🐈
» Forums » Freelancers » JSS went down to 94% with no 'clear' reason.
Page options
amenallah-atrous
Community Member

JSS went down to 94% with no 'clear' reason.

I worked on many projects, all were done with positive feedback, but I noticed that my JSS dropped from 100% to 94% and it didn't raise again even when I'm having more and more successful contracts.

I need help.

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
wlyonsatl
Community Member

Alaa, 

Upwork doesn't want the exact calculations of the JSS to be clear.

Others here may be willing to analyze all the public information about your various ratings from various projects and tell you what might have caused the drop in your JSS, but the one thing no one here has access to is the all-important private feedback from any of your clients. That feedback is, according to some posters here, a major component of your JSS.

Upwork allows clients to leave private feedback that can be completely different than the public feedback you can see. Of course, it is in the nature of things like this that private feedback can be the same as public feedback, or it can be significantly negative compared to public feedback, but private feedback will never be higher than public feedback.

A JSS of 94 is not the end of the world. It's above Upwork's own arbitrary score of 90 and a little time and better client feedback in the future will drive it higher over time.

tlbp
Community Member

Do you not suppose that the most recent review in which the client gave you 4.8 stars is the clear reason? Yes, 4.8 is still a good rating. However, the JSS is aimed at detecting a "great client experience." 

With regard to the private vs. public feedback issue:

The nefarious "private feedback" differs from the public feedback because it asks a different question. A client may be well-enough satisfied with the freelancer's performance on a single job as to not give them a low star rating. However, when asked whether they would align their reputation with that freelancer by recommending the freelancer to a colleague or friend, they might quite reasonably feel that the answer was no and thus deliver a private score reflecting that sentiment. 

I have worked with freelancers who performed the job at a level that was satisfactory. But for reasons such as they manner in which they communicated or choices they made during the work process, I wouldn't recommend them. I have other freelancers whom I do recommend. It is not deceitful or lying to give the former freelancer 5 stars for each of the criteria displayed as public feedback while at the same time giving them a 7 or lower in the private (net promoter score) evaluation. 

Private feedback is treated as if it is some huge, mysterious element. The reality is, your "public" star rating assesses (for the most part) your technical or hard skills--did you do the job correctly? Meanwhile, private feedback provides a look at how the client would assess your soft skills--did you deliver a level of customer service that would entice the client to recommend you to others? 

In Alaa's case, it looks like his most recent client was signaling that even though he was satisfied with the work (at the given price), the quality could have been just a bit better. This fact might not prevent the client from re-hiring Alaa but could prevent that client from wholeheartedly recommending him to others. 

yitwail
Community Member

Tonya P wrote:

In Alaa's case, it looks like his most recent client was signaling that even though he was satisfied with the work (at the given price), the quality could have been just a bit better. This fact might not prevent the client from re-hiring Alaa but could prevent that client from wholeheartedly recommending him to others. 

That could be, but then it was a bit disingenuous for that client to write, "I would recommend Alaa to anyone and I will be using him again in the future!" Anyway, only Upwork knows for certain why his JSS might have dropped.

John K wrote:

Tonya P wrote:

That could be, but then it was a bit disingenuous for that client to write, "I would recommend Alaa to anyone and I will be using him again in the future!" Anyway, only Upwork knows for certain why his JSS might have dropped.

True. This is the second time OP has received a 4 for quality. If I were looking to shore up my JSS against future drops, I would focus my attention there. We've learned that the "would recommend" stat updates don't correspond with the public reviews, so maybe there was a past private review that is just now taking effect. Or, a positive review may have fallen out of the calculation window. 

The whole "no reason" or "no clear reason" thing just gets so old. We all have events that can trigger a JSS drop. Does it really matter? Look at anything that is less than perfect and work on improving it and you'll become a better freelancer and make more money. 

Re-reading OP's first post, it appears it wasn't the most recently closed contract that caused the drop anyway. So, it may have been one of the other less than 5-star review client that caused the drop for no clear reason. 🙄

Latest Articles
Featured Topics
Learning Paths