🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS affected by Old Open Contracts
Page options
dquigleyexcel
Community Member

JSS affected by Old Open Contracts

I have a question, and I'm looking for people's experiences.  I've been on Upwork for over 3 years, and have usually maintaned top rated status.  My JSS however, usually hovers in the 92-94% range, not the 98-100 that I see on a lot of others profiles.  My reviews, when completed, are usually very good. 

Here's my question.  I saw on another community post someone mention that keeping old jobs open could negatively impact the JSS.  As a practice, if a client doesn't close the contract, I usually have just left it open.  My thinking was that if they didn't close it themselves, they were unlikely to leave a review, and as I wasn't sure how a "no review" affected JSS, I didn't want to risk it.  As I maintained top rated status, I took a "if its not broke, don't fix it" approach.

However, I now have 26 open contracts, approx 15 of which are contracts that either ended open-ended due to client disappearing mid milestone, or completed jobs that they just didnt close. Because there are no milestones on them, I guess they just stay open for ever.

Sorry for the lenght, if you're still reading, thanks!  Here's my two part question:
1 - Is there a negative for JSS to keeping all of these contracts open?
2 - If yes , is there a negative to closing out 15 contracts that will probably not get reviews all at once?  
Really it comes down to should I:
A) Leave it alone and keep them open
B) Close them all at once
C) Close 1 at a time and monitor my JSS as I go

Any insight would be very much appreciated!  Thanks and have a nice weekend!!

3 REPLIES 3
m_terrazas
Community Member

Hi Dan,

From what I understand, open contracts in which there has been "exchange of money", do not harm the JSS, unless (if I remember correctly), there are many.
And also, that it is better to close them little by little.

But, sure there is a compamion who can inform you more accurately 🙂

Someone will appear!

gilbert-phyllis
Community Member

Contracts that earned any money at all can sit idle forever without hurting your JSS. Closed contracts with no client feedback can hurt you if there are too many. If you want to tidy up by closing old, idle contracts, don't close them all at once. Close one at a time, interspersed with more recent ones that close with feedback. Personally, I just let them sit.

Phyllis G wrote:

Contracts that earned any money at all can sit idle forever without hurting your JSS. Closed contracts with no client feedback can hurt you if there are too many. If you want to tidy up by closing old, idle contracts, don't close them all at once. Close one at a time, interspersed with more recent ones that close with feedback. Personally, I just let them sit.

What I said, someone appears and gives you the precise information 🙂

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members