🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS not clear
Page options
jademilburn
Community Member

Upwork - Job Success Thread **title edited**

I want Community Forum Moderators to add to this thread, and really listen to what is going on.

I, like many others am sure have the same story.

I used to love Odesk, and got many job interviews each week. I had all 5 star feedback, and glowing written references from my clients. Then Odesk made alot of changes and introduced Job Success rate. I was shocked that mine was 67%. That was until I looked at other discussions and heard of other people who had five star feedback, lots of good references and yet had a very low job success rate.

This system is beyond unfair as

!)Upwork introduced new changes and a new feedback system. They should NOT include information that people believed was being entered anonymously, prior to the changes. The Job success rate includes information that clients did not think would be shown publicly. They left star feedback that would be shown publicly. You CANNOt use retroactive data for a new system.

2)Since the Job success rate has been started, I am now not getting invited to interview for ANY jobs, so how could I get my Job success rate, even if I tried?

You have made a very bad error with this.

Can every freelancer on this forum who wants to get rid of the job success rate feature, reply with 'Get rid', and lets see if they listen to us.

1,457 REPLIES 1,457

When you close a job on your side, the client does not need to leave feedback. No feedback = no scoring of your performance. When you have many jobs behind you, closing the occasional job yourself does not really do much for your score. With eleven jobs under your belt, though, it could give it quite a dinge.

You could write those clients and ask them to leave you feedback. The trick, however, is to ask them to close on their end - they then have to leave feedback. 

Of course, you also get the private scoring that counts a lot but which you as a freelancer cannot see. 

A score of under 90 is not a death knoll, however. And I know what I am talking about when I say this. Due to a few unfortunate events a number of months ago, my JS dropped drastically...but I managed to build it up again. You can as well.

Thanks for the prompt response, Irene. Well, I guess some people are just too occupied to close a job and leave a feedback. And I can't pretend there's a silver lining, considering how slim my chances are in this cut-throat competition. But anyway, your experience does bring some respite. I'll hang in there! 🙂

You are eligible. you can apply even if the client say 90% is preferable.

Because , many clinets do not rate on JSS. When you apply they do read your letter & see portfolios

and your performance with other clients.

As you know JSS is not kown to any body. Helpdeak say they do no reveal because Freelancer would manmulate it.

However , many clients, in case 90% person is not suitable for their job specification, then they do consider others.

In fact , I do no have 90 % job score from quite some time. Still I got i past 3 monhts , three jobs.

Clients selected in cpmpetition with 90% JSS.

Note JSS is not the method of measuring onc merit. It is decided on the discretion of Upwork. These thngs some clients know. However it is for freelancer to explain to the clients.

You do apply.

Thanks

Chilkunda

The JSS is indeed visible to clients, Mr. Chikunda. But I'll take your advice. Thank you. 🙂

Hi Chilkunda,

Job Success Score is based solely on the outcome of a user's contracts and not "decided on the discretion of Upwork". We have shared with you various resources in which you can find more information about the score's calculation, so please go through them and let us know if you have any questions.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Zehra,

I am in the same bat as you and I have to try to explain this to clients to try and get jobs when most clients want you to have 90% or better.  It is just getting crazier and crazier on this site.

-Katrina

Anonymous-User
Not applicable

@Katrina W wrote:

Zehra,

I am in the same bat as you and I have to try to explain this to clients to try and get jobs when most clients want you to have 90% or better.  It is just getting crazier and crazier on this site.

-Katrina

Are you sure that you have a profile on Upwork? 

It really is something curious. I also not find their profile Smiley Surprised
@Katrina, why not do your profile "public"?
That way we can comment on specifics, not about what you tell us.

At this point there is no need to discuss this further as this whole situation has been very unproductive and this forum is not really to help people.   I have found some of the staff to be rude in their responses and unwilling to hear about real problems and try to address real issues.  Instead, Upwork has brought up information and questioning why I have done what I have done and when I respond to help you guys to understand my reason for a certain action.. it is removed.  I am looking for solutions and a positive way to resolve matters, but help people to understand why some policies need to be reviewed and changed.  This attempt was unsuccessful.  I will have to find other means to bring important issues to require action.

@Katrina

This answer, in my country, is called "go off on tangents." I do not know if it makes sense in English.
If you're so willing to get help, why not allow to see your profile?
To me this does not smell good, really.
Is there something to hide?
And I ask you again, why if I search your name on the list of freelancers you do not show up?

Let me correct you, I am not going off on a tangent. No need to continue to entertain something that is not going to produce me any other results than what I have received thus far.  If you were really willing to help me, you would have already without the sarcastic comments.  I choose to use my time for more productive outlets.  I am willing to get help from people who are willing to listen and be open to changing policies. I am not getting that from you or the forum so I will choose not to keep going over something that is pointless.  I wll just leave enjoying a laugh knowing that you are perplexed over why you can't access my account when you are suppose to be the guru.  Just because you perceive it to "not smell good"  or assume negative thoughts, that sounds like a personal problem that you must deal with, not me.  I am on Upwork hence...I 'm communicating with you.  I don't have anything to hide and I don't need to prove anything to you either.  As so far, it hasn't gotten me anywhere.  Since you are a guru that you say your are, then you can take the time and answer your own questions.  I have no more time to engage in an unproductive conversation.  Have a great day!

Hi all,

I removed a few comments earlier and would like to ask everybody to treat each other with respect, courtesy and to be professional at all times.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

Hi Vladimir,

I feel good that you do, but there are times when it would be better to leave public to see who we're dealing.

Since you are Upwork team, if it's something you can share, can you tell me how it is possible that someone in the forum but if you are looking for the name does not appear anywhere?

I really feel very curious about this.

Hi Maria,

If a user sets their profile to private, it wouldn't appear in search.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

OK thanks.
I thought if it was "private" you could not access it, not "disappear" 🙂

Another thing I've learned !!

Okay, yourself!

By the way, I'm no "Guru".
I use the forum, most of the time, to find help about doubts and if I can help someone, the better, especially if he / she really wants to be helped 🙂
Also to expose possible fraud, it must be said.

So good luck with your problems. I hope you find a solution.

kazansky-yury
Community Member

I have completed 3 projects and received 5 stars for all of them.

Is there any reason my job success score is 82?

thanks

@ Yury --

(1) Your Profile is not Public. How can anyone who cannot see your Profile give you useful insight into your Job Success Score (JSS) ?

(2) Two words: Private Feedback.

ok now its public, but where can i even check my private feedback?

Hi Yury, 

I checked your account and can see that you are an exclusive member of the agency you are affiliated with. The JSS score on your profile is the agency's JSS score. 

Freelancer's and clients do not have access to private feedback given to them, as such, you will not see this in your profile. 

~ Avery
Upwork

@Avery O wrote:

Hi Yury, 

I checked your account and can see that you are an exclusive member of the agency you are affiliated with. The JSS score on your profile is the agency's JSS score. 

Freelancer's and clients do not have access to private feedback given to them, as such, you will not see this in your profile. 

thanks for your kind feedback,

does that mean the only way for me to have more jss is to leave agency (besides agency will rise its score) ?

Thanks and Regards

also will my jss be recalculated if i leave agency? thanks

Hi Yury,

As Avery stated the score on your profile is not your own but your Agency's. You don't need to leave the Agency in order to get your own score. If you change your Agency affiliation status to a non-exclusive member, you'll be able to get your Job Success Score once you complete enough contracts as explained here

The contracts you've completed under the agency will be counted in your Job Success Score.

~ Vladimir
Upwork

@Yury K wrote:

thanks

I can't see your profile but you have to have 4 jobs to have a JSS so if you only have 3 on your profile, you probably refunded one and that takes off the public feedback but not the private feedback...  

@Jessica S wrote:

@Yury K wrote:

thanks

I can't see your profile but you have to have 4 jobs to have a JSS so if you only have 3 on your profile, you probably refunded one and that takes off the public feedback but not the private feedback...  

thanks for your reply but i had refunded no job, I had started 3 contracts and finished them all with 5 stars,

probably that's also related with the agency.

boriesjerome
Community Member

Hi !

I  hope someone can help. I am working as a freelancer for a few months, i have 4 contracts ended with 5.00 and 1 with 4.80, but my success score went down to 89% a couple of month ago... i ask support why and they didn´t give me any answer (it´s a secret formula!!)... Can someone review it and tell me if it´s ok and what can i do, since 89% is very bad score for me (don´t qualify for many jobs since they asked for 90% job success score).. I really love upwork but very frustrated with that...

Thanks

ps. i also didn´t understand why it appears i have no long term client since working on a weekly basis for more than 2 month with one client...

I had a client interview me, tell me they were going to offer me work, and then back out and never talk to me again. That job somehow counted towards my score, which brought it down.

I think it's a nonsense metric because it doesn't measure the quality of your work or how often you complete jobs. 

@Winter T wrote:

I had a client interview me, tell me they were going to offer me work, and then back out and never talk to me again. That job somehow counted towards my score, which brought it down.

I think it's a nonsense metric because it doesn't measure the quality of your work or how often you complete jobs. 

If there was no contract after the interview, your JSS would not have been impacted at all. There are other factors that contribute to one's overall rating, such as private feedback, or having too many open contracts etc.

Hi Winter,

I can confirm the information that Nichola shared. Interviews that haven't resulted in an offer do not affect your JSS. Only active or past contracts are included in JSS.

~ Valeria
Upwork

You can still apply to jobs - you JSS doesn't prevent you from doing so.

As for your score - do a search on the forums - this subject has been covered and discussed thousands of times. Better than starting yet another thread.

I can't answer the question about how long a time makes a longterm client.  However, a JSS of 89 is really good.  Go ahead and apply for jobs that "require" 90% or above.  That is just a suggestion and you are free to apply to them.

erxhan
Community Member

I thiunk this hidden feedback is wrong because of the client suggestion thing. Most client would rate you with 8 because they think its good but not greatest and the 8 for upwork means negative outcome of contract.
I think upwork should put the reccomendation as one of the stars in the feedback so it can be shon publicly.
We as freelancers need to know if we did something wrong as we need to know where to improve.
In my profile all clients rated me with 5 star and a client rated me 4.8 (because they didnt got more than what they payed for) and i see job recomendation is 93% 
Cmon guys.
Clients can also leave negative feedback just because you dont accept their non sense requests that you didnt agreed since the beginning. At least you should allow all freelancers to disute a negative feedback so upwork team can get into the conversations and determine is the clients feedback is right or wrong and eliminate it from JSS.
Thats why it is called feedback.
If you did something wrong you need to know what is that in order to improve

The whole stupid thing needs a serious overhaul. As mentioned above, clients have no idea that what they choose for the 1-10 private feedback rating has dire consequences for the freelancer's reputation.

I had a recent client that was "moving fast" as he filled out the feedback card, probably choosing ratings at random. Whatever he chose, it dropped my JSS from 100% to 91%. I brought it up to him and he apologized profusely (even apologizing again when he revised his public feedback), saying it was a mistake. He contacted CS, but was told it's impossible to change private feedback, ever.

Seriously, Upwork. Figure something else out.

there should be no private feedback because as you mentioned your case "client was in a hurry".
If upwork checks through my messages they gonna see all my clients love working with me and are very satisfied with my work.
There are people that never give 10 vote because they think its something divine lol. 
and seriously consider a negative contract with an 8 thats something out of logic
if upwork wants to work that way 

they should change the reccomendation to a simple yes/no answer because thie current  way confuses also the clients

manaunni
Community Member

Btw, is there any way a freelancer can know what private feedback is given by the client?

No, there is absolutely no way of knowing what the private feedback is. That is why it is called 'private feedback'. You could ask the client, if you wanted, although there is no guarantee they would tell the truth.

If their private feedback also going to affect a freelancer JSS, then there is no point.

erxhan
Community Member

i think there should not be a private feedback and public feedback.
they can't coexist

manaunni
Community Member

Even if they exist, private feedback cannot be used for evaluating JSS

kulichd
Community Member

Hello everybody! I want to thank Upwork for his policy forced me to actively **Edited for Community Guidelines** to find customers elsewhere. It makes me more active and independent of wacky rules of Upwork. Thank you Upwork. Sorry for my english.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members