Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: JSS Effect of Negative Feedback from Client Upwork Knows is Unreasonable

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
1 of 34

Yesterday I left very negative feedback for a client who, not surprisingly, had left very negative feedback for me.

The client was a very young fellow with no significant business experience. We agreed I would help him write a “professional business plan” (how he described his Upwork project), so he could raise funds from investors for his new business idea in his home country in Africa. We agreed my work would be done over the course of about 24 to 30 hours of my billed time in total with me not working more than 5 hours per week. (The client apparently had a very tight budget and we agreed he should do as much of the work as he could, keeping my billings down.)

After about four weeks into the project I got a notice out of the blue from Upwork that this client was disputing the 4 hours of work I had submitted for the most recent week. Prior to filing this dispute he had said nothing to me about these hours. We were only at 14 billed hours when he filed his dispute with Upwork - not even close to the 24 to 30 hour range we originally agreed on. I told him after he filed the dispute that we were not going to exceed the originally allotted billed work hours limit and I would not agree with his request for a refund of the legitimate hours billed for work completed. He ignored my assurances and my offer to complete the project as originally agreed. At any rate, Upwork reviewed and rejected his claim that I had improperly billed hours on his project.

Now he has filed another disputed saying the “quality” of the work I did was insufficient. I don’t do poor quality work and he’s obviously just hoping he has found a way to get around Upwork’s first denial of his request for a refund.

The only problems with this project were the client’s unprofessionalism, impatience, unjustified concern that his small budget would be exceeded and complete unwillingness to simply communicate with me to address any concerns he had prior to filing his “disputes.” As of today his second claim of a dispute remains open.

I’ll be interested to see how the second dispute is treated by Upwork and how this peculiar client's feedback affects my JSS when it is re-calculated on August 6th. (I don't know when he filed his feedback. It's effect may already be reflected in my JSS calculation of last Sunday.)

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
2 of 34

Hi Will,

I'm sorry about the bad experience you had with this client. Please make sure to respond to the second dispute your client filed and our team will close it.

Untitled
wlyonsatl
Community Guru
3 of 34

Hi, Vladimir.

I haven't heard anything back from dispute resolution on this second dispute regarding my work's "quality."

petra_r
Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
4 of 34

If the client ended the contract they left the feedback while ending the contract.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
5 of 34

Good news & bad news here. Good news is, quality of work cannot be disputed on an hourly job, so the client has 0 chance of winning the dispute. The bad news is, the client feedback will stand, and since OP is not top rated, it can't be removed, so JSS will take a hit, unless OP is willing to refund all payment, in which case there's no public feedback, but private feedback would still have a negative effect.

6 of 34

Well, I guess for the powers that be at Upwork that's what passes for fair.

Since the client closed the project and left his bogus feedback for me on July 12th, long before my JSS was re-calculated on July 23, any effect of this clown's feedback - public and private - is already cooked into my current JSS?

Thanks.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
7 of 34

@Will L wrote:

Well, I guess for the powers that be at Upwork that's what passes for fair.

Since the client closed the project and left his bogus feedback for me on July 12th, long before my JSS was re-calculated on July 23, any effect of this clown's feedback - public and private - is already cooked into my current JSS?

Thanks.

Did you rate him before the update? I think from my experience that effects don't happen until both sides have rated each other. 

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
8 of 34

No, I didn't. I was waiting for Upwork to turn down his second bite at the dispute apple, but once it got to the 14 day deadline I went ahead and left feedback while I still could.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
9 of 34

John, it appears a client can dispute quality of work on an hourly job. This morning I got notice from Upwork "support" saying they had awarded this client a small refund. The "support" person's logic was as follows:

"As you admitted to not having completed the project due to client's early termination of the contract, are you willing to negotiate a refund amount with the (sic) him, in order to end this dispute?"

George Orwell would be proud of this question. The client halted the project without consulting me and now I should give him a refund because the project wasn't completed? Hmmmm.

I was not aware of the most recent communication from Upwork "support" and didn't reply to their most recent note on the Resolution Center message board, so they granted him a refund. (The refund amount will buy this young fellow a couple of lunches at McDonalds, so the amount of money "support" has told me I should refund is not important.)

But, taking a second bite at the "refund" apple after his first dispute in regards to this same project was flatly turned down by Upwork "support" has worked for this particular client. This reinforces my impression from the very few disputes I have ever had with Upwork clients that Upwork tries to throw them a bone in any dispute with a freelancer.

And Upwork "support's" latest decision really had nothing to do with the "quality" of my work.

vladag
Community Manager
Vladimir G Community Manager Member Since: Oct 31, 2014
10 of 34

Hi Will,

Please note Upwork won't make any decisions and you were able to decline the suggestion our agent shared as part of the mediation process. I'll reiterate that both parties are treated equally and our team can make suggestions based on the information shared on the dispute ticket and by both parties privately with the agent, and propose possible solutions for the misunderstanding.

Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS