.  So be it.

How many more times do you need to be told that your forum posts do not have any effect on your JSS?

I guess it is more comfortable to make yourself feel a martyr and cling to the misconception that complaining miraculously lowers your JSS than to face up to the possibility that a client may not have rated you as highly in their confidential assessment of their experience with the contract as you would like.

mrgam
Ace Contributor
Vicente G Member Since: Dec 30, 2009
27 of 27

Me too.  . . .  from 100% to 92% and this was right after an Upwork maintenance of the site.

I was unable to close a job last month until just a week ago when I started to work on just one single job.  Therefore, there were no negative feedback to worry about; but, nevertheless, JSS came down.

Why implement something that just makes people feel miserable?  When I inquired, I got this simple but round-about answer:
"Unfortunately as much as I would love to we are unable to provide the exact calculation of your Job Success Score. The snapshots we take are of a rolling window, which means sometimes a contract can slip out of your best calculation, causing your score to change significantly without any recent activity. For example, a contract will no longer be counted in your 6-month window once it is 6-months and one day old."

If my score last month was 100% and it has gone down to 92%, what else, besides the Upwork maintenance work, happened in between to reduce my score? I only closed one job last month and it only happened a week ago. There was no other activity that could have changed my score.

If this cannot be answered, how on earth am I going to help myself keep a good JSS score?

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS