🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS - Must Churn Projects to Keep it Up!
Page options
financemark
Community Member

JSS - Must Churn Projects to Keep it Up!

During the course of my earning +$4,000 from a client -- from beg Jan 2020 until Feb 5 2020....WITHOUT any other client activity or feedback - my JSS went from 83% to 68%!

What did I do wrong - I think I know:

I did not churn the project to allow UW to continue earning its 20% fee! 

Folks - if you are curious about the why and what-for re UW and its JSS: consider the $. 

Please no nonsense responses from the JSS advocates...you have no credibility any longer.

8 REPLIES 8
yitwail
Community Member

Mark, I’m not advocating JSS but merely observing in case you were unaware that the 20% fee for the first $500 is per client, not job, so if this client were to close the job, leave feedback, and rehire you, Upwork would only collect a 10% fee on the new contract.

You have three jobs that closed in February of 2018 with ratings. Some or all of those likely just dropped out of your calculation window (2 years is the max). That leaves you with five closed jobs. Three have no feedback and one gave you a 4 in skills, so probably didn't give you a great private rating. So, you have 5-star feedback on one out of five jobs you've completed within the calculation window. I'm a little surprised your JSS is as high as it is.

Man, with all due respect I can't believe the first paragraph in your profile.

@sergio-soria wrote:

Oh, wow. Yeah, that's not only super unprofessional, but it's going to backfire in at least two ways: experienced Upwork clients will likely know immediately that it's a lie, and it will cause clients to look more closely at specific reviews and notice those couple of unbelievably low ratings and the number of no feedback contracts. 

Sergio S wrote:

Oh my! Just saw that.

I wonder if he realizes how unprofessional this looks. It sounds as if someone was trying to blame their poor performance on someone or something else while using this to convince prospective clients.

-----------
"Where darkness shines like dazzling light"   —William Ashbless

Rene K wrote:

Sergio S wrote:

Oh my! Just saw that.

I wonder if he realizes how unprofessional this looks. It sounds as if someone was trying to blame their poor performance on someone or something else while using this to convince prospective clients.

Yeah all you click-baiters made me look, but I must admit - totally worth it! Bashing JSS in general, then imploring clients to ignore bad feedback and just look at the good, well well.... SMH, SMH. 

tlbp
Community Member

Your JSS should go back up when that 2. something star-rating fall out of your calculation in January. 

petra_r
Community Member

Mark K wrote:

During the course of my earning +$4,000 from a client -- from beg Jan 2020 until Feb 5 2020....WITHOUT any other client activity or feedback - my JSS went from 83% to 68%!

The JSS last updated on the 2nd of February, so doesn't include the last contract that was closed with 4.8. as that was closed on the 5th of February.

During January 2020 several "good" outcomes fell out of your 2 year calculation window. Every time that happened, the 2.4 "gained weight" because it became a greater percentage of your overall outcomes.

Once the 2.4 contract from February 2018 falls out of the 2 year window this month, it will stop counting and your JSS will improve. 

Unfortunately, one or more positive outcomes will also fall out of the 2 year window, and the end result might be no JSS at all because you'll only have 2 contracts altogether in your 2 year calculation window. But none is better than a poor one.

Obviously, as others have pointed out, the whole "churning" idea is based on the wrong assumption that starting a new contract with the same client would incur a 20% fee again. It does not.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths