🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS dropped
Page options
ibangajnr
Community Member

JSS dropped

Hello.

This is my very first post here, though I have read a ton!

About a month ago, I woke up to find that my JSS had suddenly dropped from a perfect 100% to 89%, making me lose my Top-Rated badge. I was devastated as I couldn't just find out why. I had glowing reviews from all my clients and 100% said they would recommend me. The only thing I could point to was an offer I accepted from a client who became unreachable immediately after. He didn't respond to my 10s of messages. I had to end the contract since I didn't want another week to pass without any activity on the project.

I had thought that my JSS will show some signs of recovery, but no! It is still at 89% after two update cycles (last one today) and a few added jobs with pleased clients. What is going on? Is this some kind of bug?

I must add that just a few days ago, my client recommendation dropped to 75%, but that still doesn't explain why the JSS is fixed at 89% for 2 whole cycles.

It is frustrating for someone like me who strives to meet and, most times, exceed my clients' expectations. I had expected my JSS to reflect my efforts and my clients' rating of my work, as I have been rehired by a few of them.

Maybe someone with more experience can help me out. I am missing out on some jobs due to this.

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hi Elmir,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

View solution in original post

1,019 REPLIES 1,019
the-right-writer
Community Member

I understand that it can be frustrating to believe you have happy clients and then see your JSS drop. I checked your profile, and you are at 89, which isn't bad, and you can get your top rating back with a few good jobs.

The JSS is based on private feedback, long-term clients, the number of jobs, and other metrics Upwork doesn't share because they believe some freelancers would cheat the system, and they are correct. You can have glowing public reviews, but as you discovered, private feedback and recommendations have an enormous impact.

The JSS updates every two weeks, but there are time-frames for updates that may knock out some previous jobs. If you focus on getting more jobs and make sure you do the best you can I think you will be top-rated again soon. 

You have to let go of thinking about why a client didn't give you a better score. I used to do that, and it creates anxiety around applying for new jobs. Put it behind you, and send out some great proposals.

If you mean you can't apply for some jobs because it says "90% or above" you might apply anyway if the job is a good fit.

Thanks, Jeanne. Really helpful!

xokaido
Community Member

Hi, I've been working on Upwork since 2011. If you check my profile you'll see I always try to provide quality service and clients are happy with the skills I have. This year, I've been working outside of Upwork and suddenly my rating got degraded significantly. This is really unfair and I think Upwork now **Edited for Community Guidelines**.

What are your opinions?

geri_kol
Community Member

The logic behind how Upwork's JSS algorithm works is wrong, opaque and short-sighted in many ways - this is yet another one of them. There is no reason a freelancer's JSS should drop if they simply don't work on the site for a given period of time.

heiss
Community Member

So true. I can't understand why past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame--a job successfully completed is a job successfully completed, it has nothing to do with time. It's like the JSS is highly dependent on time and not ability or skill.

I agree. Why should your score drop if you haven't been able to get any jobs? I'm seeing a huge drop in writing jobs, no doubt due to AI. It's not from lack of applying; there just aren't that many jobs.

Hi Levani and Gergana,

Thank you for your message. We update the score that you see on your profile on a biweekly basis. You may also see your Job Success score change due to the rolling time window over which the score is calculated. Because your score is calculated over multiple time frames and the best score from your 6-month, 12-month, and 24-month JSS displayed, a contract can sometimes slip out of that calculation, causing your score to change significantly without any recent activity. For example, a contract will no longer be counted in your 6-month window once it is 6-months and one day old. Check out this help page for more information.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

I've been having the same issue with Upwork, in the past month my score JSS went from 94% to 85%. I honestly do not trust the way it's calculated now, I've been top rated consistently for 3-years. And makes no sense because in the last month I had no negative contracts. My last client left great public feedback and I know privately too, other client left good public feedback and based on the fact that he intends to hire me later, I assume good private feedback as well. I think Upwork has some issue they won't admit to having.

akbarov_elmir
Community Member

Hello,

My JSS was 84% few weeks ago, I succesfully delivered few projects and increased it to 92%.

I didn't closed any contract in last 2 weeks.

I know everything about 24/12/6 month results, private feedbacks etc.. it has nothing to do with it.

Shortly I had 100% JSS, and only 1 person gave me 0% private feedback. I very hardly increased it to 92% , now it is 84% without any reason..

Please someone check it and solve this bug or whatever it is, please... 

Right now in My Stats page : 92% Job Success

In my profile : 84% Job Success

Hi Elmir,

Thank you for your message. Your Job Success Score can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

Update:

This thread has been closed from further replies due to its size. We appreciate your participation in the Community and welcome you to continue the conversation on this new thread.

Thank you!

~ Arjay
Upwork

There should be 100% transparancy as to how the metric is calculated.  Once a success score dips below a certain number you will not be hired and thus not be able to imporve the score.   I quite one job because the client kep changing the requirements and my score is not 67%.  That was 2 years ago.  

Hi Doug,

We don't reveal the exact calculation for your score because doing so would make it easier for some users to artificially boost their scores. To ensure fairness and accuracy in the marketplace, we need to maintain some privacy with this metric.

At a high level, we look at JSS this way:

(successful contract outcomes - negative contract outcomes) / total outcomes

Important factors about your JSS:

• If a freelancer or agency owner is exclusive to an agency, the agency's JSS will be shown on the profile rather than an individual rating. Click here for more about agency JSS.
  • Longer-term relationships are great and can help boost your score. That said, not having them will not count against you.
  • Jobs with higher earnings weigh more and will have a bigger impact on your score.
  • We understand that some projects have bad outcomes because the client is difficult to work with. We track freelancer feedback of clients and flag those clients with a history of poor collaboration. If one of your clients has been previously flagged (or has been suspended for Terms of Service violations), their feedback will not count against your JSS.
  • You can also request removal of feedback for one Project Catalog contract, per month.
  • You can view your score on your My Stats page and earn rewards for building an outstanding reputation. Any score at 90% or above is excellent (and puts you on the track to earn Top Rated status). If your score falls below 75%, you may find it difficult to connect with new clients or win new projects in the marketplace.

~ AJ
Upwork

AJ - 

Thanks for taking the time to read, understand and respond to Doug's comments. I know everyone is trying to do their best, but it can be very frustrating as a community member to see repetitive, generic moderator responses. They can really leave the impression that our engagement is not valued.

Conversely, your reply sends the exact opposite message and adds a lot of value to the community. It also demonstrates very nicely that just because we can't take the exact requested action or provide the exact answer to a specific question doesn't mean that we can't help the questioner.

I was unaware of most of the points in your reply, but I am super glad to know them now. They also show a level of common sense logic being applied that, at least for me, makes it easier to focus on my overall profile vs a single metric. As long as we have confidence that the calculation is being uniformly made across all freelancers, I can think of it more like when I get on the scale at the Doctor's office. In that setting, I always tell the nurse I don't want to know the number, just tell me if the overall trend is healthy or not.

Thanks for the solid information and being genuinely helpful.

Cheers

Charles

Help me jopp

7bd69b43
Community Member

Hi Arjay, one of my customers mistakenly clicked refund and ended my contract earlier. Then he found out he was wrong and paid me with a bonus. However today I found out that it affected my JSS, it dropped from 100% to 78%. Can you help me check my profile and assist me?

4cd794c9
Community Member

Hello Arjay, I just realised that my JSS has dropped from 100% to 92%. There have been no negative outcomes, so I dont understand why it could have dropped. Thank you for your time.

Hi Swati,

I'm sorry to learn about the sudden drop in your score.  Please be aware that we update the score that you see on your profile on a biweekly basis. You may also see your Job Success score change due to the rolling time window over which the score is calculated.

That said, because your score is calculated over multiple time frames and the best score from your 6-month, 12-month, and 24-month JSS displayed, a contract can sometimes slip out of that calculation, causing your score to change significantly without any recent activity. For example, a contract will no longer be counted in your 6-month window once it is 6 months and one day old. We have gone into great detail on how your Job Success score is calculated here.

~ Arjay
Upwork
ajayesh95
Community Member

Sawati I also face this issue.. and that is big reason for me to quit this
platform.. and I now decide to move on hubsttaf..
4cd794c9
Community Member

Thanks so much for your response Arjay.

I still think that the calculation of the JSS score is needlessly complicated. Now freelancers will have to ensure that the clients leave feedback. Just one of my clients did not leave a feedback even though the work was satisfactorily completed. May be I should have sent in a reminder once the contract was finished but did not know that the client feedback is counted in the JSS. I thought that as long as I complete all the work and the client is happy with it the job is a success. 🙂 thanks anyway.

Same issue, Thanks for sharing.

asigua13
Community Member

Hi. Can you check my JSS in my profile? It was just 92% yesterdat but then it dropped to 75% in less than 24 hours. The score in my stats is still 92% Please check. I want to file a ticket. and it directed me to this page. Like, what is going on?

I need help. My JSS on my profile yesterday was 92% and now it dropped to 75% in less than 24 hours. The JSS in my stats is still 92%. I would like to file a ticket please!!!!

Hi Alani,

Thank you for reaching out. I can see that you've already raised a support ticket regarding your concern. You can access your support tickets here. Note that support requests are responded to in the order they are received. Kindly allow 24-48 hours for the team to follow up with you and assist you further.

~ AJ
Upwork

HELP MY PROFILE PAGE JSS DROPPED FROM 93% TO 75%. MY STATS PAGE SAYS IT'S 93% WHAT IS GOING ON?! I JUST ENDED 1 CONTRACT AND HAD BEEN HIRED AGAIN ALREADY. WHAT IS GOING ON?!

5c8734aa
Community Member

My JSS has dropped from 90% to 88%. This weird because upwork used to update JSS and scores on Sunday but they changed my on Monday night which they never did to me till now.

I need to know why my JSS drops, client has given me good feedback and also offers me new project. This is so weird

penngrp
Community Member

I am no detective, but I would say it dropped because your last client gave you a feedback rating of 4.45. 

faranshahbazkhan
Community Member

Hi there, 

Here's an episode of JSS decrease:

- 100% < 97%

- 97% < 95%

- 95% < 93%

- 93% < 91%

All this time, I have had an unfortunate job, that ended with 0 earnings and negative feedback, and is apparently not shown under "Completed Jobs", but when this happened, my JSS only dropped to 97% from 100% and I was adamant about not using the *Top Rated Perk* as yet for a 3% decrease from a huge impact it could possibly have that I assumed at the time. 

Moving forward, I have only had 2 other jobs completed and both of them went fairly well, in fact, the latest job that just ended recently is my recurring client and I would scale it as a large job ($3k+), and I find no reason for her to give me bad private feedback because she's always in touch with me. 

Moreover, something that I suspect is, that I have an hourly contract open for quite a few months now, which is yet to be billed, though the client is unresponsive ever since I accepted his offer, and I have no assignment to work with as yet. (I am not sure if this could be a reason)

I know I still have the perk and I can definitely use it to remove the impact of the 0 earned contract from the JSS, but I think there's something else that's probably hurting my JSS which I am definitely not aware of, or perhaps if anyone could possibly change my mind here? 

Lastly, I also would like to know, if getting the feedback from the "Jobs in progress" clients will somehow boost my JSS. 

I have never had a 91% JSS in the past 3 years of providing services here, but it's different this time around. I would dearly appreciate some genuine advice/suggestions/help. 

Thanks

Regards

mohammad_zaib
Community Member

Hi, My JSS was updated on 24 August and it was 100% + 100%-the clients who would recommend me after the 5 jobs successfully ended with great feedbacks. 

But later when it got updated on 6 Sept. after two weeks, it's directly fallen to 91 % + 88%the clients who would recommend me.

So, I checked the contracts ended after 24 August, there were 5 jobs and all were ended with 5 star feedback and I am sure they have definitely given me 5 too in private feedback because I delivered them very good work. They have not only given the stars but also given the feedback in Words.

Now, Its confirmed definitely those 10 JOBS did not affected my JSS. But I have 6 JOBS in progress and out of those 5 are active as completed the work within previous 3 to 4 Days. Only 1 JOB of $50 which was started in Aug. 10 is still in progress as the client not ended the contract. I have messaged him and waiting for his action.

So, is that 1 job lead to the fall in JSS or something else I am missing.

Hi Mohammad Zaib,

Your JSS measures your clients’ satisfaction with your overall work history on Upwork’s platform. It reflects your clients’ satisfaction as shown by relationships, feedback, and job outcomes over time. Your JSS can change for several reasons, even without activity. The following are may affect your score:

• You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

~ Joanne
Upwork

Did you close any contracts on your own?

No.

907151f4
Community Member

Hello, Everybody I have completed almost 12 Jobs and got 5/5 feedback in almost every job except one job in which I have got 4.85/5 but in prevoius 1.5 months ago my JSS score was 100% as I didn't get a job in this time peroid I have get a job yesterday but today I have checked my profile as I have 95% JSS I don't know why it is decreased I am little worried as I am top rated freelancer I never got a bad feedback from any client need urgent help why my JSS is decreasing? 

We are facing the same issue on our agency profile.

have you consulted upwork so far?

dhamagaurav
Community Member

Hi, My JSS was 94% after the update of September 4 but it has dropped to 93% on Tuesday I can not understand how it has changed on Tuesday please help.

Hi Gaurav,

Thank you for your message. A freelancer’s Job Success score is a measure of their work and reputation on Upwork based on client feedback and indicators of client satisfaction. It includes their public and private feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. You can read more about the positive and negative indicators that make up your score here.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Upwork

Hi, Thanks for your reply my concern is not dropped JSS here but the question is why it has changed on Tuesday?

JSS was updated over the week-end. Might have taken 24-48h to reflect on profile.

crart
Community Member

Pradeep H wrote:

Hi Gaurav,

Thank you for your message. A freelancer’s Job Success score is a measure of their work and reputation on Upwork based on client feedback and indicators of client satisfaction. It includes their public and private feedback, long-term relationships, rehires, and contracts that do not result in work delivered. You can read more about the positive and negative indicators that make up your score here.

Thank you,

Pradeep

Wait. Let me comment on this specific:

a measure of their work and reputation on Upwork based on client feedback and indicators of client satisfaction

so how is this possible that when I have long contract and logically (I'm really sorry, difficult idea...) will not burry myself under too many contracts because (sorry again...) I do have a life outside Upwork projects, my JSS drops? I don't have feedback at that time because I am IN THE WORKING PROCESS, I am indeed working but long-term so it is extremely unfair to measure freelancer's worth or whatever this silly JSS idea shows based on contracts that ended long, long ago. It is irrelevant. You really should reconsider two things:

- either remove JSS and just allow public feedback ONLY (to remove haters, idiots, silly people and simple trolls that just love to backstab) so that clients can simply read, maybe show some average star rating next to freelancer's name, that is way more fair;

- rework JSS calculation so that it takes only last 5 contracts, no matter their timing (because you know, I'm really sorry... LONG-TERM contracts will prevent me from taking small *** because I don't like being distracted and like to deliver high quality work), so that when freelancer takes a break (I know, silly idea to stop earning for Upwork), they do not lose what they already gained because that is very, VERY unfair, situations happen and you cannot punish people for, say, getting sick and going to hospital for 6 weeks with their JSS dropping to something like 50% only because they were sick and couldn't obviously work.

Whoever insists on JSS existing in this broken form should really change their job.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths