🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS Extremely Low Despite Overall Positive Cl...
Page options
jacob-lopez
Community Member

JSS Extremely Low Despite Overall Positive Client Experience

I used Upwork fairly consistently in 2019 and 2020. I had good experiences with my clients and they left me decent ratings, both private and public. My last job on Upwork was near the beginning of this year (2021) which went well, too. 

Any idea why my JSS is 68%? As per my stats, my "Long-term clients" reads "100%" and "Clients who would recommend you" reads "82%".

Any ideas? Much appreciated 🙂

12 REPLIES 12
roberty1y
Community Member

Jacob L wrote:

I used Upwork fairly consistently in 2019 and 2020. I had good experiences with my clients and they left me decent ratings, both private and public. My last job on Upwork was near the beginning of this year (2021) which went well, too. 

Any idea why my JSS is 68%? As per my stats, my "Long-term clients" reads "100%" and "Clients who would recommend you" reads "82%".

Any ideas? Much appreciated 🙂

I'm not sure if any Upwork user knows entirely how JSS is calculated, but private feedback from clients plays a large part.

Thanks for responding Robert. Do you know how to check private feedback? I've been looking all over for it!

Jacob L wrote:

Thanks for responding Robert. Do you know how to check private feedback? I've been looking all over for it!

There's no way to see private feedback, but often you can figure out which of your clients must have left it. That's why I believe it's best to close a contract yourself when you're sure the client isn't satisfied with your work. That way the client doesn't have to leave any feedback, and quite often they don't bother.

Ah, got it. Good advice. So far, I've never had "a feeling" that a client was unsatisfied with my work. Things have always gone smoothly so far (or so it seemed). So it's tough. 

Jacob L wrote:

Ah, got it. Good advice. So far, I've never had "a feeling" that a client was unsatisfied with my work. Things have always gone smoothly so far (or so it seemed). So it's tough. 

When clients drop stars for quality (as several of yours have done), things didn't go as smoothly as you may have thought.

Jacob L wrote:

Do you know how to check private feedback? I've been looking all over for it!

You can't, that's why it's called "private" - but a low JSS is always and only the result of poor private feedback.

Public feedback and stars are pretty much meaningless. Most clients leave 5 stars unless they really hated the work, and often even when they did, which is why the average feedback left by clients for freelancers is 4.9... 

That's why we have a JSS and private feedback in the first place...

That's helpful. Cheers!

Jacob L wrote:

The clients that would recommend you percentage is your lifetime aggregated private feedback. It is usually somewhat aligned with the JSS percentage. 82% definitely leaves room for improvement, but you might have been really unlucky that all your 6/12/24 months calculation windows coincidentally come out to pretty bad percentages. That could change at the next calculations even if nothing else changes. But your main focus should be on making your clients happier. 

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Jacob, 

Your Job Success score is updated every two weeks, and it's important to note that any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a more extended period. Because we look at trends over 24 months, you can see your score change, even without recently closed contracts, due to past jobs slipping out of the 24-month window.

I won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how the score is calculated here.

~ Avery
Upwork

Thanks for your response. The 24-month thing makes more sense now. Oof... This might be hard to fix. Feeling a bit disheartened 😞

Jacob L wrote:

Thanks for your response. The 24-month thing makes more sense now. Oof... This might be hard to fix. Feeling a bit disheartened 😞

If you're doing any jobs where the client is happy and likely to give good feedback, ask the clients as soon as possible to close the contracts, and the feedback will help to boost your JSS. Don't close the contracts yourself, because then the clients don't have to leave feedback.

tlbp
Community Member

Jacob L wrote:

Once you have too few contracts available in your 24 month window to calculate a JSS, you won't have one. 

But, clients are still going to be able to see your past reviews. Focus on underpromising and overdelivering. 

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths