Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: JSS computation with additional feature

Highlighted
Community Guru
Will L Member Since: Jul 9, 2015
21 of 51

Well, Tonya, what you say may, or may not, be true.

But I have seen no information from Upwork that states, "...the minimum qualifications for a long-term contract are 3 months and regular payments. If I understand the process correctly, a contract for which a payment was received in month 2 which remained open with no additional payments for 13 additional months, for example, would not qualify as long-term."

What is "regular"? - Once a month, once a quarter, something else? I have never had a contract stay idle for 13 months and would always ask, as I just did recently, that clients close their projects that have been idle for only a couple of months. Most clients do so without question; some admit they had no idea they needed to close their completed projects on Upwork. Reminding them is part of what a freelancer has to do - clients have much less reason to understand Upwork's many rules, protocols, quirks, etc. than freelancers have.

Some posters here tell us they know much more about many elements of how Upwork works than Upwork has stated publicly, so, for most of us, this sort of thing is just another blacked-out window in the edifice that is Upwork. We can't see in.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
22 of 51

Will L wrote:

Some posters here tell us they know much more about many elements of how Upwork works than Upwork has stated publicly,

Not that again.

You keep repeating that lie over and over hoping that someone out there will take it as anything other than the malicious claptrap that it is.

"Some posters" repeatedly show you where Upwork has publicly stated what you claim is not publicly stated, or patiently explain why certain conclusions are obvious, but that does not fit into your obsessive stance that the JSS is so opaque that nobody could possibly understand how any of it is calculated, which you spew all over post after post whether the post has anything to do with the JSS at all or not. It is not "some posters" fault that you don't understand how the JSS works and are either unable or unwilling to read and comprehend the information that is available.

Enough already.

Community Guru
23 of 51

Petra,

You have posted clearly incorrect information often enough that I take much of what you claim to know with a grain of salt. That doesn't mean most of what you post isn't useful.

Keep up the good work.

Community Guru
24 of 51

Petra,

You have posted clearly incorrect information often enough that I take much of what you claim to know with a grain of salt.

That doesn't mean most of what you post isn't useful.

Keep up the good work.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
25 of 51

Will L wrote:

You have posted clearly incorrect information often enough that I take much of what you claim to know with a grain of salt.

1) I have? "Often enough?" Without instantly correcting myself when I make a mistake?  For example? LOL - wow. You really do have a deep-seated problem, don't you?

2) What does that have to do with your constantly repeated lie that "some people claim to know stuff that is not publicly available?"

I know of no person who has ever made any such claim.

Community Guru
26 of 51

Petra, This thread isn't about you, as much as you might like it to be.

Let's stick to the subject at hand - can the Job Success Score computations be improved and more reflective of each freelancer's "success" with Upwork clients by weighting longer-term, higher income jobs more heavily that very short-term, low value projects?

I don't think anyone expects Upwork will suddenly take an interest in changing the JSS system. That doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing among ourselves.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
27 of 51

Will L wrote:

Petra, This thread isn't about you, as much as you might like it to be.

Let's stick to the subject at hand - can the Job Success Score computations be improved and more reflective of each freelancer's "success" with Upwork clients by weighting longer-term, higher income jobs more heavily that very short-term, low value projects?

I don't think anyone expects Upwork will suddenly take an interest in changing the JSS system. That doesn't mean it isn't worth discussing among ourselves.

OP doesn't even want to change the JSS calculation. He just wants a way to remove bad feedback without having to maintain Top Rated status in order to do it.

Community Guru
Phyllis G Member Since: Sep 8, 2016
28 of 51

Will L wrote:

Some posters here tell us they know much more about many elements of how Upwork works than Upwork has stated publicly, so, for most of us, this sort of thing is just another blacked-out window in the edifice that is Upwork. We can't see in.

Will, have you not installed the InkVisible app? You need it to access the parts of UW's user documentation written in invisible ink. You should have received a link when you were first designated as a Community Guru.

Community Guru
Jennifer M Member Since: May 17, 2015
29 of 51

Will L wrote:

But I have seen no information from Upwork that states, "...the minimum qualifications for a long-term contract are 3 months and regular payments. If I understand the process correctly, a contract for which a payment was received in month 2 which remained open with no additional payments for 13 additional months, for example, would not qualify as long-term."

What is "regular"? - Once a month, once a quarter, something else? I have never had a contract stay idle for 13 months and would always ask, as I just did recently, that clients close their projects that have been idle for only a couple of months. Most clients do so without question; some admit they had no idea they needed to close their completed projects on Upwork. Reminding them is part of what a freelancer has to do - clients have much less reason to understand Upwork's many rules, protocols, quirks, etc. than freelancers have.

Vlad just posted recently that long-term is indeed 3 months of regular payments. The only thing they haven't clarified is what "regular" means, but I think the guess is it has to be once a month.

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
30 of 51

What is a long term content:

"May 11, 2019 02:01:16 AM by Vladimir G
...To clarify, clients you work with for at least three months in a past year and pay you regularly are your long-term clients. This could be over one or multiple contracts and could be hourly or fixed-price work. I checked your contracts and one client you're working with is really close to qualifying as a long-term relationship. Keep up the good work and your stats should reflect the long-term status in a couple of weeks."

See also, 

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Member-Discussions/Several-contracts-for-the-same-client-does-that-c...

https://community.upwork.com/t5/Freelancers/Couple-of-questions-about-long-term-clients-amp-responsi...

Or, simply type the phrase "long term contract" into the Upwork Community search bar. 

TOP KUDOED MEMBERS