🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS Impact From a 0 pay Contract, due to a C...
Page options
adinsight
Community Member

JSS Impact From a 0 pay Contract, due to a Chargeback

Hello Everyone,

I am faced with rather a unique situation with a fixed milestone contract (ID 27639695).

The contract started and progressed like any other. I made a delivery to the client on July 16, 2021, and the client was happy with the output. I subsequently requested funds through the system. However, the milestone was consistently rejected (automatically). When I took up the case with Upwork support, they informed me that there had been a chargeback. My attempts to contact the client subsequently were futile.

As you can see, I am not at fault in this scenario. I had followed proper protocol. The contract closed today (November 28, 2021) due to inactivity (by the system). I want to understand two things please:

1. Will this contract impact my JSS calculation, as it is a contract with 0 pay?
  2. If it does, can I get it removed from my JSS calculation ( without using my top-rated perk), as it is a system issue?
ACCEPTED SOLUTION
petra_r
Community Member

Aslam D wrote:

I subsequently requested funds through the system. However, the milestone was consistently rejected (automatically). When I took up the case with Upwork support, they informed me that there had been a chargeback.

1. Will this contract impact my JSS calculation, as it is a contract with 0 pay?
  2. If it does, can I get it removed from my JSS calculation ( without using my top-rated perk), as it is a system issue?

1. The contract would only affect your JSS if it came with poor private feedback

2. The only way to remove a negative impact is by using the perk, BUT - clients who do a chargeback are suspended as it's a violation of the terms of service, and contracts with suspended clients are excluded from the JSS.

Contracts with 0 pay no longer affect the JSS and haven't for over a year (unless they had poor private feedback).

By the way: What do you mean by "a system issue"? There was no "system issue"!

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
petra_r
Community Member

Aslam D wrote:

I subsequently requested funds through the system. However, the milestone was consistently rejected (automatically). When I took up the case with Upwork support, they informed me that there had been a chargeback.

1. The contract would only affect your JSS if it came with poor private feedback

2. The only way to remove a negative impact is by using the perk, BUT - clients who do a chargeback are suspended as it's a violation of the terms of service, and contracts with suspended clients are excluded from the JSS.

Contracts with 0 pay no longer affect the JSS and haven't for over a year (unless they had poor private feedback).

By the way: What do you mean by "a system issue"? There was no "system issue"!

Hello Petra,

Thank you for your clarification. It is a relief that there will be no impact on my JSS. 

I understand that there was a chargeback, and Upwork is not by any means responsible. However, unlike hourly contracts which immediately alert the freelancer when there is an issue with the client's payment method, this fixed milestone was active. It appeared to be a usual funded milestone on which I was able to submit my work. Only after the “in review” and “pending” time period elapsed that I was alerted of the payment being rejected.

If you are kindly able to go through contract ID 27639695, you will see the milestone amount appearing as a remaining balance, while there actually is no funds. This is what I referred to as a system issue.    

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths