Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JSS does not reflect performance

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
Cathy C Member Since: Apr 17, 2016
11 of 16

Thank you for your response. It is helpful.

The feedback gives a sense of what it was like working with her. 

Could someone from Upwork please explain why there is no option for closing a contract when the reason is unrelated to performance?  (Yes, it now sounds like it would be better to modify the existing contract but we did not know this at the time.)  

In any case, there should be a mechanism for making exceptions to the algorithm when the result is clearly unfair to the freelancer.

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
12 of 16

If a contract is closed with no money exchanged it affects your score.

You have one contract they rated Skills and Quality a 4 and another Availability  and Commication a 4.

Unfortunately none of us including you are privy to what score these two gave you privately or the others. If you had anything under 9 for, "Would you recommend this freelancer" that would have lowered  your score as well.

Best thing to do is forget it and work on raising your score  as Upwork is not going to explain it to you or change it.

I have been hit with my score being lowered in the past and only cause of a couple clients that thought a 7 or 8 on "Would you recommend...." was a great score. Until Upwork revises some of the scoring you, me and everyone else just have to grit our teeth and bear it...

You can bring your score up with a couple more jobs. Not to hard to do doing Fixed rate jobs. Harder to do with long term jobs like I work. But can be done.

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
13 of 16

Given all that, if my work is so awful, why would they encourage me to apply for specific jobs?  Wouldn't that lower the quality standards that they are trying to uphold?

Highlighted
Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
14 of 16

The last numbers I saw indicate that Upwork has 14 million freelancers. I don't think they care much about a single individual's JSS scores. I do know that no one at Upwork is going to tell you the details of how your JSS is calculated. Anyone who doesn't know that by now hasn't been paying attention. 

If you can get the job with the low rating, then why should Upwork care? Everyone gets the list of jobs that might be a fit for them. Usually, they aren't even that good of a fit. Asking why seems pretty pointless. I don't know any freelancers who think that the JSS score actually reflects their job skills. Job success is defined as Upwork chooses to define it.  

The system is what it is. Consider it an incentive to experiment with other platforms and revenue streams. 

Highlighted
Community Guru
Suzanne N Member Since: Aug 15, 2012
15 of 16

@Cathy C wrote:

Given all that, if my work is so awful, why would they encourage me to apply for specific jobs?  Wouldn't that lower the quality standards that they are trying to uphold?

Cathy,

Everyone gets jobs sent to them if it is ticked off in your options. If you were getting private invites, then you could ask why your JS didn't matter. It doesn't really unless the score is terribly low. It shouldn't stop you from applying for jobs and improving your JSS. 

Highlighted
Ace Contributor
16 of 16

To be clear, I was not under the impression that these are personal invitations just for me. I only mentioned this because there are so many complaints from clients about the low quality of contractors.

If Upwork is concerned about the quality of contractors, wouldn’t it want policies that discourage low-quality contractors (like it has labeled me) from diluting the pool of more qualified candidates?

It is just one other example of the way that the policies of this company don't make sense.

TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS