🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS is not updating
Page options
7a057797
Community Member

Low JSS

Hello, I was working on Upwork for about 2 months, having my clients satisfied with my work and giving me either 4.5, 4.7, or even 5 stars and awesome feedback, and all the work was done completely, when my JSS appeared it is 77%. How did this happen?

Additional notes:

- All contracts ended successfully when they offer me and I accept them, but not all of the interviews or invitations ended up being contracts or offers, Does this affect me?

- How can I overcome this problem as it destroyed my profile, reaching out to new clients became hard (I only have two long term clients, who came before this problem, how can I harness them to overcome the problem)

Thanks in advance 🙂

ACCEPTED SOLUTION
3a49d474
Community Member

...having my clients satisfied with my work and giving me either 4.5, 4.7, or even 5 stars and awesome feedback, and all the work was done completely, when my JSS appeared it is 77%. How did this happen?

Public feedback does not affect JSS. But the private feedback does. Your JSS is low because the clients(Probably the projects ended with 4.5 and 4.7 stars) haven't given you good private feedback.  

https://support.upwork.com/hc/en-us/articles/211068358-Job-Success-Score 

Additional notes:

- All contracts ended successfully when they offer me and I accept them, but not all of the interviews or invitations ended up being contracts or offers, Does this affect me?

No

View solution in original post

640 REPLIES 640

I don't understand, if I close a 5-star contract most of the time, jss drops, how does this happen?
now 87% down

c0605600
Community Member

Hello Members!
What if I don't send any proposals in 2 weeks? Will my Job score start to decrease from 100%?
Thanks in advance.

Hi Abdul,

Your JSS can change for a number of reasons, even without recent activity. Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when it is calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out.

For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

Your JSS can change because:

• You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • A higher-value job is added to your JSS and it outweighs lower-value jobs
  • Past jobs are no longer considered because they fall outside the time frame
~ Joanne
Upwork
osama_minhas_786
Community Member

Does it effect on JSS if i do not send the proposals a complete month?

Hi Osama,

Not submitting proposals shouldn't directly affect your JSS. Remember that even if you have no recent work completed, your score can change if good or poor outcomes fall out of your best score window, or if jobs started months ago mature to become long-term relationships or remain with no earnings and no feedback for multiple months.

If you have not completed a job for months it might mean that there are not enough jobs in your 6-month window to calculate a 6-month JSS from, so it has to calculate your JSS from your 12 or 24-month windows. Also, contracts fall out of your calculation windows.

Your best JSS score will be displayed based on the rolling windows when calculated. Sometimes, new contracts are added that impact your JSS. Other times, old activity is aged out. For example, a contract will no longer count in your six-month JSS window once it is six months and one day old.

• A higher-value job is added to your JSS, and it outweighs lower-value jobs
~ Joanne
Upwork
1686f767
Community Member

How to improve my JSS?

624c8880
Community Member

I need help on how to increase my job success score, I have no work at hand now

Hi Adam,

Your JSS reflects your overall contract history with your clients and is based on your (or your agency's) relationships and feedback. We won't reveal the exact calculation for your score because doing so would make it easier for some users to artificially boost their scores. To ensure fairness and accuracy in the marketplace, we need to maintain some privacy with this metric.

• You’ve received poor public or private feedback from one or more clients
  • You’ve received very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients

I suggest that you continue applying for jobs and winning projects to get more feedback from clients and potentially increase your JSS. To read more on this, kindly check this article.

~ Arjay
Upwork
dereje-gesit
Community Member

I completed 5 jobs with 5 stars. My stats for client who would recommand you is 80% and I have 25% for the long term client attribute. My last completed job was on May 7 and I earned morethan 1k on my last job. Today, I was expecting my jss(89%) to change but still, It's not moving up or down. Honestly, I'm very disappointed. 

Hi Dereje,

Please know that your Job Success Score is calculated on rolling windows, and the highest score in this rolling window is your Job Success Score. Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the dollar weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how JSS is calculated here.
~ Luiggi
Upwork

Hi Luiggi,

According to the link you shared, a JSS can change because:

In my case, I have completed a job on May 7 and earned more than $1,000. I also received a five-star public feedback. So, regardless of the private feedback the client gave me for the job, my JSS should have go up or down when it is calculated on May 14. Anyways, I appreciate your advice. I was just feeling disappointed and needed to share my disappointment with the community.

same is here.now a days i really disappointment because there is no order
to start my career
front-end-guy
Community Member

Hi. I want to ask why my JSS is not updating?

I've got feedback from a client yesterday, and the JSS stayed at 79% even though I got 5 stars and should increase a lot since I've only had a few clients.

Here's my profile -> https://www.upwork.com/freelancers/~018042838e8af571b9

Matej B wrote:

I've got feedback from a client yesterday, and the JSS stayed at 79% even though I got 5 stars

The JSS only updates once every 2 weeks, on a Sunday evening UTC. The last update was on the 6th of February, so the next one is due this Sunday.

Petra R wrote:

Matej B wrote:

I've got feedback from a client yesterday, and the JSS stayed at 79% even though I got 5 stars

The JSS only updates once every 2 weeks, on a Sunday evening UTC. The last update was on the 6th of February, so the next one is due this Sunday.

Hi Petra. It looks like it's still not updated since it's still 79%.

Can I see what makes that 79% in my case?

Or is there some other possible issue 

You have one ended contract since the last update. If the client gave you for example 8 out of 10 in his private feedback, your JSS can stay the same. 

Updating JSS does not mean it has to change. What date do you see in your stats page? If it is yesterday's update, then the calculation has taken place. 

Yea it's feb 20, so it's updated already. 

Thanks 

Hello,

Over the past two weeks, I have successfully completed a project and closed the associated contract. However, my Job Success Score (JSS) has not been updated

5a2f04c5
Community Member

Hi there, 

I am currently at 75% job success and I am hoping this month I would get to 90%. I would really apprecaite if someone could share some tips to increase my job success score. 

Hi Yvonne,

Thank you for reaching out to us. We suggest that you continue applying for jobs and winning projects to get more feedback from clients and potentially increase your JSS. To read more on this, kindly check this article.

~ AJ
Upwork
patriciakan
Community Member

Hello all,

I just closed a new contract with a new client on Upwork and i got a 5 stars review with positive feedback but i noticed that my "Clients who would recommend you" dropped from 100% to 93% so i asked the client about her private feedbacks and she said that she didn't put this score on purpose.

This got me really upset because the job was successfully completed as she said in her feedback.

Is there a way that she can change this score for example by enabling the client to change feedback options?

Thank you in advance

Patricia

Top Rated Freelancer

daniel_epstein
Community Member

Hello everyone, 

I have over $60,000 in total earnings on this site with over 2,594 hours on different projects. I have worked on upwork for the past 3 years (up until 2022 when I decided to get a salaried job).  I am now looking to come back, however when I left I closed 2 contracts where I worked 0 hours (the employers were unresponsive). Now my JSS score went from 100% to 60%. Is there any way to remove these contracts so the stop effecting my JSS score? It doesn't seem to make much sense to have a rating system like this.

Thanks everyone. 

Ok

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the drop in your JSS. Your Job Success score is updated every two weeks, and it’s important to note any movement in this score (either up or down) reflects both recent activity and activity over a longer period of time. Because we look at trends over a 24-month period, you can see your score change, even without recently closed contracts, due to past jobs slipping out of the 24-month window.

Many factors go into your JSS calculation, including public and private feedback given when the contract is closed, the weight of the contract, etc. We won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how your score is calculated here.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork
e6dc5a2d
Community Member

After I got one negative and a few positive reviews my job success score stopped at 69%. But then I get 5 and 4.5 stars and my success score is still 69%. Why is that? 

I think it completely depends on Upwork.

Hi Yevhen,

Thank you for your message. I am sorry to hear about the drop in your Job Success Scores. Job Success Scores reflect many factors, such as public and private feedback, long-term contracts, and repeat ones. You can monitor your Job Success Score on your My Stats page. Check out this guide to learn more about the factors affecting your Job Success Score.

Thank you,
Pradeep
Upwork
624c8880
Community Member

Receive only 5+ public and 10+ private feedbacks for 2 years.  Then 100% is your.

hollowayromero
Community Member

I completed 3 contracts in the past 2-3 months and my JSS score hasn't improved from 56%. I have no less then 4 stars on my jobs. It's hindering me from being taken serious by clients. I feel I'm being punished for doing good work and being buried in the sea of bad freelancers with low scores 

Hello Romero , the JSS is calculated based on the private feedback given by the clients.

I understand that . It's still not going up or down and I have no less than 4 stars on all my contracts. There excuse was there wasn't enough data to change my score. That makes no sense. Also why have two different rating system and bot fiplay it accurately it's just dumb. If your a bad freelancer people should know based off your public reviews. Don't have it so you have 5 stars publically and 1 star privately that's a dumb system 

Name one system that gives you feedback publicly and bashes you privately?  They say they need more data for your JSS  score but make it harder to get more data. It makes complete  sense.

I also find it crazy that all 6 of my completed contracts gave me scores that all kee me at 56%

yes i do it

3e860559
Community Member

I have completed 4 jobs on Upwork, and all the 4 clients gave me good reviews and ratings(above 4.85), what could be the potential reason of low JSS and how can I improve it?

Hi Muhammad,

I'm sorry to hear about your current score. Please remember that your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

I'm afraid we won't be able to share information about any specific feedback, but you can check the explanation of how JSS is calculated here.
~ Luiggi
Upwork
Community Member

Hello everyone,

I'm seeking help regarding my Job Success Score (JSS). Despite consistent 5-star ratings, my JSS remains at 99%. Is private feedback the sole factor? Any insights or advice? How can I improve this?

Thank you!

Public rating is minor factor. Majority factor is private feedback. 99% is great!

e0ab57e3
Community Member

Hello Upwork Team, I have successfully completed jobs with 5 stars ratings but my JSS score is not increasing please check why my JSS score is not updated.

thanks,

a852fea7
Community Member

how are you doing?

I have completed 4 jobs at upwork with a rating of 4.5 stars or higher and have received high feedback from clients.
I am also working on two new projects.
But my JSS is strangely at 59%.
I don't know the reason. Please ask for help.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members