🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS score keeps getting low
Page options
899297ce
Community Member

JSS score keeps getting low

Hi everyone,

I completed 4 contracts so far on Upwork and I have only 5 stars reviews. I have always done the job as requested and also did some extra work when they kept changing their mind.  
I really don’t understand why the score keeps getting low, it went from 100% to 75% (I discovered this 3 days ago) and now  is 73% and this is affecting the number of  job invites I get.
I used to be invited 2-3 times a day and now zero.
I have all the evidences in my favour and I would request the Upwork team to please help me in that regard. 

I have 2 active contracts right now, one of them has the due date to 24 June, the job was done in time but he didn’t pay that milestone yet, can this affect the score?

Really hope to solve this issue as soon as possible because is affecting my Upwork experience and the score is much far from the truth of the events.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Alessandro

ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I see no point in speaking to Upwork support, Alessandro. I don't see what they can or should do. 

The system is working as intended, as far as I can tell and we don't get to have feedback overturned just because we don't like it. (Asides from the top-rated perk, but you're not top-rated anyway). The system would become redundant otherwise. 

It's best to just move on. A low JSS doesn't help, but it's not necessarily disastrous either. 

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
e825750a
Community Member

Hello,
We don't know all algorithm for Jess calculation But working on projects which due date are outdated don't affect your JSS.
Thanks,
Bruno

Alessandro.

Some of your clients will have left 'poor' private feedback. The visible feedback you can see on your profile doesn't affect your JSS. 

Hi Jamie, thanks for the reply.

That's the main issue, someone left a poor private feedback and I wouldn’t be here if I knew the client was right. I really don’t see a reason for that feedback, I always deliver on time and communicate through the process, not to mention that I do this job from almost 10 years, so I'm conscious of my skills and the quality of the work.
I guess this is what happens at the beginning when you need to work with difficult clients in order to get some reviews , I really wasn’t expecting this since the jobs were easy tasks for my skill stack.
Is there a way to communicate with the Upwork support? I think this is unfair and I would like to dig a little deeper.

Hi I don't know how much the earnings were but if you refund the customer, the outcome I believe, is removed from your JSS score at the next review date. So if you can afford to take the hit that may solve your issue.  Regards

Andrew M wrote:

Hi I don't know how much the earnings were but if you refund the customer, the outcome I believe, is removed from your JSS score at the next review date. So if you can afford to take the hit that may solve your issue.  Regards

Refunds don't remove JSS influence of the contract. It only removes the feedback in the work history.

I see no point in speaking to Upwork support, Alessandro. I don't see what they can or should do. 

The system is working as intended, as far as I can tell and we don't get to have feedback overturned just because we don't like it. (Asides from the top-rated perk, but you're not top-rated anyway). The system would become redundant otherwise. 

It's best to just move on. A low JSS doesn't help, but it's not necessarily disastrous either. 

hello, my name is Mazhar. my JSS is too less(43%), I need your help. For the reason: I hired a new client at 120 $ per main to complete his work hourly rate per hourly rate calculated to be 118 $ than he gave me a dispute with me or the work was done then the client gives me a bad review. My loss: I didn't earn any money and even got a bad review for free.

AveryO
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi Mazhar, 

I am sorry to hear about your score drop, but we're afraid that we won't be able to comment on an individual score or how specific contracts affect it. Factors such as private and public feedback, the dollar weight of the projects you've completed, and the long-term relationships with your clients can have an impact on your overall score. You may want to check this article to learn more.

~ Avery
Upwork
2e3159a5
Community Member

I have got the exact same issue with my profile as well. I always got only 5-star feedback and anyone can clearly note that by looking at my work history. All the clients I dealt with were very satisfied and thankful, so they all gave me 5-stars all the time.

The only bad thing that has happened was 2 clients canceling their contracts, telling me they solved their issues themselves, but they were small projects (under a $20 budget) that took place in 2020, and none of them complained to me or anything. 

But still, my JSS is getting lower every 2 weeks, after I recently started working on Upwork again. It has been 91% when I recently started again. It became 88%. Today it became 86%. I only did 2 jobs after I started recently after leaving Upwork in 2020. I am pretty sure that those 2 clients were super impressed with those two jobs and it is clearly noticeable to anyone with their feedback given to me as well. It is highly unlikely that they have given me any bad private feedback provided their public feedbacks are super positive (I have attached a screenshot of those here). 

So there is something clearly wrong with Upwork in my case and I don't understand what it is. Can someone from Upwork please look into what is specifically wrong here? I can not continue working if I don't understand what is happening. 

Hi Nalith,

Please know that your JSS can change because:

- You receive poor public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- You receive very positive public or private feedback from one or more clients.
- A higher-value job is added to your score and outweighs lower-value jobs.
- Jobs you completed in the past are no longer considered because they are outside the score's time frame.

You can find more information under the "Why did my Job Success Score change?" section in this help article. To ensure fairness and avoid manipulation, we don’t share the specifics about how we calculate the Job Success Score. Thanks for your understanding.

~ Luiggi
Upwork
2e3159a5
Community Member

Hi Luiggi,

I know what can change my JSS. I have read everything about it hundreds of times. 

If you read my message, I have clearly mentioned that I have done only 2 jobs recently after leaving Upwork for almost 2 years I started with a 91%, and after super positive feedback from those 2 clients, I am now finally at 86%. Please at least check the screenshot that I attached and don't mention the same old general things that I have already read about. 

Can you please explain why such a thing can happen? Is it possible that one of my clients is a scam who tells things like super impressed, extremely happy, very thankful, deserves more than 5-stars, to me personally and in the public feedback as well(All my clients told me like that), and at the same time tries to purposely ruin my profile with bad private feedback?

That is the only possible explanation I can think of, but yet I can not even guess who that scam can be, because everyone who worked with me told me that they were super impressed, and the two clients, whom I recently worked with after almost two years have even given extremely positive personal and public feedback to me as you can see in my screenshot. 

If I can not find any explanation beyond all the general things you mentioned, that I have seen so many times already, all I can think of doing is, not working with any of the clients that I have worked with before, which would be painful and quite hard for me. Still, I won't be as excited and motivated as before, thinking that the client who deals with me very nicely and gratefully, telling me that I am a lifesaver, can be an imposter and a scam at the end of the day behind my back.  

Do you agree with my thoughts about scams? Or else please help me with a logical explanation of my specific problem.

petra_r
Community Member

Basically, you no longer have enough good outcomes in your maximum 2-year calculation window so whatever not-so-great there is in the calculation window is affecting you more every time a good outcome falls out of the window.

As soon as you have completed enough new contracts to calculate a 6-month calculation window (4 or more with feedback), those old factors won't matter anymore.

Also, don't forget the private feedback...

2e3159a5
Community Member

You are saying that my 6 months and 12 months calculation windows are not considered because of not having many contracts done recently yet, right?

Well, that is a very good explanation Petra. I'll stick with that. Thank you very much! 

petra_r
Community Member

Exactly.

Latest Articles
Top Upvoted Members