Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS Effect of Negative Feedback from Client Upwork Knows is Unreasonable

tlsanders
Community Guru
Tiffany S Member Since: Jan 15, 2016
21 of 34

@Will L wrote:

So, Tiffany, "...Upwork should not in any way attempt to determine whether ratings are "balanced" or "realistic," just as no other system should."

Try telling that to one of the most successful companies on the planet, whose primary expertise is ratings.

If Google took your attitude to heart, they wouldn't spend so much time and money constantly trying to accurately rate how well any particular Web site or page suits the needs of a person who uses their search service. (And what is Upwork if not a search service that helps reliable freelancers and clients find one another?)

As I'm sure you well know, this isn't comparable at all--it's absurd. What you are suggesting for Upwork would be the equivalent of Google reviewing customer ratings of businesses on Google Maps and changing the ones they didn't agree with.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
22 of 34

You missed my point completely, Tiffany, so I won't even try explaining it to you.

yitwail
Community Guru
John K Member Since: Feb 17, 2015
23 of 34

I should have qualified my assertion that JSS would take a hit -- it will eventually take a hit, but since the displayed JSS is the maximum of the 6, 12, and 24 month average JSS, the intial effect may not be as pronounced as one might fear.

Mary W Member Since: Nov 10, 2014
24 of 34

I suspect that the way to repair JSS after a hit is to take several very small jobs that you can easily do perfectly.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
25 of 34

That might work for freelancers who do certain types of work, Mary, but not for me.

For me, the smaller the job the more likely the client is young and inexperienced with a very limited budget. All of my (blessedly few) most difficult clients have come from this group and I try to avoid them. 

reichstephen
Community Guru
Stephen R Member Since: Jun 19, 2015
26 of 34

So to hear this Will.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Stephen

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
27 of 34

@Stephen R wrote:

So to hear this Will.

**Edited for Community Guidelines**

Stephen

The client is lying about his location too and says he's in the US. Would have avoided this one too cuz he's lying about his location for a reason and it's likely to trick people in the US to give him the time of day. He has no money an that's why he's giving this guy a hard time. 

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
28 of 34

No, Jennifer, the client did not lie to me about his physical location.

He lives in Los Angeles but is from Tanzania, which is where he wanted to build his new business.

lysis10
Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
29 of 34

@Will L wrote:

No, Jennifer, the client did not lie to me about his physical location.

He lives in Los Angeles but is from Tanzania, which is where he wanted to build his new business.

lol I dunno about that but ok.

wlyonsatl
Community Guru
30 of 34

Hi, Stephen.

I only remember being ripped off by three Upwork clients, 2 from Israel and 1 from California.

I just completed a project for a great client from Somalia, of all places, so you really never know where good projects and clients will come from.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS