🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS dropped
Page options
dsmgdesign
Community Member

JSS dropped

Just noticed my JSS dropped from 100% to 98%. I am top-rated, have all 5-star ratings, work consistently, have a few long-term contracts, and was proud of my 100% score. Why did it drop? 

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I'm surprised that as a freelancer with a 100% JSS, you're not aware of the intricacies of the system. 

There is more to it than the 5 stars and a nice comment they give you. They are also asked if they would recommend you and also if the job is finished successfully or if something else is the reason of the contract being closed. 

Those and the other few things in Tonya's screenshot make up the private feedback. You never know what it is. But if it's negative, it will affect your JSS negatively. Sorry. 

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
tlbp
Community Member

Image 2018-09-20 at 11.34.21 AM.png

dsmgdesign
Community Member

??

My Tonya translation: private feedback

And....??

I'm surprised that as a freelancer with a 100% JSS, you're not aware of the intricacies of the system. 

There is more to it than the 5 stars and a nice comment they give you. They are also asked if they would recommend you and also if the job is finished successfully or if something else is the reason of the contract being closed. 

Those and the other few things in Tonya's screenshot make up the private feedback. You never know what it is. But if it's negative, it will affect your JSS negatively. Sorry. 

But, how do you know for certain that's the only answer? I really don't know who would leave negative private feedback, then give me a 5-star rating publically. It doesn't make sense. I do have a couple old projects with no payments on it for at least 2 months. How do you know for sure that isn't what's dropping my score? 

Well, that can definitely be a factor as well. Although I have a few contracts that are inactive for months, and fairly sporadic, but I haven't seen a change... yet. 

Either way, they always claim their system is ridiculously complicated, and the algorhytm just does its own thing. Meaning, no one will have a specific answer for you. 

David S M wrote:

But, how do you know for certain that's the only answer? I really don't know who would leave negative private feedback, then give me a 5-star rating publically. It doesn't make sense. I do have a couple old projects with no payments on it for at least 2 months. How do you know for sure that isn't what's dropping my score? 

Just doing a little sleuthing here...you left less than 5 stars for your most recent client. Was something up there? Because if you felt something was a little off perhaps so did he...? Just a thought.

David S M wrote:

I do have a couple old projects with no payments on it for at least 2 months. How do you know for sure that isn't what's dropping my score? 

Have you ever received payment on those contracts? If so, they are not hurting your JSS.

If you have any contracts that closed without any payment (ever) or are open for months without nothing ever paid, that can be it, too.

As for why clients leave 5 stars and poor(er) private feedback: Generally it's because they were previously on the receiving end of freelancers flipping out because they did not get 5 star feedback...

baileysarah68
Community Member

Hi!

Same problem here, but mine dropped from 100% to 95% without any closing of contracts.

Sarah B wrote:

Same problem here, but mine dropped from 100% to 95% without any closing of contracts.

And contracts that never (!) led to any earnings? Cancelled, closed with nothing paid, or open for over 2 months with nothing (!) ever (!) paid at all from day one?

Nope!

I do have one that is from Marsch but I did get paid at the start (for a test), but he is for some reason looking for one more translator and hasn't provided any work since then.

I now have several ongoing contracts that provide work al the time.

No closed contacts in a while though, and they all left 5 stars so my rate was 100% for some time.

Can it be because I haven't started a new contract in while?

Am I being punished for a client that I have an open contract with but hasn't assigned any work since March?

Really??

So my JSS does not only reflect on my work and reviews from clients, 5-stars all the way, but also depending on the clients' workload?

If this is the case, it is unreasonable unfair and will impact on my ability to get work!

This rule needs to be changed right away!

Go to your "My Stats" page. Look at the perentage of clients who would recommend you. If this is less than 100%, then it means a client left you private feedback that they would not recommend you. This would hurt your JSS. 

Contracts closed with no money paid, or even contracts open for more than 2 or 3 months with no money ever paid on those contracts would also hurt your JSS. 

My stats: 

Clients who would recommend you 100%, so that is not the problem.

So it must be because of: contracts open for more than 2 or 3 months with no money ever paid on those contracts would also hurt your JSS.

But I was paid for the first milestone in March, but he hasn't given me any work after that. He keeps saying that he needs to hire one more translator before he sends any more work when I ask him.

What should I do?

I still think this is really unfair, this should not affect my JSS!

Sarah B wrote:

My stats: 

Clients who would recommend you 100%, so that is not the problem.

That only updates after every several contracts, so you can't know that there isn't a negative factor in there.

Sarah B wrote:

Am I being punished for a client that I have an open contract with but hasn't assigned any work since March?

If you have never been paid on the contract at all yet, then that's culprit. If you were paid under that specific contract (not by the same client on a different contract) then that could be it.

PS -I see you had a contract close in July, when did that close? Before or after last Sunday?

It was closed this Monday (6th)

Sarah B wrote:

It was closed this Monday (6th)

OK, so that's not it either... 

The contract with the client from March, was anything paid under it back in March? I know contracts with no earnings at all hurt at the 2 month mark.

You do have more open contracts than closed ones and they don't all look like they're likely to be all that active.... At least 5 of them look like they were done and completed and just never closed. 

You really need to get into the habit of encouraging your clients to close contracts when the work is done. 

I have 23 open contracts which I consider excessive,and some have been dead for ages, but I have near 300 overall....

I was paid 11 USD for a test on the 7th of March by that client, but since then the contract is idle as I wrote before.

I have 5 closed contracts with 5-star reviews and 8 that is open and has been for quite some time. 
The ones that are open are clients that continually send work through new Milestones.

Except for one, which has paid me for one milestone but there was an error with the amount. The client is having a hard time to correct this with their client. The contract was for 38 USD but the milestone only 10 USD. I did the job and was promised that this was going to be corrected and they would pay me the 28 USD too.  This hasn't happened yet unfortunately.

Any ideas?

novaks
Community Member

This happend long time ago to you, but it just happened to me.

Im new to upwork (joined 40 days ago), i've had 5 star reviews from all clients, they are responsive and thankful for the work in my private chat with them. All the contracts that are open they paid me with whatever they owed me.

Today i login and i see my JSS dropped at 89%... Can you help me to understand how did you get yours back up at 100%? What did you do?

The only person who didnt give me a reivew, was my lowest contract on upwork (15$/hr) that i did. They just dissapeared on me (even thought they paid me), after i finished the job they never said anything...

I've asked the support for this client so he gives me an answer, upwork reached to him, then he said that the paymend is finished, he is happy, he is willing to work again on future etc, but he vanished again.

I mean if clients give u 5 starts and positive text feedback, and then rate you 0 - isn't that completely unrealistic? My JSS showing 89% now from 100% of last week, and my chat with clients is flourished.

Do interviews affect JSS? There are some interviews that i don't accept to work with after i know the conditions. Maybe they can rate you low on purpse?

Any idea?

petra_r
Community Member

Riard R wrote:

I've asked the support for this client so he gives me an answer, upwork reached to him, then he said that the paymend is finished, he is happy, he is willing to work again on future etc, but he vanished again.

That contract isn't affecting your JSS at all because it wasn't closed, but I would never, ever, under any circumstances get Support to chase after a client. As a client, I would not appreciate such harassment from a freelancer and it would seriously affect the feedback I would leave for such a freelancer. If a client doesn't close a contract, close it yourself. Don't harass the client and for certain do not make Support go after them. Whatever were you thinking?

Riard R wrote:

Do interviews affect JSS?

Not at all. The only thing that can have caused your JSS to drop is poor private feedback on a contract that ended in the two weeks before the last update, which was yesterday.

moonraker
Community Member

Riard R wrote:

I mean if clients give u 5 starts and positive text feedback, and then rate you 0 - isn't that completely unrealistic?

Maybe, but the private feedback is more likely to be realistic because it's private. It's the 5 star feedback visible on your profile that would more likely be unrealistic. If you think they should both match, you should be more careful about what you wish for.

Riard R wrote:

I've asked the support for this client so he gives me an answer,

That's not cool.

Riard R wrote:

Do interviews affect JSS?

No.

Hi!

I couldn't do anything about it, sorry 🙁

But I then got a big contract that bumped it up so my JSS went up again. 🙂
suyaka
Community Member

I experienced a similar situation. Approximately two months ago, I secured a higher-value contract compared to my usual ones, and we are still actively collaborating. However, on September 6, 2023, my JSS unexpectedly decreased to 89%.

I was seeking answers, and yes, I did receive a response that stated, "Not all projects and clients are equal. If a higher-value job is added to your JSS, it might outweigh lower-value jobs." However, in my opinion, this doesn't make sense because how can my current client, with whom I am still actively working, provide me with a review if the contract is still ongoing? Please enlighten me thanks.

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths