🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS and Upfront token bundle for Connects
Page options
akstri
Community Member

JSS and Upfront token bundle for Connects

Hello Upwork Team,

As always, let me begin by putting my thanks and by showing my gratification towards my all team members of Upwork, because you all deserve this. Why deserve this? Because, you all guys have made tremendous efforts to make this platform hazle free in respect of ease of doing work.

(Let me clarify here that, please ignore my opinions and concerns if you all find these non-viable. If I am putting my opinion/s, it doesn't mean I am always right. I am just putting my concerns. I can see there are three sides of this platform: Upwork, Clients, Freelancers. We can only really win if there is a win win situation for all of these 3 parties)

I am working on this platform since 2014 (as I was the member of Elance previously) and have achieved a satisfactory successful outcome derived from our mutual efforts. Generally, I do not lay out anything in public interest before Upwork team and you guys have always satisfied me in my technical issues on Upwork so far. But, there are 2 matters for which I would like to bring my opinion and concern before you, which are as below:

1) Job Success Score
2) Upfront token bundle for Connects

1) Job Success Score: First of all, I really appreciate the efforts and money spent by the Upwork for the "Job Success Score" and I have also raised this issue couple of years ago. Now recall me the matter that we all know the intention behind the "JSS" is to grab attention of clients towards hardworking and attentive freelancers by showing their percentage of success in iconic way and make their profile stand out in a crowd. Generally what happens, when freelancer goes beyond the 90% in his/her JSS, he/she will feel disappointed and they will start writing on forum or will complain before Upwork by raising tickets. Once, freelancer will achieve satisfactory JSS (above 90%) they will stop complaining. Actually, we all believe in one concept that is the "concept of efforts", but at the same time with our efforts one more concept will play its role and that is a "concept of luck". Many of the freelancers might have been faced a situation where he/she submits the proposals for jobs keenly, accurately, sensibly, constantly and although they will not get succeed in winning the job and they will see their "JSS" goes down below 90%. I personally had faced the same situation few months ago. Now, here because of the "concept of luck", freelancers will have to compromise with the "concept of efforts". We know that clients are receiving 50+ project proposals for some of their projects (especially when the job is easy to do). According to my opinion, JSS facility is a good parameter to distinguish good freelancers, but that should not be the mere parameter for filtration. Today, I was searching for a good job proposal to bid. From many job proposals, I found one project which was suitable for me, but I noticed that client has 4+ star rating for their 40+ reviews. So according to my parameter, I was just going to pass to another project without filling the bid for the same, but when I gone through client's all feedback in detail, I noticed that the client had received bad feedback only in those jobs which were difficult to carry out easily, otherwise, the client had received awesome feedback in all other projects which were the same type of the projects that were matched with the job posted for which I was interested. And finally, I submitted my proposal for that job. So, what is my opinion regarding JSS or star ratings is that going through or screening of whole profile is the best practise for making good judgment in selecting the right person. And sometimes, JSS and star rating play negative role in the judgment of right selection (according to my opinion). Now Upwork, since the beginning and according to their guidelines everywhere on the platform, has always been requested all of us to go through the details carefully, but I don't know, how many people follows this simple but important thumb rule. But, actually there is a problem, that now a days, many of the people are very very very very busy and don't have a time to go through the details and to select the right proposal. And ultimately, what happens? After few days of working with the wrong selection, the result will end up with the "NEGATIVE FEEDBACK" that we all don't like.

Now, what is my request to Upwork: Is it possible to display such parameters on Upwork website (for both parties, either the clients or the freelancers) in such a way, so it doesn't depict that this is only the parameter for selection of the right proposal?

2) Upfront token bundle for Connects: Certainly, this is the new introduction and also connected with the cost, so you guys will receive millions of requests and suggestions for this issue at least for upcoming 6 months. I think, I am little hasty.
Now, here the question is "why the cost for connects?"
Now, what is the argument: "the same reason, clients are receiving 50+ project proposals."
My answer: "till now, there were 60 connects per month (approx. 2 connects per one proposal bid) means on an average "1 proposal bid per day". Moreover, clients are still receiving 50+ bids (just kidding).
One's argument: "when freelancer doesn't have project he/she will start bidding carelessly, so in short period of time they use more connects carelessly"
My answer: "can we give 30 connects free per month (on an average 2 connects for one proposal bid)?", so now they can bid for approx 15 project bids per month. Why they are paying for the things that doesn't guarantee the winning of a job?
One's argument: No, no we are not taking any upfront, we just want to control the bids.
My answer: 30 free connects per month (approx. 2 connects per one proposal bid, as we did so far)? That can also control the situation. And we can re-set 30 free connects per month, as we are doing so far. So, they will have only 30 free connects per month at least.
One's argument: okay we'll think over it, but what if someone wants to bid more?
My answer: then it would be cost for additional connects (for more than 30 conntects).
One's argument: whats about rollover?
My answer: paid connects only can be rollover. And we can set the rollover limit down to the requirement calculation.

My opinion: I can understand that it is not quite easy to implement the things, and you guys will have to think for all the concerned parties, but as I said, this is my request and opinion. Moreover, I cannot understand 2 to 6 connects per proposal bid. For what type of projects, you guys will insist me to bid? If I am bidding for long term project then I'll have to use 6 connects (that will pause me) and if I want to use 2 connects then I'll have to bid for small projects. So, I cannot understand the purpose for the same. There should be "2 connects per one bid". Its on freelancer's discretion that for which type of projects they should use their connects.

I have never used my any free connects carelessly on Upwork since 2016, although now I'll have to pay for the connects. I don't know what will happen, but one thing will happen on Upwork that the moral of the sincere freelancers will certainly be ruined. I think, day by day, we are being more and more complex. I have started my full time freelancing in Elance since 2014 and now here I am in Upwork and its 2019, and I am still looking for the steady and ongoing work. Technology can help us in solving the problems but technology should not be the mere solution for all the concerns and problems. You guys will have to think beyond the technology. Upwork Team has the database about sincere (clients/freelancers) people on Upwork. Upwork Team can help us by introducing good freelancers with good clients. We know our Upwork system: When client has a job then freelancer will have a job, when freelancer will work then client will receive the job done, when client will satisfy then they will pay, when client will pay then freelancers and Upwork will earn. And then we all 3 parties will win. Concept of online freelancing is at its infancy, we’ll have to be careful if we want to survive it.

We know that number of freelancers are constantly increasing on the platform compared to the number of clients. So, naturally overall submission of connects will increase.

I have the faith in the caliber of Upwork's team and hope you guys will certainly bring some in between solution that will satisfy all of us and can achieve pure success as we had so far.

Thanks,
Akshay Trivedi

0 REPLIES 0
Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members