Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: JSS

Ace Contributor
Jonathan R Member Since: Mar 6, 2018
11 of 2,414

Petra,

My old profile that was closed.  That use to be attached to this account.  Please dont ever say something not possible that really is.  Your disrespect on these forms is not approate.  

Thank you

https://community.upwork.com/t5/user/viewprofilepage/user-id/53732

Community Guru
Martina P Member Since: Jul 11, 2018
12 of 2,414

Jonathan R wrote:

I basiclly stopped doing business on the upwork platform for the same reason.  I been a freelancer for almost 10 years.  But due to me only having 4 or 5 long term jobs on upwork as needed that never closed due.  Upwork/Odesk dropped my score below 60% after 6 months.  I check every few months to see if they changed anything.  But until they change there JSS system, I rarey accept anywork on the platform.  

You have no upwork history or JSS, so you are in the same situation as many hundreds of thousands of new freelancers that have not won their first job. So you are no way at any disadvantage, or am I missing something?

Ace Contributor
13 of 2,414
My orginal freelancer account is closed.

If you look at towards the beginning of this thread. Your see my original post in 2014.
Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
14 of 2,414

Martina- I think Jonathan's issue might be that he had long-term contracts going back years that are dropped from his JSS if they are older thn two years and that he uses the platform unfrequently.

This JSS works for people who consistently use thie platform and engage in many separate contracts over short periods of time and long periods of time at the same time.

If you are a freelancer who just supplements their income with Upwork with occasioanl work, or uses it as a fallback when times are tough, the JSS system totally disorts a freelancer's record.  Let's say a freelancer had used upwork from 2013 to 2016 and had many contracts with great ratings.  Then worked a full-time job 207-2018 and worked for a single client on upwork all that time that left him a bad review on one contract.  All of a sudent, he loses his job in 2019, in January, and needs to use Upwork as a fallback.  Except now the JSS will literally only count the 1 bad contract for his score and ignore his great work from earlier.

This may not be many people, but there are people that are suffering from less stark exampels of wha I laid out here.  The simple fact is that Upwork has not even bothered to account for outliers with less standard or less desired types of engagement that falls away from the constantly engaged ideal JSS rewards.  JSS needs to find a way to not misrepresent less frequent users and protect longer term histories.  But instead, it does noting, NOTHING, whatsoever, to take these less common circumsances into consideration.  That is why SO MANY longer-temr freelancers are complaining in these forums abotu JSS.

Community Guru
Petra R Member Since: Aug 3, 2011
15 of 2,414

Jonathan R wrote:

I basiclly stopped doing business on the upwork platform for the same reason.  I been a freelancer for almost 10 years.  But due to me only having 4 or 5 long term jobs on upwork as needed that never closed due.  Upwork/Odesk dropped my score below 60% after 6 months.

So you thought you open a duplicate account? How's that working out?

Ace Contributor
16 of 2,414
Never opened a duplicate account. I have one for hiring freelancers as i still have active project with a freelancer.

I dont appreciate the assumption being made before you know all the details.
Ace Contributor
17 of 2,414

Emma,

Same experance here.  Its funny to cause there current clients now.  2 years later I doing work for them.  

Community Guru
Brian F Member Since: Jun 4, 2013
18 of 2,414

"Emma,

Same experance here.  Its funny to cause there current clients now.  2 years later I doing work for them."

TEXTBOOK example of what I have been talking about.  Ignorant "Guru" responds to Jonathan as if he is a new freelancer and has no history.  Doesn't account for the fact that his contracts could be open longer than JSS calculation window and that the system penalzies him for this.  Nope, just attacks the freelancers wthout aknowledging potential real flaws with JSS.  Like amost every "Guru" except for Will.  This system needs to be fixed, and fixed now, period.  The responses from Gurus and moderators are often disrespectful and insulting.  It's time to acknlowedge that there are many freelancers who don't use the system the same way most freelancers do and that the system penalizes them for this, and not poor job performance.  After you admit this, FIX IT!  Peoplestarted and still have contracts that are open and started before JSS was introduced and JSS kills their score because of this since they don't have a bunch of new contracts to offset.  This is just not the way to run a rting system!!!  

Community Guru
Tonya P Member Since: Nov 26, 2015
19 of 2,414

So OP is inviting clients to leave Upwork and take their work off the platform? Isn't that a violation of the TOS? 

Highlighted
Emma C Member Since: Nov 26, 2017
20 of 2,414
I am active on three platforms and I have not invited clients but I do let others know I am available privately and on other sites. It’s easy for people to find me if they want to. That’s not a violation at all!
TOP SOLUTION AUTHORS
TOP KUDOED MEMBERS