cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS and Rising Talent as requirements for every client job posted

Mercedes T B Member Since: Sep 16, 2015
1 of 7

I have been working with Upwork now for almost a year.  I am happy with working for a couple of clients part-time but as the bulk of the projects wind down into bookeeping maintenance I am looking for one or two more small clients to add.

About a  month ago I started looking and sending out proposals 2 - 3 times a week.  I know,  I know, I should be sending dozens out everyday.  I am picky about the clients I am seeking.  So, it seems that every client is being coached to REQUIRE free lancers with a JSS of 90% AND to be "Rising Talent."  Why?

The JSS from what I can tell is not a viable number because no one really knows how it is calculated.

I answer ALL e-mails from this site within 24 hours.  I work with my clients consistently and have now crossed the 500 hour line on Upwork.  But, because I have not concluded my contracts with my current clients I guess, I have no Job Success Score because it based on quantity not quality from what I can glean from other free lancers with more experience posted her in the forum.  Also, I was a Rising Talent at the end of last year, but not now.

If clients are being coached to require these attributes how can a free lancer possibly be a Rising Talent AND have a JSS of 90%+?

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
2 of 7

You can still apply. I see it as them saying "no noobs."  Of course, my very first job that I got without my Elance profile being transferred was for a job where I didn't meet 3 of the requirements.

I'm talking to a guy now who wanted 500 hours. I'm only at 300. If you think you're a good fit, bid.

And 3-4/week is a good amount. I don't know about you, but I can't find dozens a day in my area of expertise each day. I can't even find 1 some days.

I'd rather work with 3-4 customers each week at my rate than 20 broke jokers who want the world at $5/hour.

Community Leader
Matija M Member Since: Feb 4, 2013
3 of 7

@Mercedes T B wrote:

So, it seems that every client is being coached to REQUIRE free lancers with a JSS of 90% AND to be "Rising Talent."  Why?

If clients are being coached to require these attributes how can a free lancer possibly be a Rising Talent AND have a JSS of 90%+?

It's a beta test program.

Community Guru
Nichola L Member Since: Mar 13, 2015
4 of 7

Oh, it's a beta test now - about a week ago, it was a bug?

Community Guru
Christy A Member Since: Dec 30, 2015
5 of 7

I can't figure out how you can have a JSS AND Rising Talent.  Don't you lose Rising Talent when you transition to JSS?  So no one would have both.  Right?

Community Leader
Matija M Member Since: Feb 4, 2013
6 of 7

@Nichola L wrote:

Oh, it's a beta test now - about a week ago, it was a bug?

Nichola, everything is a beta test (or some feature, like Apple tactics for dealing with bugs) Smiley Tongue

Valeria K Moderator Member Since: Mar 6, 2014
7 of 7

Mercedes and Nichola, 

Please, check my post here, to learn more about what Matija is referring to. 

@Valeria K. wrote:

Hi All,

I would like to share a couple of updates regarding preferred qualifications on job posts.

• Last week some of you noticed that a lot of jobs included the Rising Talent preferred qualification. It was due to a bug that caused the Rising Talent preference to be assigned to job posts by mistake. The bug has since been resolved.

• That being said, you may still see more jobs looking for freelancers with Job Success Score of 90% or admitted to our Rising Talent program. This is because we are running a test to improve client search results and freelancer recommendations. When a client posts a job, a preference for freelancers with a minimum Job Success Score of 90% and those who have been admitted to our Rising Talent program will be set by default. These defaults will only apply to client searches and recommendations pertaining to that job and will not affect the visibility of freelancer proposals. The client can change these default settings by updating their preferences on the job post.

Thank you.

~ Valeria
Untitled
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS