🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS lowered even though all client feedback i...
Page options
benaleh
Community Member

JSS lowered even though all client feedback is 5-star / successful

Recently my JSS lowered from 100% to 98% even though all jobs are successful with 5-Star reviews. I was trying to figure out what happened and I found some documentation that mentioned open contracts with no new payments for a while could impact my score. Is this accurate? 

I have a client that I did a lot of work for but needed to put a hold on his project so I haven't recorded any hours since January- and at this point, he has been unresponsive.  Is this open contract negatively impacting my score? Or, is it something else?

Any insight would helpful-Thanks!

9 REPLIES 9
robin_hyman
Community Member

Based on previous discussions about this on the community, I'm going to say it was the last 5-star client who gave you less than stellar private feedback. It could have been by mistake, but it happened. 

Having a job open when payment has been transferred doesn't affect JSS. 

How can you JSS lower even when someone rates you 5 stars? Isn't that what goes into your score?  Are you saying Upwork has a secondary private scoring method that overrides the visible one?

Ben Y wrote:

How can you JSS lower even when someone rates you 5 stars? Isn't that what goes into your score?  Are you saying Upwork has a secondary private scoring method that overrides the visible one?

That is exactly right. The stars look nice on your profile, but are largely meaningless for JSS. Your most important metric is the clients that would recommend you percentage. 

That interesting....because my "clients that would recommend you" percentage remained the same.  I do understand Upwork does not disclose exactly how they calculate the JSS.

Ben Y wrote:

That interesting....because my "clients that would recommend you" percentage remained the same.  I do understand Upwork does not disclose exactly how they calculate the JSS.

It does not update at the same time as JSS, in order for you not to know which contract impacted it when. 

That is sneaky!

It's called private feedback for a reason. Clients provide their real feedback privately and can write whatever they want publicly. 

Fair enough- I certainly appreciate the 5-star review but I do wish the clients would let me know if there is an issue so that I can address it.

Ben Y wrote:

Fair enough- I certainly appreciate the 5-star review but I do wish the clients would let me know if there is an issue so that I can address it.

It's still a very good score, so I wouldn't worry too much about it. 

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members