Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS Effect of Negative Feedback from Client Upwork Knows is Unreasonable

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
11 of 34

Thank you for the prompt note, Vladimir.

I see no reason to reward this impatient, uncommunicative client with a refund of any kind.

If I refuse to follow this "suggestion" from dispute mediation, what next?

And why was the same dispute rejected by Upwork when first filed then accomodated, if only to a minor extent, when the same dispute was filed again?

I really don't understand how Upwork's dispute resolution and mediation "services" work any more.

kochubei_valeria
Community Manager
Valeria K Community Manager Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
12 of 34

Will,

I followed up with our Dispute team and they will reply and provide more information about your case. Please, continue to stay in touch with the team to resolve the issue.

Thanks.

~ Valeria
Upwork
wlyonsatl
Community Guru
13 of 34

Thank you, Valeria.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
14 of 34

I got confirmation from the Upwork Upwork Resolution Center that this second dispute filed by the client has been closed with no change from the original dispute resolution - the client closed the project without contacting me and can't expect a refund because I didn't complete the project.

Thank you to Valeria and Vladimir for your help on this.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
15 of 34

that sucks dude

I've found that a lot of good ratings can dilute a somewhat bad rating.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
16 of 34

It's just part of the deal as a freelancer at Upwork.

I imagine a lot of the better and busier freelancers have learned not to rely solely on Upwork to find quality clients. My own life and work, including engagements here on Upwork, won't really be affected. (Whenever a prospective client asks me why my JSS isn't even higher, I ask them if they know how the JSS is calculated. I have yet to have even one claim that they do.)

But a conscientious new freelancer who had this kind of client as an early introduction to working on Upwork would probably think twice about freelancing here over the long term. Smart ones would wonder whether the effort they'd have to make to eventually achieve the elusive 90+ JSS was worthwhile.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
17 of 34

@Will L wrote:

It's just part of the deal as a freelancer at Upwork.

It's part of the deal as a freelancer anywhere--or any other kind of business owner.  A bad client can leave negative reviews all over rating sites online, can post to rip-off report and similar sites, can give you bad word of mouth, etc. Comes with the territory.

I imagine a lot of the better and busier freelancers have learned not to rely solely on Upwork to find quality clients.

I would hope that every intelligent businessperson knows better than to rely on one source for his/her whole livelihood.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
18 of 34

I see, Tiffany.

So Upwork shouldn't worry about whether its rating systems serve both freelancers and clients with balanced and realistic ratings because there are other rating systems in the world that don't provide reliable ratings either.

OK. Then I guess we're all set. Upwork has no room for improvement in this regard.

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
19 of 34

@Will L wrote:

I see, Tiffany.

So Upwork shouldn't worry about whether its rating systems serve both freelancers and clients with balanced and realistic ratings because there are other rating systems in the world that don't provide reliable ratings either.

Upwork should not in any way attempt to determine whether ratings are "balanced" or "realistic," just as no other system should. They are CLIENT ratings, not Upwork's ratings, and the moment you try to insert a third-party assessment into the subjective rating of an experience, you render it entirely useless for everyone. 

OK. Then I guess we're all set. Upwork has no room for improvement in this regard.

With regard to allowing both clients and freelancers to decide for themselves how to rate those they work with? Agreed. That's the only system in which ratings have any meaning whatsoever and cannot be improved upon.

@Will L wrote:

I see, Tiffany.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
20 of 34

So, Tiffany, "...Upwork should not in any way attempt to determine whether ratings are "balanced" or "realistic," just as no other system should."

Try telling that to one of the most successful companies on the planet, whose primary expertise is ratings.

If Google took your attitude to heart, they wouldn't spend so much time and money constantly trying to accurately rate how well any particular Web site or page suits the needs of a person who uses their search service. (And what is Upwork if not a search service that helps reliable freelancers and clients find one another?)

If Google didn't care how well their rating system worked, they wouldn't punish Web sites that try to game their system with black hat SEO tactics or other information or activity that would make Google's rating system inaccurate.

Allowing inaccurate client ratings that Upwork knows are inaccurate to adversely affect freelancers' JSS is something Upwork could easily deal with. For example, if a client loses Upwork mediation on a particular project, that client's "feedback" should be removed from public view and play no role in calculating the freelancer's JSS.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS